Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shooting your carry gun
Had a special training class today at our agency range.  It was a four hour shooting course specifically for the off-duty carry weapon.  No duty belt/holster.  Only whatever you would normally carry off-duty.  I enjoyed it thoroughly!  Very little classroom and almost all range time.  Two-thirds of the shooters were carrying Glock off-duty.  Everyone was appendix carry with at least one spare mag.

Drills included:
  • COM torso and head shots from concealed draw at close range to include reloading from concealed mag pouches and malfunction drills.
  • Turning to see and engage a threat till the threat had ceased.  This drill offered available cover, moving to cover, COM and head shots as well as horizontal movement to threat when cover was unavailable to present a moving target to the threat.
  • Multiple threats.
  • Shoot/don't shoot multiple targets.
  • Targets that turned to face you.
  • Moving to cover and shooting from behind cover on both sides.
  • The final gauntlet was a a combination of all the previous drills.  

What I really liked is that it offered very realistic situations and allowed you to move in multiple directions as necessary, seek cover, tactically cover threats when down, tactical reloads, malfunction drills etc.  Also, what to do after the threat had stopped i.e. seek a more advantageous position such as cover, call or direct someone to activate 911, announcing yourself to the citizens around you so they don't think your a bad guy, how to interact with responding Deputies/Officers/Troopers that may not be from your agency and may not know you etc.  

Very good class and we can take it as often as it is offered.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Sounds like a lot of fun.
I was a well spent four hours.  Usually training at the agency range is all related to duty gear and pistol.  And at a regular range they frown on letting you do the stuff you really need to practice (drawing, covering, moving to cover, movement, firing from different positions etc).  It takes going to a specialized tactics course to get that kind of stuff but then after the class is over where can you really practice it.  Sure, some can be dry fire practice but nothing quite like actually doing it live fire with some stress placed on you.  

That's why I'm glad you can take this course as often as you're able to take it.  I'll be looking for the next class and hopefully it will be on a day off so that I can attend.  Although possible to attend while I'm on duty it isn't probable.

Wife and I both will be shooting our carry guns this week. We are signed up for the Prairie Dell IDPA match. I shoot Thursday with the other match directors and she is competing on Saturday. We are both shooting our G19s. This will be her first sanctioned match she is shooting in.

I went over the matchbook with her and she was surprised by some of the stages.

Here is a link to last years match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiKqwobgqAs&t=21s
Good video.  One of my takeaways from the course was something Wyatt Earp said in one of his few interviews, "Speed is fine, accuracy is final".

Yep, you can't miss fast enough to make up for the lost time.

Since they have changed the scoring in IDPA, it has changed people's approach. Each point now adds a second to your score and a miss adds 5 seconds. Hitting the down zero is important if you want to finish towards the top.

I will be trying out new sights at this match. I switched my Trijicon HD orange front sight for a Trijicon HD XR front sight. I was having trouble hitting the 6 inch plates at 15 yards with the HD sight because it covers the whole target. I'm hoping the XR sights will solve that problem.
Rhonda has been carrying the G43 more often, so tonight we are going to the range so she can fire 100 rounds through it and get some practice with it. I figure I will shot the G26 tonight since it hasn't had any loving in a few weeks.
Got the Gen 4 G26 inspected and approved Thursday and qualified with it yesterday afternoon.  Shot quite nice and I did notice that I picked up that orange front sight much easier.  So it's all official now.  Now just have to wait for another open range day that's on a day off so I can really put it through it's paces.  Got a new box (50) of 124+P GD issued as well which always a great bonus.

We went down Friday evening to the indoor club and fired 150 rounds.

Rhonda has been carrying the G43 more and more, so she was practicing with it at 10 yards. 

I was practicing two things. One shooting with both eyes open. I keep wanting to shut one, but I'm getting better. I also was practicing my double tap. Trying to get the second shot off as quick as I could find my front sight. I did do 10 rounds strong hand only and you can see I let one fly into the 3 area. I figure if I keep practicing at 10 yards, I will eventually get use to both eyes being open.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple people injured in shooting at Tennessee church bmyers 9 140 09-28-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Shooting your carry gun in competition bmyers 3 85 09-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Concealed Carry Insurance JRSC 7 177 09-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Getting the wife out shooting bmyers 3 132 08-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
Question Belly band for IWB carry? David 5 303 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Last Post: A3M0N
  Constitutional Carry JRSC 10 776 05-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Switching Carry Guns(Again) Ronin.45 29 1,695 10-23-2016, 09:59 PM
Last Post: mac66
Exclamation Tennessee Businesses That Disarm Concealed Carry Permit Holders Now Liable for Their David 5 585 07-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Last Post: David
  more slingshot shooting ghost 1 322 05-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Last Post: David
  slingshot shooting ghost 0 381 05-26-2016, 01:20 AM
Last Post: ghost