Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food shortages in europe due to weather
Countries in the Mediterranean have suffered what has been described as the “perfect storm” of poor growing conditions, including horrific floods on the south-eastern coast of Spain, one of the worst-hit areas was Murcia, which is the heartland of lettuce production in Spain and one of the biggest lettuce hubs on the continent. In 2013, Murcia produced 370,451 tons of lettuce, and the year before that the region accounted for 74% of all lettuce exported by the country.

After the floods came the cold. Freezing conditions across Spain and Italy wreaked further havoc on crops as an extreme frost set in, and that was made yet worse by Murcia suffering its largest snowfall in decades last month. It has left people unable to drain the land, and meant they could not get back out there and grow more crops.

This matters because the UK imports more vegetables from Spain than any other country. More than 25pc of all of Britain’s vegetable imports came from Spain in 2015. Of that, Spain provided more than 60pc of cabbages, cauliflowers and lettuce. Overall the UK imports 50% of its vegetables and 90% of its fruit.

There are also shortages of and rationing brocolli and courgettes, because of weather damaged crops in Italy and Spain, this discruption well not may continue for at least 6 months according to the UK government. So a year at least then. The rest of Europe has also had weather problems with more rain and freezing in areas that normally have mild weather. So we in Europe can expect further shortages of crops still in the ground still being effected by weather conditions and delays in replanting, late planting will mean more weather problems to dry/ to wet / to cold/ etc lower yields.

Lettuce last month was 29 pence a head today it is £1.30 ahead and rationed, brocolli and courgettes are x3 the price they where a month ago and also rationed. There is also the knock on effect with other vegetables being bought which in turn raises there prices as availability decreases.

While doing my research i read that California the world's richest food-producing region has a massive drought causing a loss of 30% of its cropland. With a “Godzilla” of an El Nino event predicted for this coming winter season in the U.S. 

The USA is a large exporter of food to the world, China has and is buying massive amounts of grains and soya beans, more than they normally do. Also the Chinese government has bought large tracts of land in sub sahara africa and is setting up farming.

I would suggest reviewing and updating your food prep planning i know i have. I now look at weather events today in the context of what food crops will be damaged or wiped out in two to three months and how planting is effected.

We as a group have even started looking at security of our own gardens and not from the normal rabbits ( which are very tasty BTW ), cann't eat people never know where they have been or what you will catch.

All in all a rather depressing picture “Any society is three square meals away from anarchy”  as they say.
Very interesting. Along with beans and rice and popcorn, we usually buy cheap canned fruit once each month and bring them home to pop in the dehydrator. We manage to get about 40 number 10 cans (the really big cans) dehydrated and sealed into a mylar bag then put them into a 5 gallon bucket. I estimate that 3 of these buckets is what is needed to keep a family of 4 supplied with fruit for one year. Lasts dang near forever, is cheap, and really adds variety to a bowl of rice or oatmeal.
This is a good reminder of why we do what we do.  It really is a balancing scale that can easily be tipped.  Storms, flooding, cold and even earthquake/volcano can really have a dramatic effect for a large portion of a country or even countries.  A domino effect.  

Wolfman, from what I understand, many families in the UK and Europe (if they are able to) have gardens?  And I've heard that raising rabbits is popular on your side of the pond since it doesn't require a large amount of space.  Seems to be popular in Canada as well and has been catching on somewhat here in the states (though by no means is it main stream).  What you describe really hits home the importance of raising as much of your own food as possible and learning to make it sustainable.  For example, we don't have to buy the various lettuces to plant as the bed reseeds itself.  I want to learn how to take a cutting of a tomato plant as well.

The more you can raise the less you'll have to depend on outside sources to resupply.  As you say, it may be up to a year before things normalize and that's only if the weather cooperates.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
We grow most of our own basic vegetables carrots/onion/potatoes/tomatoes etc, it a family tradition going back to WW2. In the past 2 years we have been also growing black pepper and bell peppers. This year we are adding afew chilli seedlings to see how they fair. Our preps do include alot of seeds which we rotate by growing them, I have noticed there are alot of out of stock / back ordered on the sites that sell seed and the prices are up 10 to 15% over last year, something to watch for and plan for.

I have 2 greenhouses original one 1 is 8' x 12' and was built in 1986 and is glass paned. The newer one we put up in 2014 and is 8' x 16' and uses polycarbonate panes, both are aluminium framed. Newer one is stuffed with trays of seedlings, yep alot of lettuce which we will plant early and protect with 2lt bottles.

I wish i could spare the room for a 3rd green house to try and raise more dwarf citrus variaties, but i will stick with the what we have in pots, 1 x Meyer's lemon 3 x Tahiti Limes, just finsh pruning them this weekend. In winter we move them to the consevatory to protect from the chill. Picking up 2 more dwarf lime and a dwarf lemon in early march from the local nursery.

We do not raise rabbits yet as there are thousands of the buggers about locally, which we hunt with bows and crossbows mostly, but if things go pear shaped the wild ones would be gone in 2 weeks. We have a concrete block wall that surrounds the garden but where are several trap "gates" at ground level to allow rabbit access when desired for the pot, something gramps showed me.

Several others in our group have more land and raise rabbits and chickens, one has 11 goats (really good when slow cooked as a curry over rice) and hopes to increase to 25 - 30 over the next 2 years by raising them rather than buying in animals. He is looking at raising rare breed pigs (cornish and yorkshire cross is the current favorite) for prepping and as an income stream.

As a group we are discussing raising wheat and corn hidden in off book fields at our BOL site, for prepping and to avoid the several hundred pages of forms the government demands you fill out as well as the impact study the green wheeners demand now.
Price update regular iceberg lettuce is now 70p down from 130p, but still limited to 3 per purchase, brocolli and courgettes have not dropped in price but are not rationed.

At least 2 more months before replacement crops can be harvested, that being said the news has reported alot of the smaller growers have not replanted as they have gone bankrupt.
(03-21-2017, 01:32 PM)Wolfman Wrote: At least 2 more months before replacement crops can be harvested, that being said the news has reported alot of the smaller growers have not replanted as they have gone bankrupt.

That will hurt in the long run.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My food storage plan Scout 14 3,520 04-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  MREs vs Can food Tom Mac 10 1,669 11-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David
  Dog food bmyers 1 603 08-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Food Storage Plan A3M0N 15 3,147 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
  How long will my freeze dried food last Rusty gun 6 1,633 05-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Emergency food ration bars David 16 5,123 09-09-2016, 12:39 AM
Last Post: David
Question Trail food David 12 4,773 10-23-2015, 01:07 PM
  Bugs As Food JRSC 1 1,530 08-03-2015, 02:38 AM
Last Post: JRSC
Video How to Store Food in 5 Gallon Buckets David 1 1,214 07-14-2015, 07:26 AM