Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peak 8 or Peak Interval Training
Ran into an old high school friend who is retired but does marathons and bike trips etc. He spent his career as an exercise physiologist.  We were talking working  out and he suggested looking into Peak Interval Training aka Peak 8. 

The idea is that no matter what you do to work out, do this and only this one time a week.  You can do it with just about any kind of exercise.  Basically you do the exercise as hard as you can for 30 seconds and then slack off for 90 seconds. Then repeat.  Do 8 intervals.  You want your heart rate to peak 8 times thus "peak 8". What it does is stimulate the heart, lungs and the short endurance muscles.  My wife and I have been doing it off and on for about a year. You do have to build up to get 8 intervals. I've kinda slacked off last fall because I was taking care of my dad so much but I am now working back up to it.   I found it really helped to get through the plateaus you get into when exercising.

Start with two or three repetitions and work your way up, don't expect to do all eight repetitions the first time you try this, especially if you are out of shape.  It is a real lung burner.
The 90 seconds is rest time?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(01-30-2017, 12:29 PM)David Wrote: The 90 seconds is rest time?

Yes, go thirty then go slow but don't stop for 90. You want your heart rate to peak each time. Example would be on an elliptical/stationary bike etc ....warm up slowly for 3 minutes, then go as hard as you can for 30 seconds then slow down for 90 to recover, then go hard for 30, slow for 90.  Can do the same thing on a bike, swimming, walking, running. When running you would sprint, then jog, then sprint, then jog.   My wife does it when she is walking, I can't keep up with her. It doesn't however work very well on treadmills because they don't speed up or slow down fast enough.

If you are weight lifting you would want to use light weights and do as many reps as you can for 30 with upper body, then jog in place or do situps or something else for 90, then lower body reps for 30. (Planet Fitness has a 30 minute work out room where you do a weight circuit and then steps/exercises in between sets. It's kind of the same but their intervals are wrong. It's still good exercise but I use that room to do the Peak 8 with weights about once a month)

The idea is to stimulate the short muscles (aka fighting muscles) which you don't do when you go long distances or long sustained exercise. You want your lungs and muscles to be burning each interval. You only want to do this once a week or so and you don't have to do the same exercise every time. In the summer I do it on my bike or walking outside. In the winter I alternate between the stationary bike, elliptical, or weights. That's after I've built up to each of those exercises. I only do the weight thing once a month. But I do lift a 2-3 times a week.

If you want to know more google Peak 8.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Realistic fitness training... jayclimber 2 548 12-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Last Post: bdcochran