Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David's rabbit & quail thread
Star 
Wanted to start a specific thread where I can keep track of breeding, hatching and such.  Any questions and/or comments are welcome along the way.   Smile

Bred all the does today.  February 17th is the date to put in all the nesting boxes.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Two of the three does have kindled.  I'll try to get a count tomorrow in the light.

Both does pulled a lot of fur so I probably didn't get that accurate of a count due to the kits all being huddled up with each other and I didn't want to disturb them too much.  But I figure that each had at least seven.  I'll know better as they get older and bigger.

David, you've probably mentioned it before somewhere but what breed of rabbits are you raising? We've been raising New Zealand white does with California bucks for about 5 years now. Lots and lots of meat and almost as tender at three years old as they are at sixteen weeks.
The buck is an Altex.  Two of the does are English lops and the third doe is a Cali/NZ mix.

I've done it now for one full year.  I've enjoyed it for the most part.  

How often do you breed your does?

We breed ours twice each year (4 does and one buck). You can actually breed them again as soon as you wean the kits, but it's not great for the health of the does. We get enough meat from the four does that we can eat rabbit twice per week if we wanted to but we usually put about half in the freezer for winter time. It makes good stew for winter months and it's really good in chili.
I've seen some folks talk about breeding up to 6-8 times a year.  Essentially not long after they've delivered a kindle.  The justification is that this goes on in the wild.  But then, in the wild I would imagine the life span being fairly short as well due to multiple factors.

I may breed once more before summer but then I'll likely give them a break during the hotter summer months.  This current kindle should be weaned towards the end of March/beginning of April.  I'll put them on CL for any that may want to buy them and then butcher the rest.  The bacon-bunny burgers I made this last time were a huge hit.  The hind quarters were also very good in the marinade I used.

From what I understand, a doe is good for about 2 years or so of breeding?  Has that been your experience?

I have one doe that's 5 years old still breeding. But, I only breed them twice each year so it's not so hard on the does bodies. Honestly the 5 year old doe consistently has 10 to 13 babies each time and I don't remember every having lost a single one out of her kindles. I'll probably just let her finish out her days. Not to sound like a sissy, but I can't stand to butcher an animal that I've had for that long which has been so good at it's job. The other does usually go about 3 years then they go into the freezer.
That's not bad at all. Two of mine are a year and a half and the other a little less than that, about a year.

Forgot to post the kit count.  One had 9 (two didn't make it) and the other had 11.  Put them up for sale for the end of the month.  Any that don't sell get turned into bunny-bacon burgers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  David's quail thread David 5 1,586 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: David
  Rabbit food David 1 987 10-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Thumbs Up Quail David 48 8,588 10-15-2016, 11:46 AM