Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reloading
Just came back from the local indoor range ( yes can you believe there are even ranges in NY ) and did a couple hours of reloading.

It got me thinking about my favorite loads for a couple of guns I usu shoot. I was wondering what is your fav round and load ?

Here's two of mine.  *** caveat, ALWAYS work up your loads in your gun as what works in one may not in another - safety first ***
TMK these are not above book.

10mm ;  180gr bullet, 10.2 grs of Bluedot ... warm load about 1150-1200fps but very accurate, a bit loud, some flash
45acp ;   230gr bullet,  6grs of Unique...  typical ball ammo speed of 850fps, Unique can be a bit dirty

BTW, cost without cases seems to be running about 15 cents per
Back in the 80s I did a lot of reloading mostly 45 acp and 38 spl because I was in a couple of pistol leagues (IPSC and PPC). It became easier after awhile to simply buy reloads and I probably have a couple thousand empty shell casings of each lying around in boxes. I also loaded .357 and 44 mag for handgun silhouette shooting. Then life got in the way (career/kids, etc) and I didn't do any reloading for 25 years

A good .45 acp load that is both pretty mild but met the IPSC power factor was 5 grs of Bullseye behind a 200 gr SWC

During the 90s shooting switched to mostly 9mm, 5.56 and 7.62x39 and surplus/bulk ammo was so cheap I didn't reload that stuff.

In recent years I've only reloaded small test runs for various hunting rifles. (375 Win, 35 Rem, 30-30, 308 etc)

In 2015 before going to Alaska I loaded up some heavy 305 gr 44 mag ammo to carry. I think that was the last time I reloaded anything.

Been meaning to get back at it and my son is urging me to buy dies and reload 5.56 and 300 blk.
Haven't reloaded since I was a kid, and then it was super-twerked rifle rounds and mass amounts of shotgun loads.

I soooo want to get a Lee Hand Press though for .357 fun. And maybe 30-06.
I should mention that I have a Lee turret press which I bought back in the 80s.
I used to use a Dillon 500 set up with all the goodies. When I began converting over to 3 standard platforms I sold my whole shebang including tumbler, vibrator, press and dies. Wouldn't mind getting back into it later on.
Dillon is nice, no doubt about it.... Ive tried one
I have 3 presses now, 2 set up and running and I leave them that way ( third is mounted but in use only now/then ).
2 Lee classic turrets and a Pro 1000.
The LCT will do for me about 150, in 45acp, per hour taking my time, while the Pro, in 10mm, does 225+. These are all target rounds, the third press I use for those special rounds like when I hand weigh , etc

I guess it all comes down to the cost vs how much you shoot and your time. I fiq it comes down to over 500 rounds per month. Right now I'm just running at that level of 4-500 rounds a month and it takes me about 3 hrs to load same... with a Dillon I'd prob cut that time closer to 1 hour+. But since I'm retired it doesn't make much diff yet.

I want a Dillon, but at this point can't convince myself it's justified
I've been reloading for 9 years now, it's hard to pick and exact load but I guess I would have to say
.308 155 lapua scenar with 42g of imr3031
And a shot gun slug - 1 oz thug slug, 24g of unique.

I've been using a single stage since I started for Rifle/pistol (rcbs) and shotguns (Lee)
But the shot gun slug is just fun just because they are quick and easy esp. using a drill to roll the crimp.
And the lapua because of the accuracy.

I have a long standing process for the 300 bullets one the single stage that it is just hard to justify upgrading it.
But the shot gun slug is just fun just because they are quick and easy esp. using a drill to roll the crimp.

I've never loaded shotgun... How does the drill method work ?

( have seen a friend load Blk Pdr shotgun but they didn't crip at all , just manual loading and glued top )
(01-14-2017, 05:29 PM)ETom Mac Wrote: But the shot gun slug is just fun just because they are quick and easy esp. using a drill to roll the crimp.

I've never loaded shotgun... How does the drill method work ?

( have seen a friend load Blk Pdr shotgun but they didn't crip at all , just manual loading and glued top )

Here is the YouTube video with th ballistic products roll crimp

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlysb5JuKVg

The ExactaRoll Double-Pin Roll Crimper 12ga
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ExactaR.../ROLL12EX/

And I've known some people make their own hull vice, I used my hands but after 20 they started to hurt, so I bought the ballistic products hull vise, which was quick, easy and painless.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Hull-Vi...info/VISE/

In the video he used a drill press, I'm just using a cordless drill

I have the Lee single stage for regular shot which doesn't use the drill, but I don't use glue for that either. I just press them with shot cards.   This has been a learn as I got process for shotshell since I don't know anyone else near me that loads shotshell.  The slugs was from YouTube videos to save money on slugs for 3 gun match.
Thanks for the info

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reloading Tsquare 40 11,465 06-22-2016, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Tom Mac