Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool water approach
This is going to be co-listed in energy or wherever appropriate but...one of my latest things is this:

We all know water is a critical item, if not THE most critical overall.  Here is an easy and function stacked approach to storing it. I am currently in the process of filling a small floor freezer like this and will be working on my garage based beer fridge/freezer next.

#1 You will need
- One 1L plastic soda bottle
- One drop of dish soap
- One liter of your choice of water (Tap is fine)

#2 Take the empty soda bottle and rinse it, clean it with one drop of soap and hot hot hot water, and rinse until clean.
- You DO NOT need to boil, sanitize, sterilize or any of that non-sense.  

#3 Fill bottle about 75-80% full of water, cap and put in the freezer.
- That's right, the freezer.

Here is what you now have:
First - those soda bottles are super-durable.  way more so than milk jugs (which are designed to barely stay together).  The soda bottles handle citric acid, etc...

You have a well defined amount of water that can be used to drink when thawed.  You have water that is portable - just throw the jugs in the trunk and go!  And you have a whole bunch of 1L ice cubes for whatever purpose.  Put one in a cooler and see how long it lasts.

Now for the super bonus:  These will help your freezer use wayyyy less energy!!!!!  Freezers work best when there is more ice in them and less air space.  It takes a lot of juice to keep the air cool.  But that ice?  It's just like in a cooler - but much more effective.  So fill all available freezer space with these.  Portable water/Ice on hand, and reduced energy bill.

In a grid down - these will REALLY help keep the food in the freezer cold for a lot longer.  If you need the space in the freezer, toss one in the Fridge.  when it melts, drink it and refill!!!

*Not going to debate the "soda is bad" issue. Get water bottles then, or juice, or have a friend keep them or whatever. Don't care where you get them - just get them.
Cool ideas! 

(see what I did there)  Big Grin
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
We use this same idea already but we use the square juice bottles as they are a little tougher and they stack better and have wider mouth. Ocean Spray cranberry juice bottles are real square.
I pack the back freezer with bottles because in the summer I rotate bottles in/out of the rabbit cages to keep them cool.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question So how much water DO you need? David 10 1,296 01-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Last Post: David
  Bulk Water storage part 42387514 ric0123 17 1,807 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Water distillation David 9 2,380 09-23-2017, 12:57 AM
Question Survival water bottle poll David 19 3,248 07-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Rain Water Collection Thread JRSC 23 6,830 06-08-2017, 03:06 PM
  Water Filter tests.. ric0123 2 469 06-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Home Brew water filters ric0123 2 604 06-01-2017, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Kieller
  Bottled water? Ronin.45 12 3,100 05-11-2017, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Kieller
  Water Purification Reference JRSC 5 1,804 01-11-2017, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Emergency DIY Water Distillation for Survival Bug-Out Bag David 0 488 11-08-2016, 01:26 AM