Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food boredom.
Most preppers store in bulk: IE beans/rice/pasta*,the best way ta turn that bland diet is spices/sauces.

Salt is a given,last forever.

Pepper,also a given.We prefer p/corns,less exposure to o2 and can be ground as needed.

garlic,we grow it.

basil,ditto

thyme,ditto

cinnamon,stored.It's not only a great spice it has medicinal qualities.We store in sealed stick form.

curry,some folk like it,I don't.I prefer mild to wild and Kat loves curry.

Changing gears. Sauces/gravies.

We eat the carp outta rice,we literally have tons of it,we also have cases of soy sauce/low sodium.If you read a soya label the salt content will cause an infarction.The downside of rice is it's resource intensive to cook.We have the resources to cook it,the trick is like beans pre-soak it.

Pasta,buy it/sort and mylar bag amounts for 2 adults per bag: IE 2 bags feed 4 adults.Those are +/- type = you know yer people.
Wouldn't it be nice to pour a pork/beef/chix gravy over the meal.Add a bit of flavor and sorta a feeling of home.I suggest storing powdered gravy mixes,a little heat/water and it's a comfort food.

Canned/jarred pasta sauces/tomato based:

Red sauces DO NOT store well in cans,the acidity will eat the can/btdt.Glass is better,but more fragile.With the spices I've posted above folks can turn garden produce into a great sauce.Fresh and you can make as much as needed.

As ta Beans,they are the most resource/labor intensive but a great bang for the $.Fat/protein/fiber and a good caloric intake.However beans are the most detested of meals.This is one area I'd reckon hot sauce/spices will really help.

We keep texas pete and a few other liquid type sauces,they won't go bad but will lose potency after opening.Also a little sugar/cinnamon/maple syrup will make them more palatable.

I hope this is a primer for you guys/gals,do the research,the info is out there.
'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Great tips on storing various spices.  Often one of those overlooked areas.  Something to put on the list for next time I'm out shopping!

My wife uses All Spice a lot so that's another to stock up on.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I keep a good bit of Old Bay and hot sauce.