Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Central Texas
Well, I've been on here for a while but never really had the change to explore. I just now saw that there was a welcome thread.

So, hey there!     I was on GT -SP for many, many years, and the prepper forum on Frugal Squirrel before that.    

Quick background.   

I'm 37.  Military Brat, but never served myself

been a prepper since 1999. I was still in college,  got caught up in the y2k thing.  Moved to Florida.. Got hit by hurricane Floyd about a month later.  I still don't understand why people in Florida don't actually prepare for hurricanes, but that's another topic. Got back to Texas soon as I could.   I was in Austin during the Bastrop Wildfires. Talk about watching Hell on Earth coming at you....

I mentioned in other threads that I'm a HAM.   I'm into it for prepping. All of my radios are hacked (we call it 'wide banded') to work on other freqs. We can discuss the legalities of that later. I don't really care. 

I'm an electronics guy. Running parallel to my prepping, i'm interested in alternative energy (solar).  I taught a 101 solar class, so i can answer some basic questions about it.   I'm good with batteries also.   I was previously a product manager and customs project designer for a security company. .. meaning, I used to build spy equipment for cops. 

I'm a big fan of practicality. The path of least resistance is generally the best, but i'm always willing to look for another opinion.

I've build several raised bed gardens, which is funny since I don't eat fruit or hardly any veggies. It was fun though.

I'm not nearly as outdoorsy as I wish I was.  Life keeps getting in the way.  I watch far too much Surviorman and Alone, and not spending enough time actually out there doing it.

My dream, as is most preppers, is to have an off grid ranch.. Both for the zombies, and also for a weekend get away, and ALSO to test all of my ideas about sustainable energy/heat/cooling/water.  I'm an engineer at heart and I can't help but think that there is a better way to do things.  I have my eye on some land, and it might actually be possible in the next 2 years. 

I spend far too much time getting lost in the black hole of you tube videos..  I'm annoyed at all of the people that build neat solar heaters, but don't do any actual scientific measurements on them.

I like guns, but i'm not nutty about them.  Guns are a tool to me (and a toy, yes).. but I like all of my guns to have a purpose.  I've got a G17, which i've had since 2000.. and I have a JRC, which is an Ar15 that takes glock mags.. I live in a major city, there is no reason for me to have a real AR, i'll never be taking shots greater than 50 yards.  I have an NEF 12g, which is a Rem 870 clone, because A: I got a stupid good deal on it and B: I didn't know anything about shot guns and i wanted some experience on something cheap. See A:  lol

...though one day I'd really love to have a 300 blackout.. for no other reason than because they are awesome.

I give out survival equipment as presents to friends, and wrote a story on GTSP about how Heat Sheets saved my (now ex ) girl friend from death, or at least hypothermia.  My new GF has 4 flashlights in her car, and 3 in her house, and uses them all the time. 

I'm interested in Bushcrafting, and light weight camping. I hope to be able to do some of that next year, test some skills. 

I took a welding class last year, again, to build skill sets.. hopefully so i can build basic stuff if I ever end up getting a ranch property.

I find Tiny houses fascinating, though I'd never want to live in one 24-7. I LOVE seeing the efficient use of space ideas

I think that's about it.
(12-29-2016, 06:01 AM)ric0123 Wrote: Moved to Florida.. Got hit by hurricane Floyd about a month later.  I still don't understand why people in Florida don't actually prepare for hurricanes, but that's another topic. 

I live in Florida and I don't understand it either.  When we have one coming towards the state you'll see Lowes and Home Depot busy as all get-out as folks are grabbing generators and plywood.  Batteries fly off the shelves and the bottled water shelves at Publix are empty.  After the storm you can usually pick up a never-used generator at a good price as folks go 'back to normal'.  The concept of having some 'prep stuff' stashed away for a rainy day is a foreign concept to far too many people unfortunately.

Quote:I mentioned in other threads that I'm a HAM.   I'm into it for prepping

That's an area of prepping I've yet to gain some experience in, but know I need to.  That's why I'm lurking all the threads you guys do.  And I appreciate the education.   Smile

Quote:I find Tiny houses fascinating, though I'd never want to live in one 24-7. I LOVE seeing the efficient use of space ideas

I'd love to get 5-10 acres and put a tiny house on it.  Be nice for the weekend getaway, camping and of course as a BOL.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(12-29-2016, 02:30 PM)David Wrote:
(12-29-2016, 06:01 AM)ric0123 Wrote: Moved to Florida.. Got hit by hurricane Floyd about a month later.  I still don't understand why people in Florida don't actually prepare for hurricanes, but that's another topic. 

I live in Florida and I don't understand it either.  When we have one coming towards the state you'll see Lowes and Home Depot busy as all get-out as folks are grabbing generators and plywood.  Batteries fly off the shelves and the bottled water shelves at Publix are empty.  After the storm you can usually pick up a never-used generator at a good price as folks go 'back to normal'.  The concept of having some 'prep stuff' stashed away for a rainy day is a foreign concept to far too many people unfortunately.

Quote:I mentioned in other threads that I'm a HAM.   I'm into it for prepping

That's an area of prepping I've yet to gain some experience in, but know I need to.  That's why I'm lurking all the threads you guys do.  And I appreciate the education.   Smile

Quote:I find Tiny houses fascinating, though I'd never want to live in one 24-7. I LOVE seeing the efficient use of space ideas

I'd love to get 5-10 acres and put a tiny house on it.  Be nice for the weekend getaway, camping and of course as a BOL.

My Father lives in Merritt Island, just south of NASA.  He said that that area had NEVER had a direct hurricane strike, which is why NASA chose that area.   When I first moved there in 99,  A: didn't have a functioning flashlight in the house B: bought a generator on clearance, with no idea what wattage it was, C: had no stored gas, or even a hose. D: No stored water.   E: bought an ELECTRIC grill.    He didn't know that this POS Coleman generator he bought didn't have enough power to run his electric grill.

I was working at the Radioshack on Merritt Island when Floyd hit.  We knew it was coming. I piled up weather radios, flashlights, batteries, etc up on the counters.  Had no sales. Nothing.  I left work early to help my family evac and found out that as soon as I left, all hell broke loose and the store got mobbed with people, grabbing stuff literally 3 hours before landfall.   

We had the same problem in Austin, Tx when Katrina/Rita hit.    Originally, there was a rumor that Katrina was headed right up Central Texas, through Houston, Bastrop and into Austin.  I was in pretty good shape but I went out that night to Academy and the grocery store for some supplies and it was a total mad house. (this is where I got my love for Walgreens..   The Grocery store HEB looked like Walmart on Black Friday, but the Walgreens across the street was Empty. I got some food, water, medical supplies, etc. and was out in 10 minutes)

The HAM stuff isn't hard.  Study some online material and go take your Tech test.  Get your first radio and learn, and then you'll end up finding things you enjoy and features you want, and off you go from there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New from Texas A3M0N 5 1,688 08-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Last Post: David