Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About flashlights
SRT3 review

Above is a link to our webmaster Racer's (aka The Outdoor Nerd) review of the SRT3.  The SRT3 in the photos is actually my SRT3 (I purchased it from Mark).  As you'll see, it is an excellent, indepth review.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(12-22-2016, 06:57 PM)Wolfman Wrote: Jetbeam JET - I MK is a good 1 x AA edc light $13.40 from gearbest is a good backup for the Archer A2, small and handy, lightweight. I have given them as gifts to all of my family and most of my friends, to such a degree it is a running joke now.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/...tml?wid=21

I'm looking hard at the Jetbeam Jet-1 MK since I read your post.  I've emailed Racer to get his input on it as well.  Thinking of a back up to the SRT3 in the 14500/AA platform.  If I can find a 14500/AA that also uses CR123/16340 as well it would be a bonus.  

Suggestions welcome.

Just purchased this:  Xtar WK42

Welltop® AA/ CR123/ 16340/ 14500 Battery Powered Flashlights CREE XRE-Q5 Portable LED Flashlight 3 modes 150-235 Lumens Camping Flashlight with Clip $17

https://www.amazon.com/Welltop%C2%AE-Bat...B018E2TLA0

Sunwayman V11R (XM-L, 1xR/CR123A, 1xAA/14500)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...php?338094
Here are some flashlight battery tips & tricks I use that some of you may find wacky or interesting. lol
There are so many options now on flashlights it can twist your brain looking at them. There are some awesome lights to be had under $50 as well. If you like AA powered lights, I suggest you own some Eneloop cells as well as Energizer Lithiums. The Lithiums are excellent for long term storage lights or multi cell lights. They are much less prone to leaking.

I also have a variety of charger options. Using a cheap NiteCore I2 charger you can run it on 110 or 12 volt. This means you can use a inexpensive solar panel to keep a small SLA battery charged and use that to charge your cells at night.
Then there is a cool Salt Water Charger made by GMAG. http://thedailyprep.com/gmag-salt-water-...y-charger/
I picked one of them up from a buddy. I have used it camping a few times. I must say it works, and is pretty darn neat to see in action. You can order 3000 salt packets from Amazon for $10! This makes it easy to use.

Also, AstroLux makes a neat light that can be found under $50 that can run 18350's or 18360s.
I source most of my 18650's (3.7 volts) from old laptop battery packs for free. Keep in mind those are normally flat top unprotected cells. So know your cell safety. I got the laptop packs by posting a post in the local Neighborhood app thing. I simply said, "I recycle & safely dispose of Old & Used laptop batteries". I was overwhelmed by the response. Within a week I had so many cells I didn't know what to do with them all. So I bought more budget lights! lol The average pack had about 8 cells, 6 of which were perfectly fine. Of course, they were all high quality cells.
Back to them being flattops. This means they have no button on the top of them. Some lights require a button on the cells to work. Depending on the light you may only need 1 button top if they are stacked in series. So how to get a button on there? I sand the top just a tad, and super glue small rare earth magnets on them. I am careful if I drop the light, I check the cells.

I can break down a whole laptop pack with my handy Leatherman Skeletool in just a few minutes.

For my portable solar rigs: I sourced about a dozen 6Ah SLA batteries from a local alarm company. These are the ones they replaced in peoples home alarm back up systems. Lots of folks are on a Maintenance Contract and they swap the batteries at regular intervals regardless of the batteries conditions. Just about every one of them has been fine for several years after I got them! lol

You will need a meter to read the voltages. So instead of buying some expensive, bulky DMM that itself runs on AA's, I bought several $2 DC volt meters. They are tiny and easy to toss in your go kit. I seal the back of them up with 5 min epoxy. They are accurate enough to work for this kinda project. Just make sure the voltage range will work for your project. Four charged up laptop cells is around 14 volts. Now all you need to do is make a holder for 4 cells out of wood and brass screws and a few small piece of wire and you have nice DIY powerbank to get you out of a jam maybe?

So anyways, sorry for the long post. I wasn't planning on going that far off on the topic. lol just some ideas. I like the free or almost free stuff. Plus, it is just good to know how to safely harvest & utilize cells in a emergency.
(01-07-2017, 10:49 PM)RicFlair Wrote: Here are some flashlight battery tips & tricks I use that some of you may find wacky or interesting. lol
There are so many options now on flashlights it can twist your brain looking at them. There are some awesome lights to be had under $50 as well. If you like AA powered lights, I suggest you own some Eneloop cells as well as Energizer Lithiums. 

+1 on the Eneloops!  I got a very good deal at Costco and also from Ebay on AA and AAA.  Energizer rechargeables also work well and they last a long time.  That's what I use to power my taser.

Quote:I also have a variety of charger options. Using a cheap NiteCore I2 charger you can run it on 110 or 12 volt. This means you can use a inexpensive solar panel to keep a small SLA battery charged and use that to charge your cells at night. 
Then there is a cool Salt Water Charger made by GMAG. http://thedailyprep.com/gmag-salt-water-...y-charger/
I picked one of them up from a buddy. I have used it camping a few times. I must say it works, and is pretty darn neat to see in action. You can order 3000 salt packets from Amazon for $10! This makes it easy to use.

+1 on the Nitecore chargers.  I've got three of them;  I2, I4 and the UM20 (for my solar panel).  Very cool GMAG charger, I'd not seen that before.

Quote:Also, AstroLux makes a neat light that can be found under $50 that can run 18350's or 18360s.

I've got one on the way right now!  Been wanting one since I first saw them.  BG had a sale I couldn't pass up even though I'd had problems with them (BG) before.  Figured I'd give them a shot so I ordered the Astrolux S1 and the Nitecore EA11.   Funny, I ordered the EA11 after the S1 and it arrived last Monday and I'm still waiting on the S1 LOL.  Tracking says it's in Mississippi so I figure Monday.  

Also a big fan of the Convoy S2+.  I have several and they have been fantastic.  I have the 18350 tube for a couple of them.  I prefer 3x7135 personally because it's still extremely bright but has the longest run time.  

Also +1 on the laptop pulls.  I've pulled from three laptops and built up a nice supply of 18650's. 

Quote:So anyways, sorry for the long post.

Don't be sorry for long posts here.  We eat them like candy.  Especially if they have pics/links/videos!   Big Grin

(12-23-2016, 08:24 PM)Wolfman Wrote: Welltop® AA/ CR123/ 16340/ 14500 Battery Powered Flashlights CREE XRE-Q5 Portable LED Flashlight 3 modes 150-235 Lumens Camping Flashlight with Clip $17

https://www.amazon.com/Welltop%C2%AE-Bat...B018E2TLA0

Do you have that Welltop?  If so, how do you like it?  I like that it has numerous options for power.  Big plus.

(01-07-2017, 10:49 PM)RicFlair Wrote: Also, AstroLux makes a neat light that can be found under $50 that can run 18350's or 18360s. 
I mentioned in my last reply that the Astrolux S1 was on the way.  I've had it now for nearly two months and it's a very nice light.  Currently using it in the 18650 configuration for run time. It is indeed bright (from what I've researched it is easily over 1200 lumens in turbo mode).  The moon mode is very nice as well.  It has an excellent fast strobe and battery check mode. Not sure what I'd used the 'bike' flash mode for and would much prefer beacon mode.
Overall well constructed and a solid light.  Like a Convoy S2+ with additional features and the 18350 tube.  For just under $20 it was a good deal.  
I've started to EDC pocket carry the Nitecore EA11.  Nice AA/14500 light with excellent clip and all the functions I like.  Great for normal operations as you can immediately get turbo or moon mode or a memorized level of brightness.  Great for emergencies as it as SOS and beacon.  Has battery check and red light/flashing red light.  And immediate access to strobe for self defense situations.  Excellent light.

I'm going to bring this up again because I am on the hunt again.

I actually may be getting a job in Risk Management and BCDR soon. I have a cheapy Chinese flashlight in my desk, but i have to bang it to come on now and then.. Again, everything I see on Amazon that has decent reviews and is under $50 has 3 modes... which annoys the crap out of me..

So, does anyone make a good quality flashlight that is CR123, or AA (1 or 2, I dont care which). that is between 75 and 120 lumens (which seems to be the limit for decent run time).

Funny enough, I have a 'cabellas' brand flashlight, which is rebranded energizer that takes 2AA (its about the size of the old 2AA maglights) but in a tough metal body. It's been my glove compartment flashlight for about 10 years now.. I have energizer lithium batteries in it that i've never changed.

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Intensi...EPXQ1&th=1
I'm going to recommend either the Nitecore EA11 or EC11.  The EA uses 14500 or AA, the EC uses CR123 or 16340 (RCR123).  You can hit up to 900 lumens with either but it has several lesser modes to preserve run time.  It has two buttons so you have options.  Push and hold one it comes on in the lowest.  Push and hold the other and it comes on in turbo.  Push the on quickly and the level you set will come on automatically.  Yes, it does have strobe, SOS and beacon but they are somewhat hidden if you don't want them normally.  It also has a red LED feature if you need it but don't want to mess with your night vision.  

Other contenders would be Utorch UT01 (14500/AA) or On the Road M3 (CR123/16340) but the Nitecores are a step or two up the ladder in quality.  With a little searching you could probably find either Nitecore between $35-$59.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  S.O.S. modes on flashlights David 8 3,971 03-02-2018, 01:18 PM
Last Post: David
Thumbs Up 26650 flashlights David 3 1,319 03-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: David