Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About flashlights
everyone loves flashlights. I love flashlights.

I wanted to bring up something that annoys me though, and my own personal opinions of stuff.

I love LED flashlights, but it annoys me how almost everything runs on AA batteries.   What do I mean?  Meaning, I was at target today and saw what looked like a 4C maglight, that was actually AA batteries. How did I know this? Because the run time was only 7 hours. That's pathetic!

I try to pick my flashlight for it's intended use. If it's weapon mounted, I want it as bright as possible and durable.  Probably will use CR123 batteries.

If it's a kit flashlight or EDC or emergency, then i want durable,  uses AA batteries (because they are available in the field/store/gas station) and reasonably bright..    WITH the cavot that the run time is decent.

For my HOME flashlights, i want durable, easy to hold/use and as LONG a run time as possible. (with the caviot of at least 100 lumens).

Why?  Because I'm going to assume that my HOME flashlight will be a bug IN flashlight, which means that i'm hunkered down, waiting for the zombies to die off.  A surefire with a 40 minute run time isn't going to do me much good.   Also,  I have a real issue spending more than $50 on a flashlight

What annoys me is to have a pocket flashlight that has 3 modes,  700 lumens and a  30 minute run time.  Strobe mode,  high/low mode, all annoys me.

You know what I come back to? What I bought today?  A maglight.  A 3 C cell maglight (there was one on the shelf next to the other one i saw)

Something like,  180 lumens,  18 hours run time,  $22.   They did away with the push button and now it's a twist like the old school 2AA units, but I don't really care.     I had a 3 C incandescent  under my bed for about 12 years. Hopefully this one will be as well

I'm also a fan of Dorcy brand lights.  They are plastic, but durable and cheap.   Ergonomics are good, i have a couple.

There it is. Rant over ;D
I want nothing to do with C cells. I have sold almost all my flashlights that aren't AAA. I want small lights with decent output and reasonable runtime. I don't need anything over 200 lumens and I prefer smaller lights so they can be carried easily. I'd rather have my Streamlight Stylus Pro with a spare set of batteries than a big Maglite. I do agree about multi mode lights. I much prefer 2 modes OFF and ON.
I always love to see the 'what' and 'why' of other folks and their gear.  Always educational.

To begin with, I love the 'blinky' modes and look for them in an EDC flashlight.  Specifically strobe, SOS and if I can get it, beacon.  My reasoning is from an emergency perspective.  Some emergencies are going to require quiet and stealth.  I would submit more emergencies are going to require being loud and as visible as possible to attract as much attention as possible.  I know folks figure that they can just 'tap out' SOS on their flashlight but are you going to do that for possibly hours or even days straight?  I like the blinky functions because I can set it on whichever is appropriate, set it someplace that can be seen and then attend to other matters (tending to a wound on myself or an injury on someone else, building a fire, processing water, getting some sleep etc).  It's working for me without me needing to tend to it.  Two of my favorite lights are the Thrunite TiS which has a hidden strobe feature and the Nitcore SRT3 which has Strobe, SOS and beacon but it's a rotary dial so I don't have to cycle through them to get to the lighting feature I want.  Next would be the Convoy S2+ lights where the blinky functions can be hidden if you want to hide them.  

I always figure it's better to have and not need than the reverse.  To that end, I'll take blinky functions all day long.

I've got about 6 or 8 Maglites.  Some D, some C and the rest AA and AAA.  With the exception of one, they were all originally incandescent.  I've converted them all to LED.  Suppose to extend the battery life x5 times.  My favorite is actually a 4C cell because it was my grandfathers.  It's old and shows wear but still runs well.  I don't know if he bought it new or used but he had it for many a year before it came to me after he passed.  I bought a couple of 2D cell Maglites at Lowes a couple of years ago cheap on clearance and converted them to LED and put them in each GHB.  I like them all because a Maglite is rugged and in a pinch makes a decent weapon.  No, wouldn't want it in my EDC or BOB but makes a great home/bug-in light for around the house or even camping if you're not lugging it far from the car.  

In addition to the LED's I've mentioned above, I got a couple of Trustfire A8's and several Ultrafire F13's.  These use 26650, 18650 or 3xAAA.  I like that versatility.  

I have two EDC key chain lights;  ThruNite TiS and Fenix E05.  Both have been great and I like a good, solid AAA light on my person.  I particularly like the TiS because it can be very bright if needed but has the moon mode (fire fly mode) for when you need just a little light and don't want to attract attention.  And as mentioned, it has the hidden strobe function.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
This kind of coincides with a previous thread. Some people like having guns in many calibers so they can utilize any ammo they come across. Some like consolidating to one caliber so they can stock up and not have to scrounge. I fall into the latter category and that transfers into batteries for me. I want a common battery and to have plenty on hand while also being common so I can find more almost anywhere. It is interesting to see how everyone approaches things from different angles.
Check out my EDC vid to see the Bushnell TRKR T150L that I use as my EDC light. Run time for the white light isn't great but if you use the red light you get a pretty decent amount of run time and it only uses a single AA battery so a pack of 8 batteries and you've got plenty do use for quite a while.

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/bushne...ht.133477/
Rec0123 Battery Adapter Converter Adapter Case For 1xAA To C Size capaciy and runtime will suffer but gives you the AA option if and when you need it.

Ric0123 take a look at the 2 x AA ThruNite Archer 2A V3 for $29, i have bought 4 to use for my families BOBs and have carried one EDC at work for 7 months now. Its been dropped god know how many time onto the concrete floor at work and even runover by a semi trialer, looks like well worn but works like a champ.

Modes & Run-time:
-Firefly: 0.2lumen(28days);
-Low: 17lumen(4days);
-Medium: 75lumen(11hours)
-High: 500lumen(96minutes);
-Strobe: 500lumen(140minutes).

I have also bought 4 x Nitecore EA45S for our bobs which i got on sale from gearbest europes website for $46.50 apiece delivered, do not know if they deliver to the USA but it is a dam bright SOB with decent runtimes.

Merry Christmas to all take care and God bless
(12-21-2016, 10:00 PM)TN.Frank Wrote: Check out my EDC vid to see the Bushnell TRKR T150L that I use as my EDC light. Run time for the white light isn't great but if you use the red light you get a pretty decent amount of run time and it only uses a single AA battery so a pack of 8 batteries and you've got plenty do use for quite a while.

I've seen those at the local Wallyworld in the camping section.  They seem to have quite a number of different Bushnell lights including headlamps.  Good prices.

(12-21-2016, 11:07 PM)Wolfman Wrote: Rec0123 Battery Adapter Converter Adapter Case For 1xAA To C Size capaciy and runtime will suffer but gives you the AA option if and when you need it.

Ric0123 take a look at the 2 x AA ThruNite Archer 2A V3 for $29, i have bought 4 to use for my families BOBs and have carried one EDC at work for 7 months now. Its been dropped god know how many time onto the concrete floor at work and even runover by a semi trialer, looks like well worn but works like a champ.

Modes & Run-time:
-Firefly: 0.2lumen(28days);
-Low: 17lumen(4days);
-Medium: 75lumen(11hours)
-High: 500lumen(96minutes);
-Strobe: 500lumen(140minutes).

Impressive run times.  I particularly like that firefly mode and the low.  Low at 17 lumens is actually enough for probably most of the tasks you'd need to do.  I also like that it only needs a couple of AA's.

Jetbeam JET - I MK is a good 1 x AA edc light $13.40 from gearbest is a good backup for the Archer A2, small and handy, lightweight. I have given them as gifts to all of my family and most of my friends, to such a degree it is a running joke now.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/...tml?wid=21
I have this flashlight:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Military-Grade-Tac...iid%253A12

It's outstanding for the price. Just keep good batteries in it. It gets pretty bright. Good for a spotlight and reaches out an impressive distance. The car charger is a big plus.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Thanks to Racer, I was able to get an Nitecore SRT3 as my main EDC pack flashlight.  It uses either a 14500, AA, ®CR123 or 16340 battery.  

SRT3

On a 14500 battery it will get 550 lumens (45 minutes run time) down to 0.1 lumens (150 hours run time).  It has a ring that allows you to select the level of brightness plus the 'blinky' functions with include red and blue strobe, regular strobe, SOS and beacon.  It has an extension tube that allows for the used of any of the above batteries.  It is by far my favorite light.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  S.O.S. modes on flashlights David 8 4,362 03-02-2018, 01:18 PM
Last Post: David
Thumbs Up 26650 flashlights David 3 1,469 03-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: David