Poll: What type of water bottle would you want in a survival situation?
Plastic like a nalgene
Stainless steel like a Pathfinder
Other, list what and why
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survival water bottle poll
IIRC most nesting cups fit on the bottom of the Nalgene....I think.  Best of both worlds.  I'll have to see tomorrow.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
My day hike belt has a 32 oz ss bottle and cup like the Pathfinder and a Sawyer filter. My GHB or "I know I am staying overnight" has a Stanley 32 oz ss canteen on one side and a 32 oz Pathfinder type kit on the other. I keep the canteen filled with water but the ss bottle contains a Sawyer filter set up. Sawyer kits also give me 32 oz soft bottles for a back up.
The basic Walmart camping tin cup (silver with little foldy handles) fits perfectly on the bottom of a Nalgene. And just fits in the Maxpedition Jumbo bottle compartment!
So far the SS option is the overwhelming favorite.  

Gotta give another vote for the SS. I have a Klean Kanteen that nests great in a Sierra cup and based on the above video this blind squirrel found a nut! I like that I can be boiling water in one container while eating/drinking coffee with the other. Weight is a big issue in many prep situations but time is as well and a nested set of stainless containers seems to me to be a worthy use of weight to maximize my time.
I keep hearing nothing but good things about the Klean Kanteen.  I have to give a shout out to the Pathfinder SS bottle.  I've had this now for a few years and have nothing but high praise for it.  Seals well and is simply a great piece of gear.  That and it's nesting cup is my go-to choice for a survival bottle.

SS for me also for many of the reasons mentioned. Another reason is that clear plastic can grow nasties in it easily by being exposed to sunlight. Ss obviously doesnt have that issue.

Also, if using iodine tablets I like to have a drink mix like tang to cover up the taste. Iodine doesn't taste terribly good...
(05-09-2017, 03:42 AM)Kieller Wrote: Another reason is that clear plastic can grow nasties in it easily by being exposed to sunlight.  Ss obviously doesnt have that issue.  

Yeah, that is a good consideration.  I'm always having to clean out the plastic watering bottles for both my rabbits and quail due to mold and other scuz.

Ok.  I will answer. 

1.  there is a difference between filters and purification.  People use the terms interchangeably and that is wrong.
     Let me illustrative the difference.  If you run water through a coffee filter, you remove mud, sticks, rocks, vegetation.  So, aah haa, get some coffee filters.  If you spend some more money, you can get finer filters which may filter out bacterias and not all viruses (which are much smaller).
     If you simply boil water, you have probably purified it, but crap remains.
     Neither REI or your sporting goods store is going to sell you a device that gets rid of heavy metals and certain radioactive materials.

2.  If you take a 2 liter Coke bottle and paint 1/2 of the outside with black spray paint, fill it with water and face it towards the full sun for 8 hours, you will have cooked the bacteria and viruses.  This is what the UN is doing to some countries.  It will not filter out the garbage, so you use a coffee filter.

3.  Oh, people will say they will chlorinate the water.  Fine, all of you who plan to do that, raise your hand.  Now take your hand down.  Next, raise your hand if you understand that a plastic container of unscented bleach will start losing it potency after three months.  You won't see many hands going up, believe me.

4.  There is a better alternative to chlorine.  Go to the federal government's web site and research pool shock for purifying water.  There are two types.  It is your responsibility to do your own darn research and learn which one to use.  Costs $7 a pound.  One pound will treat 17,000 gallons of water.  Make sure that you double and triple bag what you buy as it will react to water in the air. 

5.  I went around the world for a long time.  When I came back to the US, my dentist said I would have to stop smoking because my teeth were stained yellow.  I don't smoke.  I simply drank lukewarm tea for a year like the locals.    Go research the Chindits/the Burma Campaign.  Your literature doesn't tell you much.  Many of the US GIs died of waterborne diseases after the end of the campaign.  There were Chinese Army units attached (and you will never read about them).  They died too, but far fewer died because of waterborne diseases.  They drank only tea.

Ron Hood once related a story to me that is analogous.  For some dumb reason, he used to take people in the woods for a week of hiking without food.  By the end, the people were so hungry, they killed a small bear and ate it raw, causing all of them to be sick.  Never be in a hurry to drink water that has not been made safe.  There are no shots for cholera (rampant now in Yemen) and dysentery.

I have 13,000 people living to square mile in my zip code.  How many live in your zip code?  The nearest open water source is two miles away and is for storm runoff.  A lot of people are going to die relying upon that source of hydration.  Buy properly designed water units.  A 5 gallon paint bucket with a "2" on the bottom means food grade and will store water indefinitely.  Your empty soda pop bottle from the grocery store is not designed to last a year.  a 30 or 50 gallon food grade syrup container will store water indefinitely.  Don't bother rotating it.  Purify it when you withdraw from the barrel.  Use a cheap $10 Chinese made D cell battery driven pump and save a lot of effort.
We have a both plastic and SS. We have the plastic Lifestraw Go bottle 2-stage filter on our different get home bags. They are light weight and should provide use with drinkable water to get home from our work places. We are fortunate, we have lots available water sources, but I wouldn't drink from any of them without some purification.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question So how much water DO you need? David 10 1,294 01-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Last Post: David
  Bulk Water storage part 42387514 ric0123 17 1,806 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Water distillation David 9 2,380 09-23-2017, 12:57 AM
  Rain Water Collection Thread JRSC 23 6,830 06-08-2017, 03:06 PM
  Water Filter tests.. ric0123 2 469 06-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Home Brew water filters ric0123 2 604 06-01-2017, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Kieller
  Bottled water? Ronin.45 12 3,100 05-11-2017, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Kieller
  Water Purification Reference JRSC 5 1,803 01-11-2017, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Cool water approach Bob 3 946 01-09-2017, 02:51 PM
  Emergency DIY Water Distillation for Survival Bug-Out Bag David 0 488 11-08-2016, 01:26 AM