Poll: What type of water bottle would you want in a survival situation?
Plastic like a nalgene
Stainless steel like a Pathfinder
Other, list what and why
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survival water bottle poll
Question 
In his books and YT videos, Cody Lundin advocates a nalgene water bottle.  Here is a video example:

He's big on carrying tincture of iodine 2% to use as a disinfectant (or bleach if you have an allergy to iodine).  And of course the iodine can be used as a wound disinfectant.  

Dave Canterbury advocates a stainless steel bottle and boiling.  

In a survival situation which would you prefer to have?  And why?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I do use Nalgenes a lot when hiking or camping, but in an actual survival situation, I want any item I have to serve as many functions as possible. You cant cook in a Nalgene.
I have several Nalgene-style and Camelbak bottles.  I'm hardly ever without one when I'm out of the house.  In Florida you'd be hard pressed to see folks out and about without some sort of bottle of water or whatever.  The Nalgene and Camelbak are plastic bottles of course.  For an EDC I don't have an issue with either the Nalgene or Camelbak in my A.O. because I've got available water all over the place as well as EDC water filters and tincture of iodine 2% in my EDC.

However...

For a pure survival situation I'd go with SS over plastic all day long.  Anything you can do with a plastic bottle can be done in SS plus you can boil in SS.  Plus you could even fashion (with some supplies) a distillation device with the SS.  I keep my SS Pathfinder bottle in each vehicles GHB.

The SS makes more sense for survival.
We each carry at least one stainless canteens in our BOB's in addition to plastic, a wide mouth bottle in a side pocket of missus and my packs and a regular canteen style clipped to our belts, while the kids have just the stainless canteen. We find it easier to use the small mouth regular canteen while on the move. They cost more, weight more, but for survival the ability to heat treat water out weighs those 2 issues.

The wife and I also have 2 quart plastic GI type water bottles with shoulder straps as part of our BOB system, while the kids have a regular 1 quart plastic canteen in addition to there stainless 1 quart canteens. Our BOB's also have camelpaks in them a well.

There is plenty of water about here but the abiltiy to get to it safely if the shtf could be a whole different issue, while in the service peacekeeping (ha) i saw easy water source steaked out by 2 legged predators several times in africa and the balkans. Something to think on.

Our planning involves beening able carry enough water for at least 2 days

Have a Merry Christmas take care God bless.
(12-21-2016, 11:47 PM)Wolfman Wrote: The wife and I also have 2 quart plastic GI type water bottles with shoulder straps as part of our BOB system, while the kids have a regular 1 quart plastic canteen in addition to there stainless 1 quart canteens. 
Are these the type of 2qt you and your wife carry?
[Image: 1263-big-1.jpg]
I've got a couple of those and I like them.  They tend to leak from the cap though.  Think I need to find some type of rubber O-ring insert like you'd put in a garden hose.  Other than that they are great.
I've got a couple of the 1qt as well and they have no issues.
[Image: u-s-gi-lc-2-od-nylon-canteen-cover-new-3.jpg]

I have the Pathfinder SS Bottle set. My only complaint is a fault of my own for not buying the SS canteen set for more water capacity. It's an outstanding set however. It's rugged, I've accidentally dropped it and haven't picked up a dent yet. It's been in several fires for boiling water. No problems with it at all. Get the loop lid, it comes in handy.

As hard as I am on gear, a plastic bottle wouldn't work well for me. So my Camelbaks go with me to work. But about the only use I think I could find for them are solar sanitizing water.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
(12-22-2016, 02:06 PM)David Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 11:47 PM)Wolfman Wrote: The wife and I also have 2 quart plastic GI type water bottles with shoulder straps as part of our BOB system, while the kids have a regular 1 quart plastic canteen in addition to there stainless 1 quart canteens. 
Are these the type of 2qt you and your wife carry?
[Image: 1263-big-1.jpg]
I've got a couple of those and I like them.  They tend to leak from the cap though.  Think I need to find some type of rubber O-ring insert like you'd put in a garden hose.  Other than that they are great.
I've got a couple of the 1qt as well and they have no issues.
[Image: u-s-gi-lc-2-od-nylon-canteen-cover-new-3.jpg]

Yes just like those, our 2 quart bottles came with seals pushfitted in the cap for a good seal
IF I had to choose - Stainless without a doubt. Gotta go with a boiling container.

However - as always...I generally DON'T have to choose so....

My Jumbo has a Nalgene
I'd like to add and aluminum one to the main pack
and...I have one of those two quarts as an additional! Gets warm in Florida.
I have two Nalgene with screw lids. My wife happened to pick them up for camping. They work well. But I would likely use SS if given the option. Boiling ability is a huge bonus in my book.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question So how much water DO you need? David 11 2,349 02-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Bulk Water storage part 42387514 ric0123 17 3,005 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Water distillation David 9 3,049 09-23-2017, 12:57 AM
Last Post: David
  Rain Water Collection Thread JRSC 23 8,294 06-08-2017, 03:06 PM
  Water Filter tests.. ric0123 2 859 06-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Home Brew water filters ric0123 2 1,057 06-01-2017, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Kieller
  Bottled water? Ronin.45 12 3,904 05-11-2017, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Kieller
  Water Purification Reference JRSC 5 2,287 01-11-2017, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Cool water approach Bob 3 1,308 01-09-2017, 02:51 PM
  Emergency DIY Water Distillation for Survival Bug-Out Bag David 0 728 11-08-2016, 01:26 AM