Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRE's
Just ordered another A & B case for $100/free shipping off Ebay.  I've ordered several cases off Ebay in the past.  All the military versions with the flameless heaters.  I have them on hand as part of the food storage plan but the main uses are for our camping trips and day hikes.  Makes a nice, complete meal and I've enjoyed all of them in the A and B cases.  We've got another SEP gathering this weekend so I'll be using quite a few of the ones I have on hand for my son, his best friend, my niece and myself.  So I ordered the above cases to replenish what I'm using plus extras for the next several times.

Ebay link

I've paid as low as the low $40's for a case in the past but it was local pick up.  Even at $50 a case that is just over $4 per meal.  That's not too bad for all that you get in each package. Cheaper than I've seen at the Army/Navy store which usually tries to get like $12 for an incomplete meal.  If anyone has a cheaper source then shout out.  The ones I get are similar to the ones I had in the military back in the 80's.  I don't have any experience with the 'civilian' versions.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
MRE's arrived the other day and I was impressed to see a few news one's I hadn't seen before like Asian stir fry and a couple of others.  Looking forward to trying them out and comparing them to the ones I've already eaten over the years.

I really like MRE's for a decent, calorie loaded camping or emergency meal.

I like them but some people don't. When I was a scout master we did a lot of back packing. Everyone was into freeze dried stuff because MREs are heavy. The thing they didn't realize is that while MREs are heavier than freeze dried, you don't have to carry extra water to cook with MREs. You can heat them but you can also eat them right out of the package. I found that there is a enough calories in them that you can get by on one a day. Not optimum but doable if you are conserving food. I keep some at my hunting cabin so when I just run up there overnight or for short periods I don't have to cook.
There are pro's/cons to each.

I gotta restock MRE's. Haven't had any in forever.
If you can get your hands on the cold weather MRE s they are way way better but the main meal is dehydrated but way better.
Didn't even know there were MRE's specific for cold weather.  The one's I get are the military versions with the flameless heaters.

The cold weather is for a whole day and the main meals are freeze dried and taste good. The old MRE from the late 80s and 90s were good to chicken choke loaf with cheese