Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's my EDC gear, what is yours?
With Cargo pants:
-Wallet + keys
-Phone
-Bandana (usually two) one brightly colored for signalling/marking along with the million other uses.
-Bic Lighter with few wraps of Electrical tape that makes a dandy water/blood proof band-aid.
-Para Cord: two yards long, saved me from a leash law ticket, use it to measure openings before I try to haul something heavy through them and saves steps when a tape isn't handy and I can buy/get the right length item. First aid uses, gear securing, potential restraint, wrist loop for my walking stick...
-Swiss Trekker. I could get by with a Tinker but I prefer a larger knife when I'm in the woods and the saw. One handed opening is a big plus too.
-Buck 845 carried on my support side
-Flashlight
- SP101 (usually) LCR for deeper concealment or if backup is desired. GP100 whenever the situation allows.
-At least one speed strip. usually more in different pockets
(12-22-2016, 04:15 PM)justsaymo Wrote: -Bic Lighter with few wraps of Electrical tape that makes a dandy water/blood proof band-aid.

I like this idea.  I carry a few extra flints inside the insert.  In my EDC bag I carry one of those plastic cases with 6 or 7 extra flints and a wick.  I haven't found a lighter fluid carrier yet that doesn't leak.  To be fair, I bought a couple of those cheap knock-offs instead of the real Zippo fluid carrier.  The real one may be better.

Quote:- SP101 (usually) LCR for deeper concealment or if backup is desired. GP100 whenever the situation allows.

I use to have a couple of SP101's.  I had one in .357 and one in 9mm.  Yet two more guns I wish I still had but traded for who knows what  Blush

I've been looking at that LCR lately.  Looks like a really cool gun.  Sootch00 gives it a thumbs up.  What's your loading?

What kind of flashlight?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I'm running Winchester PDX 130gr +P ammo in the LCR. It shoots amazingly well, no problem keeping a cylinder's worth in a 6" bullseye at 25 yards. Inside of 10 yards I'd take a head/neck shot at a Grouse if I needed to eat. I have both X models - 2 & 3" The 3" gets me another 50-100 fps depending on the load but I prefer the 2" and shoot it nearly as well. The 2" stock sights are regulated to perfectly to the PDX load. Heavier bullets print a little higher out to 25 yards and lighter bullets lower.

I'm not certain the X model is a real advantage over the standard. The DA trigger is that good and with enough quality repetitions it is pretty easy to master.

The 3" LCR is a nice kit gun and the adjustable sights let you dial in a specific load.

A favorite handload is a 158gr cast bullet over a MAX +P load of Unique. Gets 855 fps in the 2" and 932 fps in the 3". That same bullet over a mid-level Bullseye load has been an excellent target and small game slayer too. I've yet to own a 38 or 357 (2"-18" barrels; rifles and revolvers) that those loads wouldn't shoot well in.

The 357 loads for the SP, GP and 77/357 and/or Marlin 1894 are the Hornady Critical Duty for carry. A 158 gr WFN cast pushed to MAX with pert near every powder I've tried (Bullseye of economy, W296 or Lil'gun for max velocity) and the 77/357 likes a 205 gr cast bullet at Subsonic (Unique) and Supersonic (Lil'Gun) velocities - awesome steel slayer.

While 38/357 is NOT my favorite caliber it is amazingly versatile, practical, capable and ubiquitous. It fits in small guns that are easily concealed and very powerful. In rifles it does very well on game, approaching rifle performance, and those carbines are typically at least a pound lighter - the older I get, the more that matters. There are jillions of GREAT revolvers chambered in it. My preference is for Rugers for the robustness of the build and I shoot them better than S&W and Colt variations I own and have shot. I'm quite certain I can keep a GP100 running longer than any other gun with the widest variety of ammo and some questionable "grubby times" handloads and I'd even bet it will still function when there is nothing but cockroaches roaming the earth.

For a Flashlight I'm running a Streamlight Stylus Pro. Anything bigger gets left behind unless I'm wearing a pack. Not tactical but bright enough to find stuff under my truck's seats, read the fine print, light my way at night, or get me out of a building when the power goes out (happened twice - felt way smarter than I am for having it with me). I have other/better lights but none travel as well. The "program compliance" rule applies - "if you don't have it with you all the time, you won't have it with you when you need it."

An emergency has never happened when I expected it. I have never regretted having gear that gave me options when I needed it. I reckon that "Be Prepared" motto stuck. If I had any more pockets in my britches I'd need suspenders.
I talked with a tech at Winchester about their PDX load out of short barrels (back when I carried either a S&W 642 or 640).  He said a lot of testing had been done with the short barrels and that it was an excellent load for such a firearm.  Good choice.

It sure shoots well in the LCRx. Velocity if I remember right was a bit under 850 fps in the snub.
Ok, I'm going to address the so called elephant in the room so to speak, I want to carry the bigger gun and all the cool stuff that you cool kids have but I can't seem to keep my pants up when I carry to much stuff... I'm having a time keeping my pants up with my usual stuff and my belt on real tight.
When I wear suspenders I can load down with more cool stuff but those things are a whole different bag of suck. I'm actually thinking about trying over-alls next...

So what's ya'lls solution/load-out apparatus?
(12-10-2016, 03:51 AM)Gene Wrote: This:
[Image: SAM_0470_zps9572494a.jpg]

Plus the wallet and keys...

(12-22-2016, 02:44 PM)David Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 09:10 PM)David Wrote: On my person I normally have:

• Byrd Hawkbill knife
  • Orange Zippo w/ranger band
  • Timex Expedition watch
  • 550 bracelet (I made this braclet)
  • Keychain w/suspension clip and SAK (Tinker), ThruNite TiS, tick key, peanut lighter and tic key
  • Vehicle keychain w/kubaton, Fenix E05
  • Glock 26 w+2 extender in leather IWB holster and one G19 mag for a total of 28 rounds
I have a sling bag with a lot more stuff that I've got listed in the EDC thread.

Here's a pic:

[Image: 31431574830_96e5f91248_z.jpg]

This is the on-the-body stuff that is always with me (unless I'm at work and then I have a different set of EDC stuff).  So even if I don't have my EDC sling bag (Maxpedition Lunada) with me I have the following covered:
  • Defense
  • Cordage
  • Cutting tools (with other tools available)
  • Fire
  • Light
  • Basic navigation (using the hands of the watch and the sun)

I figure a lot could be done with just those items if necessary.

(01-05-2017, 03:18 AM)Gene Wrote: Ok, I'm going to address the so called elephant in the room so to speak, I want to carry the bigger gun and all the cool stuff that you cool kids have but I can't seem to keep my pants up when I carry to much stuff... I'm having a time keeping my pants up with my usual stuff and my belt on real tight.
When I wear suspenders I can load down with more cool stuff but those things are a whole different bag of suck. I'm actually thinking about trying over-alls next...

I'm assuming that your holster goes inside the pocket?  I carry my IWB appendix carry and don't have any issue carrying it and the stuff I've listed in the above pic.  I've distributed the weight with the Hawkbill clipped in the right pocket, key chain suspended in the left and the G26 in front with the cell phone.  Extra mag is on the belt on left side.  I normally even carry my car keys/kubaton in my right pocket.  No issues.

Everything else goes into my Maxpedition Lunada sling bag.

(01-05-2017, 03:18 AM)Gene Wrote: Ok, I'm going to address the so called elephant in the room so to speak, I want to carry the bigger gun and all the cool stuff that you cool kids have but I can't seem to keep my pants up when I carry to much stuff... I'm having a time keeping my pants up with my usual stuff and my belt on real tight.

I'm in the same boat as you Gene. I don't carry too much stuff on body because it gets cumbersome and pulls my trousers lower and lower. I'm fat so my pants are hard to keep up sometimes as it is. I stick to a small gun either IWB or pocket(G43) and a Maxpedition pocket pouch with my knife/flashlight/money clip/advil/gum. Add my keychain on a carabiner and I'm loaded down as heavy as I want to be. To carry any more I'd be looking at a man purse like I take on road trips.
[Image: 31767008970_c56f304bac_z.jpg]

Okay, here's a pic of my Maxpedition Lunada and contents (from the top):
  • The pack itself.  It didn't show in the pic but I have a DIY 550 paracord bracelet around one of the loops on top with whistle buckle.
  • FAK that has various sized bandages, gauze pads, Israeli trauma bandages, Israeli stop-bleed bandage, alcohol/iodine wipes, tincture of iodine 2%, various 'stop-bleed' items, various ointments for itching and anti-biotic, chapstick.
  • 4000mAh battery bank with both Android and Apple cords.
  • Bandanna.
  • Disposable poncho.
  • Maxpedition Mini Pocket Pouch with hand sanitizer spray, mini Bic lighter, small Spyderco knife, USB flash drive, bits for my Gerber Suspension, emergency space blanket, various DIY fire-starting tinders (my wafers and fire straws), whistle, spare flints and wick for my Zippo.
  • MTM ventilator.
  • Mini Sawyer water filter with straw.
  • Nitecore SRT3 w/holster.
  • Nitecore EA11 w/holster.
  • Second space blanket.
  • Red Sharpie.
  • Red Jet lighter.
  • Gerber Suspension multi-tool.
  • Cold Steel serrated Tanto Voyager.
  • Signal mirror.
  • Two 10rd Glock 17 mags (had these for years and figure I'd toss them in for 20 extra rounds in addition to the spare G19 mag I carry on my person).
  • Two battery cases with 4 Olight 16340 and 4 Trustfire 14500 batteries.
  • Back flush syringe for my Sawyer filter.
  • Surveyors tape.
  • Compass.
  • Hand sanitizer.
  • Pen.
  • Two different eye glass wipes.
  • Pencil sharpener
Even with this stuff the pack isn't heavy or awkward.  The pack also has a third strap so that you can secure it if moving fast.  Plenty of room for more stuff or the addition of Molle gear if I need it or so desire.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gear test David 1 92 07-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  travel gear - based upon experience bdcochran 1 217 03-11-2018, 12:09 AM
Last Post: mac66
Video EDC Travel Gear. TN.Frank 1 226 03-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  N.B.C. gear ric0123 9 585 01-29-2018, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
  Latest EDC Gear Update. TN.Frank 2 933 04-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
  Most used gear in my 72hr/BOB/weekender Ruck justsaymo 3 1,369 10-12-2016, 02:12 AM
Last Post: David
  "Safe" gear color A3M0N 20 4,744 09-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Last Post: tc556guy