Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survival training:
Just finished Wilderness Survival Training this past weekend with this guy:

http://www.byronkernssurvival.com

I took the Safe Return course.

It was bad-Freakin-arse! Byron Kerns was amazing, This course was 3 days long and there was never a boring moment, I can't wait to go to another one.

[Image: 37494322416_f2e600afb0_k.jpg]

Two thumbs up to this course from Gene...
I've looked into him before.  As I recall I found nothing but very positive reviews.  This may be something to consider as a group...

Which course do you think you'd take next?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
That's cool, congrats. I've taken a few wilderness survival course in the boy scouts and as a adult scout leader. It was a lot of fun. I practice a lot of that stuff on my 50 acres of hunting property in northern Michigan and try to do some overnights out in the woods a couple times a year.
Always wanted to do something like that. My boys and I mostly watch survival shows on TV then go up on the mountain behind our house and try to recreate some of the things we saw. Not only fun, but it always gave me a reason to spend time with the boys.
I've looked into the couple of them here in Fl, I just liked the look on this guys face and his tude matched the way he looks= just a fun easy going dude.
Byron says he trains corporate groups from different businesses all the time, the courses teach team work and leadership along with wilderness survival.
I wanted to take the the next Wilderness First aid class but it looks like it might be the Bare Bones course. I'd eventually like to take the instructors course in Ga. Will have to really save for that one.

The boy scouts are a good group, 50 acres of hunting woods behind the house= now that's cool!

I've wanted to do something like this for a long time, finally just did it (lost two days pay and almost lost my job but it was worth it). Doing this with the kids would be very cool.

I've also been following Green Dean around for about 6 times now, every time I go I learn more about foraging/ what's to eat in the woods/neighborhood = this guy is very good also:

http://www.eattheweeds.com/classes/

Looking forward to another class in my area, then I will have all of the seasons covered.
Deans classes are only $30 per person for a 4 hour trip on a Sunday morning.
Cool!

Top three things you learned?
Gene,

I've emailed Mr. Dean in reference to either a private class in our area or when he plans to do a regular class in our area of the state.  I'll let you know what he says after he replies.  This may be something that you, Bob, Shane, Scout and whoever else in our area would like to get together and do as a group.  I know I'd be very interested in getting more education on what is/is not edible in our area.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
If you are not aware, there is a thing called Meetup

https://www.meetup.com/

It is an online group where people meetup based on interest in various topics. You can start one in your own area.

Anyway there are a number of peppers and other like minded people etc on it. I've attended a number of wilderness sessions which are usually just day long "learn to do" things in my area. I haven't done any in a year or so but you can look up in your areas and find a group.

Might be something to consider for the SEP to do to bring more people in.
Hey Bob, The parts that were really stand out for me was the action shelter training/ knots and lashing, the making a smoker/ smoking meat and maps and compass. 
We didn't get to kill the bunny as Byron said a dog did that before he left home and no one had any for sale locally where the class was held. 
Maybe Dave could throw a dressing and open fire cooking a rabbit party sometime?   

Dave, good luck with Dean- he's pretty busy. The John Chestnut County park in Palm Harbor might be your closest one, That was the first place the wife and I followed Dean, it's real nice there. The 5 or 6 dear that we spotted grazing there were bonus entertainment for the missus. 
Sign up for the Eat the Weeds news letter and you'll get regular updates on his schedule, shouldn't be long before he's teaching on this side of the state again. He comes over here to Red Bug Slough about once a month.

I have checked out the local Meetup site, both towns like to do stuff on Saturday mornings only= when I'm at work. Looks like they do some cool stuff tho. 
The Meetup site might be a good way to gain more members for this site, The Sarasota group is quite popular. I tried to join the Bradenton site but I must not have passed muster or something...

[Image: 37542504291_1d11f7dda4_k.jpg]

Hasenpfeffer:

[Image: 36872823833_9f01750309_k.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Survival and Controlling the Night bdcochran 4 486 05-25-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Free survival book series Tom Mac 2 529 12-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Bob
  29 Survival Myths Debunked David 3 1,092 07-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Last Post: David
  Survival Story: Overnighter turns into 6-day stay for missing Oakland hiker David 3 1,376 03-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Shocked Millennials lack basic survival skills David 15 6,642 03-11-2018, 01:43 PM
  Urban survival David 13 6,673 10-29-2017, 04:05 PM
  Survival In Realtime JRSC 18 9,655 07-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Information Survival vs. Sustainable Self Reliance David 2 1,678 10-09-2016, 07:20 PM
  Survival and Preparedness 2016 JRSC 4 3,203 01-06-2016, 05:16 AM
  25 Survival Myths That Could Actually Hurt You David 0 1,234 10-17-2015, 01:11 PM