Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have we talked about crossbows here?
I know the pellet rifle is all the rage at the moment....but have we discussed bow *ahem* hunting....shooting, SD or whatever?
A bow is a nice way to get food, but I'd never choose one for defense of any kind.
[Image: ef00c60b45f3194db099e2f4a0d4349f.jpg]

Well there's no doubt that it is a very viable hunting tool.  And the 'silent but deadly' aspect can't be over-emphasized.  Only limitations would be on capacity and availability of bolts.  But bolts could be made if necessary.  Is it the tool to use against charging masses of violent predators?  No.  But in certain rolls it could very well be useful in self defense.   
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I bought a cross bow to hunt with last year. Mine is SA Sports Beowulf with a scope which shoots a bolt at about 345 fps. It is pretty powerful and consistently accurate out to 40 yards or so. Mine will consistently shoot 3" groups at the distance I shot a doe broadside with it last year at about 27 yards and drove the bolt right though it.

They are kind of expensive. Mine was over $300 on sale and many run two or three times that. I did a lot (i.e, two years worth) of research before buying mine. I tried out a number of them. From what I can tell, the high price ones use high tech lighter materials and better optics to justify the cost. Most have scopes with drop compensator reticles, the more expensive the better the optic. Mine has a really cheap scope on it but it works. I thought I got the best power and accuracy for the money. I shot a number of $1,000 bows that weren't any more accurate or powerful than mine. Like anything else you pay for features and options you like.

One of the things you realize after carrying one around for a few days is they are heavy and awkward to carry. Unlike a slim and trim rifle, crossbows stick out everywhere and catch on stuff. They are a pain in the butt to carry around.

Bolts are expensive and crossbows, at least mine, seems to eat them up. Even target shooting eventually the bolts will bend or break. If you shoot anything else like the ground or a deer the bolt is ruined. The carbon fiber bolt I shot through the deer broke when it hit the ground on the other side. Aluminum bolts will bend.

The good thing about crossbows is they pretty much shoot like a rifle. When cocked they are ready to go. All you have to do is take the safety off, aim and pull the trigger unlike a bow which requires you to draw, hold and release. You can shoot a cross bow from a sitting position unlike a bow. They are obviously more powerful than a bow.

I shot a wood arrow from my crossbow there was so much lateral force that is disintegrated. Do a search for slow motion arrows in flight and see how much they bend.

And they are not all that quiet. There is a definite loud thwack or twang sound with the bolt is released. That's kind of why the more powerful (faster bolt speed) is beneficial, so the deer can't duck fast enough to avoid the bolt. I've seen them do that with regular bows.

Bottom line is that crossbows IMO have a pretty narrow use which is mostly for hunting. I've heard, read, and seen movies where they use them for taking out sentries, not sure how practical that is over a suppressed firearm. I guess if you didn't have anything else, it could be used for self defense, but just about any firearm would be better.
Those are pretty much the exact thoughts behind my previous post.
The narrow application is ambush on an established game trail.  Very narrow application.  I have a wooded rural woodlot - bear, deer, turkey.  Still, my neighbors constructed elevated deer standards for bow hunting other than with a cross bow.
I have a cross bow but I would stick to a long bow recurve self bow or compound bow with in 50 yards with all but the compound bow you can push it out to 80 +yards you don't want me shooting at you with it.
I think the overall benefit of a crossbow over a regular bow is power and accuracy. A modern crossbow is pretty easy to shoot accurately, a conventional bow (whether long, recurve or compound) takes a lot more skill. A modern crossbow is also a lot more powerful than any conventional bow. That equates to better penetration at longer ranges.
I would be more inclined to use a cross bow over a regular bow, but my reason is kinda odd.  I can pick up 225lbs in a farmer's carry and walk down the sidewalk quite a distance.  If I lean over at an odd angle to pick up a 5lb bag of groceries I sometimes get a spasm in my erector spinae which is a back muscle in the mid-back on either side of my spine.  It's the stupidest damn thing.  Only bothers me occasionally but when it does, it spasms and it's very difficult to breath because it twists a rib against my lung.  And it hurts...a LOT!

I was at a garage sale once and saw a really nice bow for sale.  Picked it up and pulled the string back and almost doubled over in pain as it felt like someone hit me in the back with a hammer.  Fortunately my wife and I took a bunch of courses in tri-release and other types of massage so she knows how to get things back right.  

I do various exercises to strengthen that part of my back but it still happens at the oddest times.  Happened just last week when I picked up a pallet the odd way.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(07-19-2017, 07:48 PM)David Wrote: I would be more inclined to use a cross bow over a regular bow, but my reason is kinda odd.  I can pick up 225lbs in a farmer's carry and walk down the sidewalk quite a distance.  If I lean over at an odd angle to pick up a 5lb bag of groceries I sometimes get a spasm in my erector spinae which is a back muscle in the mid-back on either side of my spine.  It's the stupidest damn thing.  Only bothers me occasionally but when it does, it spasms and it's very difficult to breath because it twists a rib against my lung.  And it hurts...a LOT!

I was at a garage sale once and saw a really nice bow for sale.  Picked it up and pulled the string back and almost doubled over in pain as it felt like someone hit me in the back with a hammer.  Fortunately my wife and I took a bunch of courses in tri-release and other types of massage so she knows how to get things back right.  

I do various exercises to strengthen that part of my back but it still happens at the oddest times.  Happened just last week when I picked up a pallet the odd way.

The thing about cocking a crossbow is that you have to use some sort of cocking device. A pulley usually comes with it. Some have built in winches.  I bought my dad a crossbow a year before his stroke. He was 86 and he couldn't cock it with the pulley thing, nor could my wife or daughter cock mine. I cocked it for him, set him in his blind and had him call me if he shot something. He never did but was very accurate with it out to 40 yards or so.   In fact when we sighted it in he shot an arrow into another arrow at 30 yards.