Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY glo-sticks

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I just ordered 20g of strontium aluminate on Ebay to try this DIY for camping and such.  I'll report back on how it worked.

Gonna have to try making a few of these over the winter. Any idea of how long they actually last?
I'm going to postulate that it will last up to 12 hours.  However, like any rechargeable glow-in-the-dark material it will start off bright and begin to fade over time.  I have Nitesiters on one of my pistols.  That's the little glow-in-the-dark dots you put in the sights and charge with a flashlight.  Initially the dots are (advertised) 5 times brighter than normal tritium night sights. But they do start fading right away.  They do last all night but they get dimmer and you'll only be able to see them with your vision adjusted for dim light.  I would suspect that once charged with a flashlight, these glow sticks will be clearly seen around the campsite for several hours and then reduce to a very soft glow as the night wears on.  But the nice thing is that a few seconds with a light charges them right back up and can be done over and over again.  If it's like the Nitesiters then they pretty much will be able to be recharged for life.

It will be some experimentation as to how much powder to use in a batch.  I bought glycerin yesterday at Walmart for $3.88 for a 6oz bottle.  The 20g of power off Ebay was $4.99 so I've got $9 into the project so far and I'll bet I can make a BUNCH of glow-in-the-dark stuff with that amount.  

My thoughts are to hang a couple of these glow-in-the-dark tubes from the ridge line on my hammock.  It soaks up the sunlight all day and then marks my sleeping spot during the night.  

I'm also thinking about a different application.  I have several of those LED glow stick/flashlights:

[Image: led-glowstick_1.png]

That white tube is hollow.  Thinking about mixing that powder with some sort of clear 'something' and then filling the tube and letting it dry/harden so it's permanent.  Still pondering that a bit...

David, I'm wondering if you could use clear resin as a filler. The kind you can get at craft stores to make paper weights, etc. with. If it worked it would darn near make the light indestructible. Not sure if the medium has to be liquid or not though in order for it to "recharge".
Should not have to be liquid, as it is the strontium aluminate which is the active material.
Good idea on the resin from the craft store.  Joann's is right up the street, I'll check out what they have.  Thanks  Smile

(11-16-2016, 10:44 AM)Dr. Dickie Wrote: Should not have to be liquid, as it is the strontium aluminate which is the active material.

Agreed.  That's probably what those mule pack lights use and they seem to work just fine.  I'll just have to experiment with how much powder to how much liquid/resin for a good result.

Well if the resin does in fact work, think of all the possibilities. You could make them as flat as paper and hang them in the windows of your house. They'd automatically recharge every day and would act as room lights at night. You could oil up the inside of a piece of PVC pipe, fill it with the strontium aluminate/resin, then push it out the end when dry. Line your walkway with them, hallway leading to the bathroom, or even make your own glow in the dark billy stick to beat liberals with during the riots. Smile
Well it worked but the resin I used was for plant/vase decorations and turned out to be more soft and pliable than I would have preferred.  If I can find a resin that dries hard like say a plastic block then I'd be all set for the use(s) I have in mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video DIY Reusable Glow Sticks David 0 492 11-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Last Post: David