Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your EDC pocket knife?
I am NOT going into the Apocalypse without the ability to open a bottle of wine without dignity. I've got to hold on to some shred of humanity.
Well, I suppose if it is a tactical, camouflaged corkscrew it would be acceptable.  Tongue
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
1 – Use a Screw (the longer the better), a screwdriver, and a hammer

This is probably one of the safest methods on this list, but it does require some resilience and strength, as it can fatigue you easily. You simply take a screw, preferably a long one, and screw it into the cork with a screwdriver until there is about an inch or so of the screw left showing. Then you take the backside of the hammer, lock it under the screw and pull the cork out. You may also need a towel to wipe the sweat off your forehead once the mission is complete.
2 – Push the cork in with the handle of a wooden spoon, or any blunt object similar in size

This is also a pretty safe method to use in comparison to some of the others on this list, but it does have its downsides. To open the bottle, you simple take the handle of the wooden spoon, or something similar, and push the cork down into the bottle of wine. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to remove the cork from the bottle once you push it in. Also, if the bottle of wine is old the cork may crumble and shed into the wine once pushed in. It certainly sucks when this happens, but if you are with friends and plan on drinking the whole bottle there is no need to worry. Just use a strainer and pour the bottle of wine through it into a decanter.
3 – Pump it out

This one is really simple. You take a bike pump that has a needle attached and plunge it through the cork, penetrating all the way through until the needle reaches the air between the cork and the wine. Then you pump air into the bottle. As you pump, the cork should slowly move out of the bottle from the air pressure.
I've been carrying a Rat II D2 for a couple weeks. Well-balanced and with an easily handled shape. I got it for carry in some cities I visit in the PNW where 3" is listed as the limit for lockblades. It'll supplement my VG10 & H1 Delicas.

For my CA carry needs I've come to really like my budget Steel Will Modus F25-12 Linerlock, with its medium length 3.25" D2 blade (now that I've given it a uniformly even edge and sharpened it.)

While I still slip one or another of my SAK's and a 4-blade Uncle Henry jacknife in my pockets to go along with the clipped lockblades, I tend to like the thinner handled lockblades. They're more easily pocketed than my significantly thicker Benchmade folders.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EDC pocket suspension clip David 9 5,433 08-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Last Post: David
  TRS 5N1 EDC Tactical Knife David 5 509 03-01-2019, 01:42 AM
  Knife making? ric0123 5 1,397 06-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Wolfman
  Knife selection process bdcochran 5 1,738 05-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Wolfman
  Pocket dump David 1 633 05-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  What do Spec Ops dudes carry every day? Every Day Carry (EDC) Pocket Dump David 6 1,442 05-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Cold Steel Rajah III, Small Knife with a Big Knife Feel. TN.Frank 2 770 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM
  Long Term Carbon Steel knife storage Glockzilla10mm 5 2,474 11-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
  New Knife video, Enjoy. TN.Frank 2 1,458 08-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
  My top knife picks from 2016 TN.Frank 6 2,788 04-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Anomander Rake