Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your EDC pocket knife?
David: Both of your knives are fine. The full size Endura has been around at least 25 years and would be the pick. The only decision is entirely smooth blade, partially serrated blade or fully serrated blade.

The minor criticism of the SAK arises as follows. About 40 years ago, I discussed the desirable features of an SAK. Ron Hood insisted that it have a saw blade. I insisted that it have a pair of scissors. My experience had been trimming nails and cleaning nails in the woods. At that time, the knife that had both features was the Huntsman. Today, I go less into the woods. So any SAK would do so long as it has a scissors.

People - pay attention to Kentguy. His choice of the stockman is excellent. As I get older, slipping a slipjoint folder in the pocket is sufficient. I would not want to walk around in my urban environment wearing an external knife sheath or hanging a folder off a jeans pocket. Day-to-day, I am not filleting fish, battoning a tree, cutting open a deer, or engaging in hand-to-hand combat.
One thing I didn't want was a corkscrew.  The Tinker has the Philips head screwdriver in that spot.  A saw could be handy but I have one on my Gerber Suspension MT.

I personally like full serrations.

For pocket carry, the key chain pocket clip is the best thing since sliced bread!!!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(07-17-2017, 01:26 PM)David Wrote: One thing I didn't want was a corkscrew.  The Tinker has the Philips head screwdriver in that spot.  A saw could be handy but I have one on my Gerber Suspension MT.

I personally like full serrations.

For pocket carry, the key chain pocket clip is the best thing since sliced bread!!!

When I was in Europe I carried a Victorinox Swiss Army knife. I used the corkscrew more than anything else. Cry
Dave don't like wine.'08. Wink
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I don't drink.  Well, that's not entirely true, if I have a sore throat I'll take a shot of spiced rum I bought in Grand Caymen about 7 years ago.  I've had about 3 shots out of it in all that time.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I carry a Kershaw Zing SS.

[Image: 20140084_10155585781835984_6477225460916...e=5A072F17]

[Image: 20046519_10155585782205984_3338010009619...e=59C820CC]
I only carry folders for EDC.  So, no comments on fixed blade sheaths.

1.  Small and large Benchmade bidirectional sheaths.
     Used for the quality folders.  Used when my focus is on a sheath that could be carried vertically or  horizontally on a belt, but more importantly when a sheath is needed to slip into a pocket of pants or a jacket.  I am fully aware that velcro sheaths pick up lint, dust and fail sooner than a traditional snap leather sheath.  But, I am not wearing an EDC knife in a sheath on a belt on a daily basis.  The sheath would be going into a pocket, a brief case or a hide somewhere.  I just reached down on a ledge under the computer.  Black and silver discontinued Kershaw 1840 full size folders in such sheaths.  Protected.  Some sheathed Enduras/Al Mars in a drawer on the credenza next to the front door and an assortment of unsheathed 2 and 3 blade traditional folders in the letter inbasket near the front door.

2.  Raine bidirectional sheaths.
     Used for lesser quality folders.  Come in more precise sizes than the Benchmade sheaths.  Not likely to slip this bulkier sheath into a pocket.  A more rugged sheath than the Benchmade units.

3.  cheap, usually vertical , no name brand velcro sheaths and cheap seconds on snap lock leather sheaths.
     Used to protect Victorinox knives and traditional multi blade folders.  Not likely to carry the knife in a sheath when used.  Would normally just slip the knife into a pocket.
     I explain further.  Assume that I buy used Victorinox Huntsman model pocket knives from eBay.  Further assume that I clean, lube and sheath the TSA seized knives.  I am not carrying them on a daily basis or I am giving them as gifts to relatives and friends.  I want the knives protected and I want the user to have an option of placing the knife, within a sheath, on a belt.  Or maybe hanging it somewhere with a piece of 550 cord.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Knife making? ric0123 5 133 06-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Wolfman
  Knife selection process bdcochran 5 242 05-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Wolfman
  Pocket dump David 1 83 05-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  What do Spec Ops dudes carry every day? Every Day Carry (EDC) Pocket Dump David 6 164 05-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Cold Steel Rajah III, Small Knife with a Big Knife Feel. TN.Frank 2 126 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM
Last Post: David
  Long Term Carbon Steel knife storage Glockzilla10mm 5 1,359 11-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
  New Knife video, Enjoy. TN.Frank 2 738 08-26-2017, 02:09 PM
  My top knife picks from 2016 TN.Frank 6 1,472 04-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Anomander Rake
  Knives and knife reviews (custom) ric0123 13 2,996 12-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Need a pocket knife with a glass breaker? Ganzo G702 has ya' covered. TN.Frank 0 664 10-28-2016, 11:42 PM