Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HO LEE MO LEE SWEET TATORS!!
Well you've got me jazzed to grow some taters!  Can't wait till it's time to start.

On the garlic front, I'm impressed.  I got a bulb of organic garlic and split it into the individual cloves.  Simply pressed them down into the soil a couple of inches or so, root end down. Already have shoots coming up and it's only been a bit over a week.  So that's encouraging.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I ordered some garlic, but haven't gotten it yet.
I tried to grow some onions (or scallions) from seeds, but it was a bust.
My FIL gave me an onion he had from the store that started to root, and it produces 4 medium sized onions. And just this weekend, I took out one of my Vidalia onions, and noticed that it had started to root. I don't know whether I will bother trying to grow a Vidalia or not. I do want to get some onions in this spring.
Vidalia onions would be awesome to be able to grow. There is an Arabic dish called called foul (pronounced 'fool') that is mashed fava beans, crushed garlic, lemon, jalapeno peppers and olive oil that you eat with Vidalia onions. Simply awesome!

Yeah, that does sound good.
Got the garlic in last night. I got some planting to do today.
(10-28-2016, 01:14 PM)David Wrote: This is the time of year to plant garlic so I'm going to find some good organic and get it in the ground.  Wanted to do that last year and missed the time.

The garlic is doing well.  IIRC, it takes about 8 months to harvest so that will be around June.  Looking for the tops to turn brown but not black.

David, it you plant those sweet potatoes, be prepared. I had about 2 dozen sweet potatoes growing in my backyard this spring, and I DIDN'T PLANT ANY!!. Those crazy vines planted taters all over the place.
I am trying to grow some blue potatoes this year. I am going to grow one or two of the sweet potatoes, but those vines are a handful. Still I can't imagine a better survival food, they replant themselves and boy do you get a yield!
Yeah, my wife was telling me that this is her experience with sweet potatoes as well.  Well, seems like this is the time to plant... Smile

Put two sweet potatoes in water today.  We'll see how long it takes to get slips from.