Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HO LEE MO LEE SWEET TATORS!!
I decided to try some sweet potatoes this year in the garden. And some Seminole pumpkins.
First Seminole pumpkins. I highly recommend them. Easy to grow, and Seminole pumpkin bread is delicious (been eating it for about a month now).  They are pumpkins though, so a lot of vines with big leaves going everywhere (wife did not like it, but likes the bread Big Grin ).

Now to sweet potatoes.
I got mine from the tatorman, but I got 36 plants of a couple of different varieties.
I did NOT know that sweet potatoes (not real potatoes of course) grow on VINES.  Oh my, I had vines EVERYWHERE (and I only planted about half the plants I got).
I decided to dig some up today.
HO LEE MO LEE!!!! I have a metric TON of freaking sweet potatoes.   Just the one I grew in ONE pot (I had three pots and a row of the garden) must have yielded 10 pounds of potatoes!!
I just gave a bunch to my neighbor, and have only harvested two of my 6 locations. I have more sweet potatoes than I can eat in a week or two.
I am now going to search out canning sweet potatoes! Wink
Is it too late to plant this year?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
All year long I have been saying that I was not going to grow sweet potatoes again (because of the vines--they were everywhere), but after seeing the yield. I changed my mind. If I can can them successfully, I will be living off sweet potatoes (which is part of the plan).
How big of a pot did you use?  Can you still plant them now?

Found this interesting video series.

(10-27-2016, 01:45 PM)David Wrote: How big of a pot did you use?  Can you still plant them now?

I got some big pot at Home Depot and put them in the back yard. I removed the grass and sort of planted the pots a couple of inches below the grass--after leveling them.
The pots were the biggest they had, maybe 2.5 feet tall, and 2 feet diameter or so.
I sure it is too late to plant, as the plant will die during the winter.
I got everything to can them, but I won't have time this weekend, I hope next weekend to give it a try.
That's what I've come to understand, that they need several months of hot weather.  But you've motivated me to add this to my list of garden items.  The guy in the video started 'sprouting' in February so I'll target that and maybe even sooner as we get warmer weather sooner.

This is the time of year to plant garlic so I'm going to find some good organic and get it in the ground.  Wanted to do that last year and missed the time.

Garlic, good to know. I will try to find some as well. Thanks.
Let me know how yours progresses and I'll do the same.

I just canned some sweet potatoes (first try at canning anything). Canned 3 quart Mason jars. That consumed about 5 average sweet potatoes. I have only dug up about 2/3 of what I have, cooked about 6 or so (gave some to the neighbor), and I still have a bag with 4 or 5 BIG ones.
I will try this canned stuff on Thanksgiving, if it tastes good, then I will go ahead and can the rest.
The canning was quite easy, except for the prep work. I learned a few things:
i) I have to sharpen one of my BIG knives to cut these things, as then are too big for to use a standard steak knife
ii) Why are they too long for a standard steak knife? Because the darn things are like cutting wood into cubes! You can't just slice through them, you have to split then like a log!!
After prepping them, everything else was a breeze.