Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most used gear in my 72hr/BOB/weekender Ruck
As I transition my Winter gear into my "Go-Bag" I review/reconsider the gear I've carried through the previous season. I don't have a separate BOB or Backpacking/hiking set ups.  Some gear may be added or subtracted depending on the trip but the core of the gear is the same.  This is what I used most last season.

Every Trip or almost every trip:

Kelty Redwing Pack.  Two nights was the longest out without resupply so this pack worked great.
Water Bottles. I'm using two - Four of the 20 ounce Power Aid bottles. Water was typically available (Creeks). The smaller (vs. 32 ounce version) carries better in the side mesh pockets and extras stow easy in the main compartment. They are easier to fill in the field than a Camelbak though I prefer the Camelbak for day hikes.
Sawyer Water Filter. I like the "Squeeze" better than the "Mini" even though it is a little bigger and heavier. Both are lighter and small than other filters I own.  Simple and it works.
Folding Saw: Many of my trips were scouting for game and setting up cameras.  The saw was used mostly for clearing sight lines but also came in handy for clearing trails of windfall, shelter and fire building.
Princeton Vizz headlamp. I probably did more night hiking than I've ever done this year.  This is the best headlamp I've owned.  The first two hours on new batteries it is actually bright enough to ride my mountain bike on trail, beyond that it is still very useful for hiking and chores for at least two more hours on the high setting.  I like how you don't need to cycle through a bunch or brightness options to turn it off and the one click will bring on a red (save your night vision) light, two quick clicks is bright and click and hold allows for dimming (nice for reading). I've had it for three years now and it's proven durable and able to handle rain.  Comfortable to wear even with a hat on, the range of angle adjustment is good and the indents hold even when bouncing down a bumpy trail on a bike.
Fleece Jacket purchased at Midway USA. It is a little bulky but worked well for as inexpensive as it was.  I think the sizes run a little big but I don't mind it being a little loose should I ever need to have more layers underneath.  Drys quickly. Very nice in the evenings and mornings.
First Aid Kit: Tweezers, fingernail clippers, Ibuprofen, Iodine, antibiotic cream and bandaids the most.
Stanley Pot and cup. I really like the cup, it keeps the drinks warm and doesn't burn the lips.  The pot I like most of the time. It does require more setup to use over a fire. Works great on my stoves.
Type IV parachord. I like it better than the slightly thinner 550 cord. Mostly used for tarp set ups but also lashing gear on my pack.
Sharpie. Taking notes, labeling...
Atlas nitral work gloves. Good protection, durable without sacrificing much dexterity.
Carhart stocking cap.
Bandanas.
Bic Lighter.
Large Surplus Spoon. Besides the obvious use it works well as a trowel.

Regular Use over the Summer season:

Marmot Rain Jacket: Roomy without being cumbersome. Actually waterproof! Roomy hood with adjustability to accommodate hats. Can where it like a cape over my pack keeping it and me mostly dry without overheating.
Cabelas Outfitter Tent: I've had this for about ten years and is still doing the job.  It gets the call more often than the tarp and Hammock though I am liking that option more and more as it doesn't require flat ground.
Therma-Rest: I'm still using one I bought in 1994. I did buy a more modern one that is smaller, lighter but the old one is more  comfortable.
Wiggys Overbag: Compacts well, warm enough for most of Spring and well into the fall. Roomy.

Glad to have but infrequently used:

Compass and Maps. Used to mark a boundry and route finding in unfamiliar areas. No batteries needed. Lighter weight than the GPS and it's extra batteries. I must admit that my Smartphone GPS and maps are impressive. I just don't trust it to always work.
Warm Gloves.

These were the most used items that reside in my pack It does not include food or my EDC items like my knife or clothing.
(10-09-2016, 09:01 PM)justsaymo Wrote: Sawyer Water Filter. I like the "Squeeze" better than the "Mini" even though it is a little bigger and heavier. Both are lighter and small than other filters I own.  Simple and it works.

I'm the opposite, though I like them both.  What's your preference based on?  I guess I like the mini because of it's small size so that I can carry one in my EDC sling bag.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Faster flow, more than twice as fast. Also flow is good longer without cleaning.
Gotcha, I see where the squeeze is rated for a million gallons as opposed to 100,000 from the mini as well.  I have both.  The squeeze is in my dayhike pack and the mini's are in the EDC's. Either way it's nice to have them available should they be needed.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gear test David 1 90 07-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  travel gear - based upon experience bdcochran 1 217 03-11-2018, 12:09 AM
Last Post: mac66
Video EDC Travel Gear. TN.Frank 1 226 03-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  N.B.C. gear ric0123 9 583 01-29-2018, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
  Latest EDC Gear Update. TN.Frank 2 933 04-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank