Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berkey
I've got the Travel Berkey.  Good for 6000 gallons which is about 5 years of use for me and the family.  I used it for about 6+ months just to see how I liked it and how well it worked.  Turns out I liked it quite a bit and it would be hard for it to be much easier to get clean water.

Anyone else use a Berkey?  Which one and how do you like it?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
We have the Big Berkey, 2.25 gal. We've been using it every since we bought it 2 years ago= it makes faucet water taste so much better. We don't even use the filtered water from the fridge any more. We need to buy spare filters for it tho, they cost $110 bucks for the set!

Yes, we like it very much.

Been feeling real funky about the tap water since the chemical/ waste leak in Mulberry, we live kinda down hill from that stupid event. I'm hoping our Berkey is working or we all may be getting some kinda cool new cancer/ sickness in the future. Real cool how there was not a word of this until two weeks after the event...
I need to take some pic's of my set up sometime and show you guys.

We have an old double wide trailer set up about 100 feet from our house stocked with food, wood cook stove, sinks, etc. that we've turned into a sort of SHTF kitchen/medical building. On the wall I have mounted a Sigma hand water pump that goes directly to our well. The water is pumped into a 55 gallon plastic drum that I mounted on top of a 4 foot high bench. I plumbed an outlet into the barrel about 1 inch from the bottom which goes directly into a berkey filter set up for drinking. Another outlet plumbed in beside it goes to a kitchen sink and another to a large stainless steel scullary sink which will be used for clothes washing.
Sounds good, I'd like to see some pics when you get the chance.  Nice set up.

Don't have one - but no question it is the way to go!
I hear Berkeys are nice but I don't have one. They have been on my list to purchase. I like the gravity filter style better than the pump version. One less thing to go wrong.
I recommend them.  Look around for the best price on the size you want/need and grab it.  We have RO in-line so that is what we normally use and keep the Berkey as a back up.  Also have the gravity fed Sawyer as back up as well just to be very redundant in this area of our preps.

Can anyone give me an estimate on how fast/slow the Berkey filters are? I know they take time to work, i just have no idea of what that is.

I'm going to help a friend set up a system. She's got city water, but her building is 120 years old and there's all sorts of sheet in the pipes. I was thinking of doing a multi stage setup, running through sand and charcoal before hitting the Berkey black filter elements. Any thoughts on that? She's using it 50 gallons a week for her and her family. I was going to have them run into 35 gallon barrels instead of the 5 gallon buckets.
http://www.berkeywaterfilterseurope.com/...ter-system

per hour

Berkey Light ~16 liters ~32 liters
Big Berkey ~13.2 liters ~26.5 liters
Royal Berkey ~15.1 liters ~30.2 liters
Imperial Berkey ~20.8 liters ~62.5 liters
Crown Berkey ~24.6 liters ~98.4 liters