Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepping For Gas Shortages
My vehicles are topped off and I'll be filling up some gas cans again tomorrow to be safe.

What are y'all doing?
I always keep and fill up the cars when 1/2 full, so always some gas there.
Other than that, I rotate about 40 gallons now ... a couple jerry cans and a boat gas caddy on wheels.

Use to have a bit less, but after last storm (Sandy) I use about half and fiq more couldn't hurt.

PS ; don't forget the Stabil for the gas
How long to ya'll let your stored gas sit before rotating?  

I've picked up various sized gas cans at garage sales for a quarter here, fifty cents there.  Have 19 gallons total at the moment.  Try to follow the 1/2 mark on the gauge is the new empty mantra.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
How long to ya'll let your stored gas sit before rotating?  

No more than 1 year with Stabil used in proper amounts for the tanks involved. 40 gal total.

Tho I do use about a 1/3 off the bat during the year from mowing, snowblower, other yard equipment... I put a tag on the handle of the oldest fuel and use that first.
The newest gas being rotated goes in the car...lawn mower isn't so picky but never had any problems with 1 yr old gas yet.
I keep about 30 gallons of gas at my hunting property that's been there a couple years or more. Mostly used for the tractor, ATVs, small motorcycles and chain saw. If I'm not going to be there for a long time I'll add PRI-G or Stabil, otherwise I just try to mix it with fresh gas. If it's been there a real long time I will sometime empty the can in my truck and refill it when I get into town.
Whenever there is a fuel "crisis" we us my f250.We store a ton of diesel,we have gas but diesel lasts longer and is safer to store long term.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
I wish for a diesel... just for the safety reason and longer storage over gas.

Plus my next choice is a diesel gennie down the road... as I also use oil for heat and it'd be great to run all from same source.
( being that most of the time the large oil tank is fairly well filled )

So the question is , how long will ethanol-gas last with the proper stabilizer ?? They don't sell pure gas here on Long Island. ( pure gas will last longer )
There's so many benefits to diesel. It costs more, but honestly it really works out better than gas. I've thought of starting a thread about the pros and cons of the 2. For prepping and survival purposes, my belief is that diesel is far superior.
I keep the tanks full and 40gal. in storage, its the best i can do for now.
We have 2 diesel 18kw gennies,it's the reason we store it.Kero will work also so will bio-diesel.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What have you done this week to forward your 2019 prepping goals? David 25 3,490 08-29-2019, 01:06 PM
Last Post: David
Thumbs Up What have you done this week to forward your 2018 prepping goals? David 59 16,156 12-06-2018, 02:44 PM
  Alcohol & Prepping Scout 16 2,667 09-29-2018, 01:01 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Thrift Stores, Antique Stores, and prepping Chico Bill 6 3,038 02-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  What have you done this week to forward your 2017 prepping goals? David 88 26,801 12-31-2017, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
Video Ten prepping lessons that L.E. Has taught me video David 2 1,563 11-14-2017, 06:05 AM
Last Post: Gene
Question What have you done this week to forward your 2016 prepping goals? David 74 33,709 11-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Question What have you done this week to forward your 2015 prepping goals? David 61 33,712 01-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Dr. Dickie
  What Have You Learned From Prepping? JRSC 19 10,607 11-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Last Post: kirgi08