Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rain Water Collection Thread
No, some of those mixtures are kinda weird and don't do well in long term scenarios. '08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I learned that some of these barrels don't last all that long.  Had a whole side near the bottom of one of mine just blow out.  Renders the whole barrel pretty useless now.  Not sure of a solution.  They are not in direct sunlight during the hottest parts of the day though they do get some direct sunlight as the sun is coming up or going down.  I'll have to put some thought into this to see if there is a way to preserve them better.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Are they "food" grade.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Funny you mention this...was just in Bermuda and the wife asked me where do they get the fresh water?
Told her to look closely at the roofs... tiled into channels to collect all the rain water to a large cistern that feeds the home.

Anyway... I have a rain collection setup for my Mom now. A VERY basic system for watering her garden.
It's a 55 gallon blue drum hooked into the gutter system of the house. Drum is on a 2 ft platform made from old skids... no chems added and just a metal screen of hardware cloth covered by a fine mesh of an old pool skimmer for input.
She just cleans off the crap once a week.
I added a spigot at the bottom for a hose and there is an pvc overflow port a few inches from top.  In colder weather I just stick the regular gutter downspout back on so water moves away from house.
It's been working fine for a while now. Solved the problem of no water on the far side of house, and at 87, she doesn't have to pull the hose around.

but do any of you put any pool chemicals in your rainwater barrels (for long term storage) to keep water clean?
No chems , I would think it should be at least filtered first before that step ans I do see a lot of particles in the water at times.

( but I do store 2 lbs of calcium hypochlorite ( sp?) ( pure ) I obtained from a friend that treats the local water district for if I ever have to.)
I've brought the discussion up of pool chemicals before. No replies. IMO, for longevity, it's not a bad idea. Heck, if you have a pool you already have a great resource at your disposal.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
(06-10-2016, 03:00 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: Are they "food" grade.'08.

Yeah, that's why I'm surprised that the side just literally blew out.  Like a jagged foot in diameter.  Like someone kicked it out from the inside.

Go figure  Confused

(06-10-2016, 03:35 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: Funny you mention this...was just in Bermuda and the wife asked me where do they get the fresh water?
Told her to look closely at the roofs... tiled into channels to collect all the rain water to a large cistern that feeds the home.

Anyway... I have a rain collection setup for my Mom now. A VERY basic system for watering her garden.
It's a 55 gallon blue drum hooked into the gutter system of the house. Drum is on a 2 ft platform made from old skids... no chems added and just a metal screen of hardware cloth covered by a fine mesh of an old pool skimmer for input.
She just cleans off the crap once a week.
I added a spigot at the bottom for a hose and there is an pvc overflow port a few inches from top.  In colder weather I just stick the regular gutter downspout back on so water moves away from house.
It's been working fine for a while now. Solved the problem of no water on the far side of house, and at 87, she doesn't have to pull the hose around.

but do any of you put any pool chemicals in your rainwater barrels (for long term storage) to keep water clean?
No chems , I would think it should be at least filtered first before that step ans I do see a lot of particles in the water at times.

( but I do store 2 lbs of calcium hypochlorite ( sp?) ( pure ) I obtained from a friend that treats the local water district for if I ever have to.)

I will occasionally add a cup of regular bleach to a full 55 gallon barrel.  I don't know if that's enough but pretty sure it isn't too much.  This is mainly to keep down the funk on the inside of the barrel and I will also occasionally pressure clean the inside (not a full powered spray but gets the funk out).  I'd still filter it through the Saywer and probably also the Berkey just to make sure it was safe if in an emergency situation.    For the garden it goes on as-is.

(06-10-2016, 04:57 PM)JRSC Wrote: I've brought the discussion up of pool chemicals before. No replies. IMO, for longevity, it's not a bad idea. Heck, if you have a pool you already have a great resource at your disposal.

I had thought about it after reading re chems...but found many pool supply chems run in the area of 30-40% of the good chems.  My problem is what is the other 60% ?
The best I've seen run about 60% calcium hypoclorite ( which I'd buy if nothing else to store away  )

I have a friend and was lucky to score lab quality calcium hypochlorite that runs just at 70% with 30% inert... so I packed away it in 8 - 1/4 lb vacuum packs.  Shelf life is longer than me and takes very little for every 55 gallons of water... It's works as well as bleach ( mostly the same ) but has a much better shelf life as bleach degrades after 4-6 months... your making your own 'bleach' from powder.

How to Disinfect Water Using Calcium Hypochlorite
Quote:Using granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water is a two step process.
  • To make a stock of chlorine solution (do not drink this!) dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon (about one-quarter of an ounce) of high-test (78%) granular calcium hypochlorite for each two gallons (eight liters) of water.
  • To disinfect water add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated.
  • Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking.
I guess it's all what you want the water for. Of course, I guess making the water fully potable is the way to go so you have nothing to worry about. Safe to drink, bathe, use for toilets.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
I use a rain barrel to help water a small herb garden (main garden is too far away/up hill). Rain water can be used to drink but I would filter and disinfect as mentioned earlier. I have to be careful because where I"m at these things can freeze solid. I have a double tap on it, one up high and one low. I drain almost completely in the winter to avoid freeze issues. However, don't fully drain because then your rain barrel will get tossed around in the wind. You can always disconnect or anchor it if you choose. I look for max benefit with minimum work....which equals leaving it 10% full over the winter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Water Well pump kit for sale. Awesome! ric0123 1 278 07-28-2018, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
Question So how much water DO you need? David 11 2,969 02-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Bulk Water storage part 42387514 ric0123 17 3,458 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Water distillation David 9 3,383 09-23-2017, 12:57 AM
Last Post: David
Question Survival water bottle poll David 19 5,223 07-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Last Post: bmyers