Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rain Water Collection Thread
Over the months I've become interested in collecting rainwater. So, thought I'd start a thread on it. 

Post your thoughts, ideas, websites and experience with collecting rain water here.

http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/03/1...on-system/
Big area of interest for me.  I credit Cody Lundin's book, "When All Hell Breaks Loose" for getting me interested. 

Basically I looked at Craigslist in my area.  Had a guy 15 minutes away that sold them already set up and ready to go (drilled, faucet installed, drain etc).  I have five of them plus one my aunt gave me when they moved out of state.  Each is 55 gallons.  I connected them in series with, IIRC one-inch rubber hose and the lead one is under the downspout of one of my gutters.  One decent rain storm and I can have all of them filled to capacity.

Cody has a formula in his book, don't recall exactly what it is off-hand.  But he has a 700sq foot roof that catches 12 inches of rain per year and he gets over 5K gallons of water a year.  We get 12 inches of rain in a week sometimes so water usually isn't an issue.

I figure catch the rain water and then run it through either the Berkey filter or the Sawyer filter and we're good to go.  Some states don't allow rain barrels from what I've seen but Florida isn't one of them.

I highly recommend rain barrels if you can do it.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
What all do you use your rainwater for?
(07-14-2015, 01:46 AM)JRSC Wrote: What all do you use your rainwater for?

There are ton of variables here:

What is yer roofs material,how extensive is yer ability to filter it/how much storage/container space do you have.Remember a 50ga drum of h2o is quite heavy.A lot of folk set up a system and think the water is gtg,lets see here.Birds drop cargo on them and certain roofing products  can produce chemicals that'll make you sick or kill you.When most roofing supply cos produce a product they are going for cheap and hope you don't buy a warranty ect.

You'll find this curious,some states Colorado being one have banned rainwater collection.It's ILLEGAL there.

In areas that water is abundant most use rw as non-potable water/dishes/laundry ect.Watering plants only after filtering,either solar distilation or berkey/katadyn filters,look them up I'll be here all night if I explain it.There are water purification tablets and iodine is available.

[B]This is an area when you must research yer ao and look a water tables and rainfall amounts a make yer own plans.We don't live where you do/I'm not asking.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I keep some drums around for when/if the power goes out for any extended period of time for baths mostly. I'll boil it if it comes to the point needing to cook with it or drink it.

When major storms come it's good to keep a couple milk jugs of water and also fill up the bath tub so you have that water on hand too.
(07-14-2015, 06:51 AM)kirgi08 Wrote:

Birds drop cargo on them and certain roofing products  can produce chemicals that'll make you sick or kill you.

That's one of the reasons I bought a Berkey filter.  They're rated to remove chemicals and such.  Another concern was harvesting water from local ponds and having pesticide run off in them.  That's where the Berkey is suppose to shine from what I've read.

So far only 250 gallons hooked to the rain spout.

We use ours mainly for watering the garden. Our run off is from a tin roof, not many chemicals there and most bird poop cooks on most days here. We have filters if we need a drink.
I've been told that if the water is going to stand for a while to put a cup of bleach in the 55 gal drums every so often.  And every so often I'll pressure clean the insides to get out the funk.

Pre clean bbls,and add a filter setup on the intake part.Seal them,we use bleach in relation to the bbl size.Keep air out until use,it may taste "stale" ta start.Play martini maker,pour the water between 2 cups/repeatedly.That will put o2 back into it and change the taste of it.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Just a thought, but do any of you put any pool chemicals in your rainwater barrels (for long term storage) to keep water clean?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Water Well pump kit for sale. Awesome! ric0123 1 111 07-28-2018, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
Question So how much water DO you need? David 11 2,787 02-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Bulk Water storage part 42387514 ric0123 17 3,283 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Water distillation David 9 3,241 09-23-2017, 12:57 AM
Last Post: David
Question Survival water bottle poll David 19 4,953 07-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Last Post: bmyers