Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The lantern thread
I'm talking with Tom in another thread about his UST 30-day lantern.  It occurred to me that a thread about lanterns might be interesting.  See what others are using and why.  Fuel, battery, rechargeable or solar...whatcha got?

All start off with one of mine.  12 LED All-Purpose Solar Lantern

Listed on HFT for $21.99, I don't recall paying that much.  And of course you've always got their 20% off coupon.  So far this is working well.  Took it on one (or more) of our SEP gatherings so it's been used under field conditions.  Now it isn't a powerhouse of brightness but would be useful during a power outage around the house.  It is adjustable and says you can get 8 hours on a full charge.  It seems to hold it's charge very well.  I took it out last night (along with some of my other lanterns) during the storm (hurricane Hermine) just in case the power went out.  I tested it out and it came on fine, which isn't bad since I haven't used it since our last SEP gathering which was maybe 4-5 months ago, maybe longer.  I just put it in the window to charge back up.  Has 4.5 stars out of 5 on the website.  

So far not a bad little lantern.  I'd recommend it if it goes on sale and/or you've got the 20% coupon.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
UST 30-Day Lantern ; Other thread; http://sepboard.us/showthread.php?tid=295

I ran it for 25 days till the grandkids got it and played with it....
On low, it is more like a good candle. But that's is plenty to see with in a dark room/area
Runs on 3 D cells. ( specs below )

Jet has the UST 30-Day Lantern for about $27 right now and if your first order , possible 15% off too

The 30-day lantern emits a super bright 300 lumens on its high setting and will last a continuous 30 days on low at 29 lumens. The rugged design and rubberized housing of the lantern enhances the water and impact resistance making it extremely durable. Offer four modes including high, medium, low and SOS flashing for emergency situations. The globe is removable to convert this lantern into an area light. A recessed hook is at the lanterns base to offer hands-free lighting whenever you need it.

Lasts an amazing 30 days on low setting at a bright 29 lumens, runs 32 hours on high setting at amazing 300 lumens
4-Mode electronic switch, high, medium, low and SOS flashing
Removable globe and recessed hook at lanterns base converts lantern into down light in seconds
Rubberized housing supplies a non-slip base and enhances impact resistance. It also glows-in-the-dark so you can find your lantern faster when the lights go out.
Three ultra bright white LED's are unbreakable and never need replacing

As a second, I have two coleman type lanterns that use the 1 lb(?) propane tanks ( and keep a bunch of silk bags too just in case )

As a third, there's 20 gallons of kerosene in the shed with some old wick glass lanterns, but that would be pushing it for me.
I'm going to get a Coleman Dual Fuel lantern.

I carry this little guy with me, http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-...rPage%3D18

Actually burns slow and I've been as pleased with it as any large lantern.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
I've seen Dave Canterbury use that type of candle-lantern.  Tea candles do last a good bit and it's a pretty simple option and the light it gives seems to be sufficient.  

I've looked into DIY options on this but haven't been totally satisfied in what I've come up with...so far  Tongue

(09-04-2016, 12:40 PM)David Wrote: I've seen Dave Canterbury use that type of candle-lantern.  Tea candles do last a good bit and it's a pretty simple option and the light it gives seems to be sufficient.  

I've looked into DIY options on this but haven't been totally satisfied in what I've come up with...so far  Tongue

Dave is specifically why I have one. The candles are fairly common and easy to get as well as not hard to make. They make an oil insert, not sure why Amazon doesn't have them anymore, but the UCO site has them. 

http://ucogear.com/oil-insert.html

I'm interested in that solar lantern. I'm waiting for the price to go down on the Coleman lantern.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Bought a couple of small, solar powered lanterns at a local 'Chinese Flea Market' shop.  $6 each and the size of a can of soup.  The kind you pull up and the light comes on.  Also came with a cord charger.  So far works well and I'm using one of them to light up my quail at night since they need 16 hours a of light a day to lay properly.  Not bad brightness for such a small package.  I'll be trying them out in the field at the upcoming SEP gathering next weekend.

(10-28-2016, 01:48 PM)David Wrote: Bought a couple of small, solar powered lanterns at a local 'Chinese Flea Market' shop.  $6 each and the size of a can of soup.  The kind you pull up and the light comes on.  Also came with a cord charger.  So far works well and I'm using one of them to light up my quail at night since they need 16 hours a of light a day to lay properly.  Not bad brightness for such a small package.  I'll be trying them out in the field at the upcoming SEP gathering next weekend.

Update:

I took these to the SEP gathering last weekend.  Everyone liked them including one of the park Rangers that stopped by with firewood.  For the size, they're very bright.  Best of all, they lasted for about 7 hours till we went to bed and were still going when I shut them down.  Didn't detect any drop in brightness.  I have no idea yet how long the continual run time would be but impressed with what I've seen so far.

This is an example of what I bought from that Chinese flea market.  This is not the vendor I bought from but just an example of what they look like:

Super Bright Rechageable 5LED Solar Powered Lantern

If I see them again for $6 all definitely pick some more up.

I have the UST and also both of the Streamlight Sieges (the large that takes D cells and the small that takes AAs). The Streamlight seems to be of slightly higher quality but both are great. Must-have preps.
(04-25-2017, 06:02 PM)Cowboy1964 Wrote: I have the UST and also both of the Streamlight Sieges (the large that takes D cells and the small that takes AAs).  The Streamlight seems to be of slightly higher quality but both are great.  Must-have preps.

The UST that you and Tom have are $27 over on Ebay right now:

UST - Ultimate Survival Technologies 30-Day Classic LED Lantern 4 Modes

I see UCO has a new lantern:

UCO Leschi 110 Lumen Compact LED Lantern and Flashlight with Dimmer and Strobe

Not impressed with only a 4-hour run time though on low.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UST 30-Day Lantern Tom Mac 7 3,218 09-03-2016, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Tom Mac