Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scenarios
We have some new members that weren't around for many of our early threads. I figured I'd throw out a couple scenarios to get people thinking. Just list what you'd use in the scenario. Only rule is that you have to actually own the gun. Post pics if you can.

Looters
Your town is experiencing flooding like New Orleans. Your neighborhood looks like it will be spared from most of the high water, but the usual asshats are looting in nearby areas. What gun do you keep handy just in case they come down your street?

Evacuation
The same flooding, but on a massive scale. Your entire state is getting hit by terrible storms. The government isn't even rolling out yet to get anything organized. You have to get your family to safety, but there are at least 100 miles of destruction between you and unaffected areas. Looters are just the tip of the iceberg. Regular folks are fighting at grocery stores and gas stations as pumps and shelves run dry. Gangs are taking advantage to carjack families who've loaded their belongings into their vehicles. What gun do you bring on the evacuation? Is it different than your first answer?

My choice for protecting from looters is my Lone Wolf G9. It's short, light, easy to shoot, high capacity, and quiet. I like the high capacity if they come en masse. The fact that it uses Glock magazines makes carrying extra ammo very easy. The suppressor is nice so I wouldn't need to keep ear protection handy at all times.

The vehicle makes things a little more difficult. A long gun inside a car is very unwieldy. I'd love to have my G9 here, but accept that it's not ideal. My Glock 17 would be on the console next to me. A pistol immediately at hand is the best choice in tight confines. The ability to use it one handed is paramount. If need be, it's effective out to reasonable distance, but vehicle security is usually close range. Putting the suppressor on it is a no-go for the aforementioned reasons. It's just too long and unwieldy in the vehicle. Of course, a long gun can come along for when we stop.
[Image: 20160331_205238.jpg]
[Image: 20150120_210357.jpg]
(09-01-2016, 02:35 AM)Ronin.45 Wrote: We have some new members that weren't around for many of our early threads. I figured I'd throw out a couple scenarios to get people thinking. Just list what you'd use in the scenario. Only rule is that you have to actually own the gun. Post pics if you can.

Looters
Your town is experiencing flooding like New Orleans. Your neighborhood looks like it will be spared from most of the high water, but the usual asshats are looting in nearby areas. What gun do you keep handy just in case they come down your street?

Evacuation
The same flooding, but on a massive scale. Your entire state is getting hit by terrible storms. The government isn't even rolling out yet to get anything organized. You have to get your family to safety, but there are at least 100 miles of destruction between you and unaffected areas. Looters are just the tip of the iceberg. Regular folks are fighting at grocery stores and gas stations as pumps and shelves run dry. Gangs are taking advantage to carjack families who've loaded their belongings into their vehicles. What gun do you bring on the evacuation? Is it different than your first answer?
Looters:

This is a tough one...

-On one hand I would use my Bushmaster M4 Carbine. Very accurate, powerful, able to reach out with force, but not quiet.
Pros: accurate, powerful, distance
Cons: Loud (give position away)
-On the other hand, my S&W M&P 15-22 is very quiet, can hit man size targets out past 100 yards, and I have lots of ammo!
Pros: Very quiet (no one would ever know where the shots are coming from)
Cons: Lack of power

Key here is that in general looters aren't going to be wearing armor so just about any caliber round hitting them is going to have instant results... Some of the looters will be armed but will have zero training and if are fired upon will scatter while firing a round or two blindly. Especially if they cant determine where the shots came from!

Evacuation:

M4 would be in the vehicle if we needed to get out but my Sig Sauer 1911 would be riding next to me...

Nice gear Jayclimber.

I figure that looters in a neighborhood will be able to tell where shots are coming from and learn to avoid those areas. Giving away my position is not of much concern. The 223/5.56 is always a good choice. As is 45ACP.
Little harder to answer where I live as I'm prob stuck in place...

Evacuation;
Glock 20 with many mags ( different loads in some mags, they are already marked as to whats in them, orange color base plate for hardcast ) Wear it in a Kenai chest holster so it's in reachable area in car...
For a bug-in with looters in the area:
  • There will be a concern with fire.  I'd have all of the fire extinguishers in a central location in the center of the house and ready to go.  Additionally, any bucket or large container would be filled with water to douse any fire (Molotov cocktail and such).  
  • Use my vehicles as barriers;  one across the front entrance and one across the garage door.  They can be circumvented but will slow progress.  The vehicles can be replaced but I want to limit entry options.
  • I've not tried it, but I think I can wedge a couch from my front door to the opening of a room to the side.  It's a solid, metal door so that would limit access from that point.
  • Use whatever I have on hand to create 'internal bunkers' to use as firing points/protection from randomly thrown objects and gun fire.  
  • FAK supplies would be out and ready in the same location as the fire extinguishers.
  • Curtains drawn and very little light to attract attention or give away position.
  • All magazines loaded.
  • Every member of the family would have at least one sidearm and long gun.
Figure my wife would have my G19 and my son the G17, both with extra magazines.  Each would have the HP 995TS with extra magazines.  Each would also have, or have immediate access to the PT111 G2's.  I'd carry the G23 and HP 4095TS, again with extra magazines.  I'd also have my Mossberg 500.  Right now I have the bird's head grip on it but I'd put the regular stock back on it so that I could attach the ammo pouch.  That along with the side saddle and the SG ammo belt (25 rounds) would give me plenty of ammo for this platform.  

A bunch of shouting idiots walking down the street isn't a concern.  A bunch of shouting idiots going onto people's property and trying to break in and/or start fires is a concern.  I would take that as deadly force on their part and respond accordingly.  I would expect some to be armed, but like mentioned above, they're likely to be poorly trained and going 'gangsta style'. I would 'think' that when the 12 gauge starts barking and bodies start falling that they'd beat feet in a disorderly fashion in every direction.  I think at this point in the program the louder the better.  In other words, they need to have a very personal experience that this isn't a police line standing around doing nothing and allowing them to run rampage for the camera but rather they picked the wrong neighborhood because their is gun fire coming from every window and it's in THEIR direction.  

I don't relish the thought of firing on or at anyone.  But let's look at what happens when you don't.  It's a mob-mentality with no rational thought.  Anyone coming onto your property isn't delivering a pizza.  They are there to cause harm.  That's why I say it should be considered as deadly force against you.  Anyone trying to start a fire or throw a Molotov cocktail has elevated their status from idiot to imminent threat.  Same with trying to gain access to your home.  They are an imminent threat and well, it needs to be dealt with swiftly because the point of calm, rational conversation has long passed.  So they will have taken away all of my non-force options and forced me to use force on them to defend my family.

For bug-out it would probably be the same thing.  Long guns would be in the vehicle but the sidearms would be on our person and/or right on the seat or console with us.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I am thinking that looters are more likely to target business districts than neighborhoods. It is only after people abandon their homes that the scavengers show up and start stealing stuff.

Having said that, my neighborhood protection gun is an AR15. I've mentioned before that I thought a well armed and well equipped individual who looks like they know what they are doing is probably the best deterrent. Of course a well armed and equipped team of people is better. Then of course you need to implement some basic security principles (rings of security, 4 D's etc, etc) and you're all set.

For bug out, an AR pistol is my truck gun. It is basically a pseudo SBR that I can carry on my concealed pistol license. (Not to mention carrying a handgun all the time anyway)