Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long will my freeze dried food last
Not a question about storage.  I have multiple #10 cans of mountain house usually six to a box.  My remedial math says that if there are 260 calories per serving and 10 servings per can this is about 2600 calories per #10 can. For a big man doing physical labor that is about one day of food.  So extrapolating this to a six can case that is less than one week of groceries per case.  
If this is correct I need at least 20-30 cases to meet my goals.  I don't have room form30 cases of food.  

Am I missing something?  What I want to know is if anyone has done the math and has a similar answer.
Your math is fine.  Looking at their Beef Stroganoff for example, it's 260 calories and 'about' 10 servings per can.  So you've got a total of 'about' 2600' calories.  But he's the issue, there are 800mg of sodium PER serving so now you're looking at about 8000mg of sodium per day which is way too much for an adult.  Even in a hot climate and working hard.  And adult needs at most about a fourth of that per day.  Some folks with hypertension or balance issues need far less.  

So MH and cans like it are okay for a once-a-day meal but you'd still have to watch your total sodium intake for the day.

You'd be better off making your own 5 gallon buckets with rice, beans, lentils, oatmeal etc.  In this section is the easy way to do it with videos and such.  It's less expensive and you know exactly what's in the buckets because you made them up yourself.  And a 5 gallon buck of rice and a 5 gallon bucket of beans will go a long way.  Makes a good staple.  Then use the MH cans to supplement the rice and beans (or whatever) for variety and extra calories.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Going further on this, MH isn't cheap by any means.  Making your own 5 gallon buckets is far cheaper.  The bucket and lid at Home Depot or Lowes is less than $5 and is reusable.  You can get the mylar bags off ebay and they should come with oxygen absorbers. Then you just buy in bulk what you want to store.  Big bags of rice and beans isn't that expensive and they go a LONG way.  

For example, if you use 1 cup of rice as a 'serving', which is more than enough usually for two people, then a 5 gallon bucket has about 186 servings.  That's pretty substantial.  

I don't recall the size rice bag I used.  It was around 20-25lbs for the 5 gallon bucket.  Just picking a random bag that's advertised a Walmart, Great value long grain rice 20lbs is $9.38.  Twelve 5 gallon mylar bags on Amazon (w/oxygen absorbers) are $30 (and that's just picking a listing and not price shopping for the best value).  So that's $2.50 per bucket.  So now for a bucket that gives you 186 servings (for two people or over 360+ for one person) you're into a bucket of rice for $5 (bucket and lid) + $10 rice + $2.50 mylar bag and absorber = $17.50 (just rounding off the number).  Looking around MH I'm seeing $30+ for 10 servings. Big difference!  

And a 5 gallon bucket can be stacked so it probably takes up less room overall than a case of 6 #10 cans.

Thanks for your reply. Makes good sense and confirms the effort I put into those five gallon buckets three years ago.
I have collected five more buckets with lids and will pack another batch of rice and beans as soon as it cools down and the humidity drops to a resonance level here in south Texas.
Hey no problem  Smile

I'm looking to make up a few more buckets myself.  Just gives you a nice sense of comfort to have them tucked away for a rainy day.  

I do have some #10 cans in the inventory.  I got a really good deal on powdered whole eggs a couple of years ago.  Decent amount of servings, IIRC around 76 per can.  That was prior to raising quail but at least I've got a couple of options now for eggs. 

And I did buy a 5 gallon bucket of gluten free options for my wife as she's on a specialized diet.

I have found it to be much cheaper, and to take up less space if you rely more upon dried beans and grains themselves, freeeze dried bulk veggies and spices to season for most meals.
My plans look a bit like this:

So far, I have about 550 gallons of water. I also intend to store three 50 gallon drums with tab water. This takes up a ton of room. But, buying cans of powdered eggs, sealed oats with a 25 year shelf life and freeze dried fruits will give PLENTY of breakfasts for my family and myself. I am foregoing meat for most plans, except in the case of hunting, which will likely be done long after food stores begin to run low (specifically in the case of fallout).
That said, beans, beans, beans and rice/ potatoes/ corn. This creates a perfect protein and will take much less to get your servings and/ calories, as far as I can tell. We don't rely heavily on meats or grains to begin with, so I figure that we will feel plenty full when this goes into effect anyway. Maybe this didn't help, but I have little room to spare for food storage, either and this is the best I could do. Buying in 5 gallon buckets seem to help, as well.
I have some home made packages of lentils, rice/beans, etc...

I used 1 liter soda bottles and O2 depletors.... I made them up for my kids a bit at a time ( based on what was on sale ).

Now I know they are NOT the best packages, but they have been holding up quite well for the last 5 years. Still tight, not much if any leakage of air in.

It is just a short term solution and they will be used in rotation.... but still worked better than orig thought

( Yes, the 5 gall buckets are the way to go for long term and cals needed for real world )

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My food storage plan Scout 14 3,446 04-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  MREs vs Can food Tom Mac 10 1,596 11-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David
  Dog food bmyers 1 585 08-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Food Storage Plan A3M0N 15 3,067 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
  Saving eggs long term Tom Mac 3 1,046 05-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Last Post: kirgi08