Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Range Workout!
Went out to our family friends farm range and worked on open sights offhand at 100 yards with my newest AR along with working on rifle and pistol transition while wearing my PC... We worked on the range for about 3 hours and stayed relatively comfortable in my setup! It was 85 degrees and humid out! Had 2 liters of water in a bladder on the back of it and 3 loaded AR magazines up front. Plus was running with my range belt loaded with 2 AR mags, 4 pistol mags, pistol, spare ammo and IFAK! The whole package worked great and was easy to change out magazines and switch from rifle to pistol and back again! Plus it was a good physical workout!

Sounds like a fun afternoon. Did you do any specific drills or just general shooting?

We had a rifle night where the RO had us do a pretty neat drill. Based on Travis Haley's 22422 drill. 3 IDPA targets about a yard apart. Start low ready with carbine, 22422, reload, 22422, transition to pistol, 22422. It really works on target transitions, reloading, and rifle to pistol transition. I ran it twice and my best time was just under 13.5sec.
Today was a basic rifle to sidearm transition drill where I start at 100 yards, fire 5 rounds standing, run to 50 yard mark, drop to one knee and fire 5 more rounds, stand up and move to 25 yard mark while firing and when I hit the 25 yard mark I transition to sidearm and fire at 2 different targets (separated by 5 feet) while moving to the 10 yard mark... Gets the heart rate up and forces you to concentrate on multiple factors! I usually start with general shooting to loosen up and then end the session with shooting a single pistol mag at 10 yards to just slow down! Always a good time!

I like your drill idea, I will try that on the next outing!
I like your drills guys!  

One of my toughest was in an Israeli Instinctive Shooting Instructor Course.  You start at the 3 yard line.  Pick up a classmate in a fireman's carry (he's been wounded) and move backwards while drawing from under your shirt, racking the slide off your belt (their normal carry condition is full magazine/empty chamber) and engage three targets live fire while moving to cover.

Anything, like what everyone has described, just makes you a better shooter and able to handle more situations.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
The drill with a "wounded" classmate is a good idea! Gets me thinking of ideas where you could use a large duffel bag loaded to simulate a body and practice shooting drills with dragging it or carrying it while moving to cover! Reloading while under that weight or dragging it would be good as well! Great recommendation David! Thanks!
Could also have some video you for review afterwards.  Nothing like seeing yourself in action along with a realistic critique of what you did good and what needs work.  Use that in my martial arts class.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Range mac66 18 720 09-25-2019, 02:27 AM
Last Post: mac66
  Took the 48 and 43X to the range bmyers 3 271 04-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Disappointing range trip with the G43X bmyers 2 255 04-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  Fun day at the range bmyers 6 1,782 10-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Last Post: David
Thumbs Up Pocket pistol range report David 9 3,062 12-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Last Post: David