Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My food storage plan
Wise food storage up to 25 years
feed 4 persons for up to 4 months 499.99
start prepping in 5 gallon buckets 
get some sugar, honey, peanut butter etc.

Water i have 6    5 gallons containers of spring water in rotation for making lemonade and ice tea.
12 cases of 32 bottles of drinking water in rotation.
a 5,000 gallon hot tub and a great MSR water filter.

I think this is a good start.
After we chatted did you look at the videos in the other thread about making your own food buckets?  A LOT cheaper and you know exactly what's in them.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Yes i looked. i would like to get together and do some 5 gallon buckets with you since you have done it b4.
I prefer regular food basics (wheat, flour, veggies, fruit, meat (canned) staples, seasonings) to prepared meals like MRE's Mountain House).
These regular foods and meal components are way less expensive and allow me to eat and make meals like I do now.
Also prefer dehydrated to freeze-dried because of lower price and greater volume per unit.
Here's a hint: the corn, oats, barley, wheat and a few other items are readily available at your local feed store and at incredibly low prices compared to "human" food sources. Most are not altered and come from the same silos that Ralston-Purina and other big guys get there stuff for human food products. You will have to get 5 gallon buckets and  oxygen absorbers (and maybe mylar bags) to store the stuff. Easy way to amass a good store of basic commodities at very, very very low cost.
tbc
Yes thats what David and myself were talking about, were going to get together one day and do some food preps exactly the way your describing. but thanks for your opinion the more people i talk to the more seem to agree with yours and Davids idea on this issue.
(09-07-2016, 12:41 PM)TheBigCroaker Wrote: Here's a hint: the corn, oats, barley, wheat and a few other items are readily available at your local feed store and at incredibly low prices compared to "human" food sources. Most are not altered and come from the same silos that Ralston-Purina and other big guys get there stuff for human food products. 

Okay, that is something to check into.  I have several feed stores close to home and where I get my rabbit and quail food.  Next time I'm in all have to see what they have available.  Oats would be of interest...

I really try to keep a balance of basic buckets vs longer term vs Mountain House.

Each plays a role....

But food buckets are stupid cheap for what they hold!
(10-29-2016, 01:24 AM)Bob Wrote: I really try to keep a balance of basic buckets vs longer term vs Mountain House.

Each plays a role....

But food buckets are stupid cheap for what they hold!

Bob, you make your own buckets or buy them?

I just packed a bunch of 20+ 1L soda bottles ( cleaned of course ) with rice, legumes, grn peas,etc... A few o2 depeletors and sealed up.

Will they last as long as a bucket and mylar, prob not... but will last long enough for me ( since basically dry already ) and the smaller amounts are easy to rotate/use
(11-04-2016, 03:40 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: I just packed a bunch of 20+ 1L soda bottles ( cleaned of course ) with rice, legumes, grn peas,etc... A few o2 depeletors and sealed up.

Will they last as long as a bucket and mylar, prob not... but will last long enough for me ( since basically dry already ) and the smaller amounts are easy to rotate/use

Be careful with those soda bottles Tom.  All jokes aside, there are some pretty nasty chemicals that leach out of them over time.  I used to reuse Aquafina water bottles all the time until someone pointed out tons of research pointing to cancer caused from degrading plastic such as plastic water bottles.  Old used and cleaned Mason glass jars are more expensive but excellent for storage.  Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 'Go-To' Food Stocks Bob 2 55 10-16-2018, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Bob
  MREs vs Can food Tom Mac 10 2,113 11-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David
  Dog food bmyers 1 744 08-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Food Storage Plan A3M0N 15 3,617 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
  How long will my freeze dried food last Rusty gun 6 1,884 05-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Food shortages in europe due to weather Wolfman 5 1,645 03-22-2017, 04:09 PM
  Emergency food ration bars David 16 5,628 09-09-2016, 12:39 AM
Question Trail food David 12 5,317 10-23-2015, 01:07 PM
  Bugs As Food JRSC 1 1,664 08-03-2015, 02:38 AM
Last Post: JRSC
Video How to Store Food in 5 Gallon Buckets David 1 1,336 07-14-2015, 07:26 AM