Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossfit (eyeroll)
I like Crossfit, but I'm not the kool-aid drinking Crossfitter. There are other ways out there to get fit, I like it because I started it in the military and the local gym give a GREAT discount to ministers (yeah, that's new to me!). My gym is also a low key Crossfit Box, of course they like doing it, but the don't beat you over the head with it either. 

Having said all that, unfortunately I performed a lift with bad form some weeks back and herniated 2 disks in my lumbar spine. I've been out since then, I need to get back to exercising somehow! I see a neurosurgeon this week for a consult.
I try to mix up my workouts partly because it's better to mix stuff up and partly because I get bored. I bike, do weight machine circuits, swim, free weights, elliptical, spinning, aerobics etc. I try to rotate through that stuff every couple weeks. If I was younger I might have gotten into cross fit since I very goal oriented but I am not that intense anymore.
Wow, its been a while since I've been here! I started a new workout plan today. I devised it myself, so it may not be the most efficient workout, but I think its something that I can/will stick to. Here it goes.

I work "4" days a week. I'm a youth/family minister, so I'm in the office Monday - Thursday, but Sunday is considered a working day as I'm almost always teaching/preaching/leading singing/etc. I also do a lot of weekend activities with my kids and camps, mission trips, etc. I digress. Anyway, 4 days a week in the office, Friday is my off day and I do my yard work on Fri AM, which is a workout in itself.

AM: Alternate rucking/running. I started this morning carrying 15 lbs for roughly one mile. I'll start running again tomorrow, probably just jogging for a few weeks, then I'll start some sprints too.

On the Hour: I brought my 35 lbs kettlebell to my office, I plan to start with 10 swings every hour. In an ideal 8 hour day, that'll be 80 swings. I can always push to 12-15 per hour if its too easy. I can substitute some kettlebell snatches, presses or other movements to hit other areas than just my core.

2/3x Per Day: 2-3 Sets of push ups/planks/bodyweight squats. Maybe just at lunchtime and before bed, I haven't totally decided yet.

I think this a pretty reasonable, functional way to workout. It gets me out of my chair and should also help with focus. Exercise is one of the most recommended ways to help folks with ADHD to focus, along side my medication.
I like it!

Keeps you active throughout the day and good as a total body workout.

I like the hiking drill you've got going.  That's practical and a really good workout.  Keep it up!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Thanks! So far I'm enjoying the rucking. I'm only walking around my neighborhood right now, its about 1.22 miles per lap. There is a park across from my neighborhood with a trail that is roughly 1/2 mile. It'll be boring walking in a circle, but easy to track the distance.

I also did 3 sets of pushups wearing my pack yesterday, adding a little more resistance can't hurt!
I can't wait to get back into my workouts.  I've taken the last couple of weeks off as I'm on vacation and doing projects around the house.  After tiling all day I just don't have it in me to do a workout.  But figure it's a workout in and of itself with all the carrying/kneeling/squatting etc.  

At least I'm sore like I worked out  Big Grin
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
didn't exercise a bit today....

had to dig a 2ft deep trench for 60 ft.... got half done today, tomorrow the other half

( btw 90d temp to hot to work )
My exercise for the last few days has been cutting trees then moving and stacking logs. I'm so stiff and sore I can hardly move.

I will say that I recently saw a film on Netflix on Crossfit. I kinda wish they had that back in the day when I was younger. I'd definately would have gotten into it. I played football in college then did some mini triathalons before my knee/ankle injuries put and end to that stuff. I still ride my bike almost everyday, swim laps when I can, do the elliptical and weights at the gym 2-3 days a week.
I went to the gym Saturday morning with my wife. She has been asking me to go and I finally agreed. We did a 12 minute ab workout course, a 30 minute try to kill me course (there is another name for it but I'm sure she was trying to kill me), then 20 minutes of some weight lifting legs and arms, 5 minutes on a stair climbing thing, 10 minute bike ride, and finally a 15 minutes on the treadmill.

I can hardly move today. She on the other hand is like it is no big deal.

This is suppose to become a regular Saturday morning thing for us. She goes Monday-Friday with her friends and I on the other hand never go to the gym.

In the long run, it will be a good thing, but next trip, we are going to limit it to an hour.