Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Storage Plan
Buy spices they can turn a bland around'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(07-21-2017, 06:21 PM)bmyers Wrote: We started with increasing just the amount of 'normal' day to day food we have on hand. We started going to SAMS and buying in bulk, instead one couple of cans of corn, we bought a case.

We then started looking at longer term storage items. We added rice for each family member, then beans. We added seasoning, honey, sugar, etc.

This was great until we realized we had no idea really how to cook most of this stuff. So, we bought some cookbooks and wife downloaded some recipes, then we started trying different ones to see what we liked and didn't like. We then adjusted our stores to include more food we like with seasonings we liked that could be stored long term.

Knowing that a lot of the long term food wasn't the highest in vitamins, we then started purchasing some of the bulk vitamin tablets and cycle them through our daily use.

As we were discussing what we like to eat, we realized drinking water was fine, but would get old after a while. So we added different mixes (Tang, Kool-aid, etc.) to our stores. Again all stuff we use, but we added a much greater quantity. We know cycle items through and when we move one up for use, we replace it the next trip to the store.

Finally, we wanted a variety to add to the meals, so we started buying some freeze dried food that would store long term and allow us to add variety to the meals.

We have hit the 90-day mark for having decent meals stored up and after that, the quality would start turning rather bland. We continue to add and improve our stores using the space we have and with he budget we have. Our next goal is to make it to the 180 day mark with having one decent meal a day for three and then two smaller meals.

Have you seen the video in this section on making your own long term food buckets?  Easy and inexpensive.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
No I haven't watched the video. I'm still reading through all the various and great topics trying to absorb all the info on this forum.
(07-22-2017, 02:00 PM)bmyers Wrote: No I haven't watched the video. I'm still reading through all the various and great topics trying to absorb all the info on this forum.

It's this one here:

How to store food in 5 gallon buckets
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Thanks, I forwarded the link to the wife to watch.
Don't forget o2 packs.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MREs vs Can food Tom Mac 10 1,502 11-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David
  My food storage plan Scout 13 3,190 08-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Scout
  Dog food bmyers 1 552 08-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  How long will my freeze dried food last Rusty gun 6 1,487 05-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Food shortages in europe due to weather Wolfman 5 1,237 03-22-2017, 04:09 PM
  Emergency food ration bars David 16 4,805 09-09-2016, 12:39 AM
Question Trail food David 12 4,531 10-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
  Bugs As Food JRSC 1 1,461 08-03-2015, 02:38 AM
Last Post: JRSC
Video How to Store Food in 5 Gallon Buckets David 1 1,152 07-14-2015, 07:26 AM
Last Post: kirgi08