Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
.22 Survival rifle (using the Marlin 795 as example)
Thumbs Up 
Mac66 has a fantastic right up on the Marlin 795 in the following link.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and in particular the way he tweaked it for use as a survival rifle.  I wanted to put this in it's own thread for ready reference as I know I'm going to be looking back at it again.  I also thought it made for a good discussion on the .22 rifle as a survival/bug out/trunk rifle.  Here's the link, it currently has several parts to it:

Marlin 795-Inexpensive Training, Plinking (and Survival?) Rifle

Feel free to discuss the article, you're own .22 set up or the .22 as a survival/bug out/trunk rifle or whatever.  

Thanks Mac  Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I loved reading this article! Being a fan and believer of the versatility of the .22lr it was refreshing to see this! Every serious survivalist or firearm owner in general should own an inexpensive .22 like the 795...

Being the proud owner of a Marlin 795, I can appreciate the creativity in the customization of Mac66's rifle! I added rails to the fore stock of mine to support future accesories such as a light, fore grip, and bipod! Love the idea of using the hollow buttstock for survival storage!

I like the idea of loading the hollow stock with supplies. My only concern would be getting to them in a hurry. If you are using that as an emergency kit and need to start a fire ASAP, finding a screwdriver to disassemble your rifle might be too long. For that reason, the tinfoil ammo under the barrel is not ideal. I think you could figure out a quick release butt plate for fast access to make this handier. The 10/22 takedown is a logical choice for a similar project. Even if you don't load the stock up, the case it comes with could hold one heck of a survival kit.
That's why I started to really like Mac's 'final' version with the butt stock ammo carrier and pouch.  I just bought a SG version on Ebay for $5 shipped that holds 5 shells on the outside and 5 or 6 more inside the zippered pouch.  Something like this for a survival rifles would be perfect.  That way you can pack the zippered ammo pouch with items that may be more pressing, like fire making tools like you mentioned and the stock for stuff that may be important but not necessarily 'need-right-now'.  Stuff like fishing kit, compass, flashlight or spare batteries, cleaning items etc.  

A nice sling that maybe has some zippered pockets or ammo carriers would be good as well.

The exterior pocket makes a ton of sense. Like you said, put the important stuff you may need fast in the pouch. I'm sure someone offers a sling with storage. I was also thinking that the stock could hold a bit more if you cut back on the magazines. Having a few spare magazines in the pouch and more loose ammo in the stock would free up some space. 1 in the gun and 2 spares in the pouch should be plenty. You'd have just as much ammo total, but 2 fewer mags. With no magazines in the stock, you probably double the capacity for other survival/first aid items.
Those buttstock pouches make a lot of sense for sure for extra ammo. Put the mini survival kit in the hollowed out buttstock and your mags and ammo in the pouch! I have one of those pouches on my .22 pellet rifle and it works well!
For anyone interested:

Fox Outdoor Shotgun Butt Stock Cheek Rest

Multiple colors and only $5 shipped.  Already received mine with tags and it was a fast ship.

My dad bought me a Marlin Papoose many moons ago. It's a great little gun. The barrel is detachable and the gun fits in a convenient little case. I still take it out for vermin removal and small game hunting. Looks just like the one in the link but with a wood stock.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
My personal choice for my survival/bug out .22lr is my S&W M&P 15-22... I wanted an AR platform that was familiar, easy to take apart and clean, could be broken down for easy concealment, easy spare part accessibility, ability to accessorize to my needs, and had some hidden storage in it! 

I found mine on arms list for $300 and it came with 3-25 round magazines and a Dagger Defense red dot! I added an angled fore grip, tactical 2point sling, coyote tan rail covers and pistol grip, and a 3X UTG magnifier with a QD side flip mount and finally a rail mounted light!... Then I bought a can of rustoleum camo textured tan spray paint and painted the adjustable buttstock and a couple of magazines! Plus I fabricated a barrel shroud and painted that. The paint has held up great in the field and shows no sign of wear.

With the red dot I am hitting 2" groups off hand at 50 yards and hitting 10" X 12" steel targets out to 200 yards. With the added 3X magnifier has added accuracy and identification abilities! I'm really pleased with the set up!

The 15-22 being a dedicated .22 AR platform makes for a versatile rifle that shares most parts with standard AR's and has been accurate and fun platform for small game and varmint hunting! Also for reg AR owners this makes a great training paltform! A little expensive for a .22lr compared to a lot of the other popular survival/bug out .22's and it is rarely included in these write ups but I'm a fan and proponent of it!

On a side note, I'm going to put a small survival kit (paracord, matches, firestarter) in the buffer tube and see how it works!
(08-17-2016, 05:01 PM)jayclimber Wrote: My personal choice for my survival/bug out .22lr is my S&W M&P 15-22... I wanted an AR platform that was familiar, easy to take apart and clean, could be broken down for easy concealment, easy spare part accessibility, ability to accessorize to my needs, and had some hidden storage in it! 

I found mine on arms list for $300 and it came with 3-25 round magazines and a Dagger Defense red dot! I added an angled fore grip, tactical 2point sling, coyote tan rail covers and pistol grip, and a 3X UTG magnifier with a QD side flip mount and finally araik mounted light!... Then I bought a can of rustoleum camo textured tan spray paint and painted the adjustable buttstock and a couple of magazines! Plus I fabricated a barrel shroud and painted that. The paint has held up great in the field and shows no sign of wear.

With the red dot I am hitting 2" groups off hand at 50 yards and hitting 10" X 12" steel targets out to 200 yards. With the added 3X magnifier has added accuracy and identification abilities! I'm really pleased with the set up!

The 15-22 being a dedicated .22 AR platform makes for a versatile rifle that shares most parts with standard AR's and has been accurate and fun platform for small game and varmint hunting! Also for reg AR owners this makes a great training paltform! A little expensive for a .22lr compared to a lot of the other popular survival/bug out .22's and it is rarely included in these write ups but I'm a fan and proponent of it!

On a side note, I'm going to put a small survival kit (paracord, matches, firestarter) in the buffer tube and see how it works!

That's a good idea. A sandwich bag survival kit would be ideal.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video .22 rifle for home defense? David 15 1,691 07-30-2018, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
Question Considering a rifle... David 122 50,078 01-26-2018, 05:50 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Added a few things to the wife's rifle bmyers 4 687 01-23-2018, 12:07 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  This is a pack rifle Ronin.45 8 2,708 01-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Cougar90
  DIY integrated rifle sling for a plate carrier jayclimber 1 955 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
  HD shotgun/rifle David 16 4,249 08-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Gene
  Survival Shotgun David 15 5,331 07-27-2016, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Interesting Vintage Rifle mac66 6 1,739 06-27-2016, 05:41 PM
Last Post: mac66
  .22/.410 'survival' rifle David 7 3,777 09-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Last Post: David
  Getting my "tactical" rifle all set up Ronin.45 3 1,676 09-19-2015, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Ronin.45