Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scooter
One of the guys on GT was talking about trunk guns but the conversation turned to a mode of transportation I've thought about before...the scooter.  The ole fashion kind aka kick-scooter.

[Image: A5S2007-A.jpg]

Thought about picking up a cheap one, maybe at a garage sale, and tossing it in GHB.  I'd prefer a bike but even a folding bike (which I've considered) would take up more space in my SUV or the wife's van than I'd want to give up.  A scooter though could fold up even flatter/smaller so it wouldn't be as cumbersome.  Light enough you can carry them up an incline or over debris if necessary.  According to google, the average walking speed of an adult is 3.1 miles per hour (depending upon multiple factors of course).  Here's an article about bikes and kick scooters with a video of a scooter user going over 20 mph.

Kick Scooter vs bike?

Now that's going to vary greatly of course depending on terrain, type of tires/wheels and weight etc.  But it's safe to say that it would be faster than the shoe leather express.  Here's an article where the average is around 6-7 mph with up to around 16 mph.  

Kick scooter – speed, velocity

So that's at least twice as fast as walking.  Looking around the net I'm seeing 2-3 times faster than walking.  Not bad and something to consider.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Better than a kick scooter is a gas powered stand up one like the GoPed. Still pretty small and can take you a long ways on a few ounces of fuel. Stash in the trunk and you're good to go. I had an electric one for awhile. It would go a couple miles on a charge. Newer ones do much better but can't compete with the gas ones for speed or distance.
I like the idea of the Goped, but I'm chea....er, frugal  Big Grin

23 Wacky Survival Items

Which includes the scooter!

Interesting option. I see kids getting around on these when I'm in town. The more adroit are able to jump curbs and other obstacles without missing a beat. For those with paved roads along their routes it looks like a good option to quicken the walk home.