Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sprouting seeds
Video 

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I've been doing this and it's working great.  I'm sprouting broccoli and mung bean right now (on my second batch).  After I sprout them I put them in my smoothie and it is delicious!

Started this up again.  Broccoli, mung and alfalfa doing well.  Great for salads and super easy  Smile

I registered for a Basic Gardening - Seed Starting webinar. There's a 24 hour replay if you can watch it.
(Started at 7pm EST)

http://app.webinarjam.net/replay/22111/5...0/32097338

I learned a great deal from it. The participants asked good questions. I got a real good idea from one. Cut up paper towel roller. Fill them up with potting soil and start the seeds in them. When the plant has grown enough to plant, just stick it in the ground.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Cut up paper towel roller. Fill them up with potting soil and start the seeds in them. When the plant has grown enough to plant, just stick it in the ground.

I use old egg shells.  When I break the shells I try and get half unbroken... fill with potting soil then seed and place back in egg crate.
After they get big enough, it's easy to transfer the shell/plant in one and crack the shell with fingers... adds to the soil.
(05-04-2016, 01:00 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: Cut up paper towel roller. Fill them up with potting soil and start the seeds in them. When the plant has grown enough to plant, just stick it in the ground.

I use old egg shells.  When I break the shells I try and get half unbroken... fill with potting soil then seed and place back in egg crate.
After they get big enough, it's easy to transfer the shell/plant in one and crack the shell with fingers... adds to the soil.

Great idea. I'm certain the calcium from the shells help give nutrients as the plant grows.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
I hate to be a wet blanket but you are not getting much of the calcium out of the eggshell unless you basically turn it into a powder. It will take 5 to 6 months in the dirt for the egg shell to break down enough to add any significant levels of calcium. If you take your egg shells an throw them on a tray an put them in the oven to toast them. After they are toasted break them up fairly well and put them in a blender with some water and blend enough to pulverize them - the smaller the better. Pour the mixture in the soil where the root ball will be concentrated and the benefits will maximize in 3 to 4 weeks and last about 6 months.
I didn't know it took that long, but the main reason I use the shells is I have many and it's just plain easy to transfer from the crate to ground without harming young plant.
A better method for adding calcium is oyster shells. If you get a chance get a bucket of them and lay them out in the sun for a month or two. Turn them about every two weeks. Then take a hammer and turn big pieces it small pieces, again smaller is better. The sun weakens the integrity of the shell making it easier to pulverize. Take 1/8 cup of the powder and mix with your tomato soil, It will do a much better job and last much longer.

I do like the transfer method.
(05-05-2016, 01:04 AM)Tsquare Wrote: If you take your egg shells an throw them on a tray an put them in the oven to toast them. After they are toasted break them up fairly well and put them in a blender with some water and blend enough to pulverize them - the smaller the better. 

I do this as a supplement for my quail.  Easy to do and plentiful since we eat quite a few eggs during the week.

I like the planting ideas tossed out here in the thread, need to remember these tips, thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Storing Seeds JRSC 4 2,723 05-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Last Post: David