Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your GHB
(04-16-2017, 05:10 PM)David Wrote:
(04-16-2017, 06:47 AM)Chico Bill Wrote: I'm thinking the Sawyer filter is a big advantage...

I think these things are the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I've got several of them and include one in my EDC pack.  In another thread I shared this link:

Woman stranded for nine days...

She had a filter that allowed her to stay hydrated and probably saved her life.  Of note, she also had a whistle that attracted SAR to her location.

One thing that comes to mind is having pocketable items in your bag. I have items in a small magellan pouch ( fire, compass, knife) that would go in my pocket should I need to use the bag. That ladies story got me thinking of the importance of that. If you fall and lose your bag the important items would be on your person
What's in Your "Get Home" Bag?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
We use Badlands Rap 18 Paks for GHB  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/241550...pack-nylon

When I was pushing 300lbs, these were the only ones that would fit me. Didn't matter that I got short winded walking across the room, I just wanted a pack that fit me. 

A year later, I'm down to 235lbs and walk on regular bases and can actually wear the pak with room to spare. 

Items in the pak:
  • Knife
  • Survivor Pro water filter
  • First aid kit
  • Hygeni bag 
  • Plastic box with lots of odds and ends (need to take a picture of it)
  • Fire kit
  • Survival bars and tablets
  • Extra socks
  • Bandannas
  • Emergency blankets
  • Emergency Shelter
  • Two double AA flashlights and spare batteries
  • Solar powered lantern
  • Raincoat
  • Eating utensils
  • Compass
  • Extra magazines
  • Playing cards
  • Survival handbook
  • Other stuff
I need to lay everything out and take pictures. We have weighed them and the paks loaded weigh 28lbs. We have wore them on a couple of day hikes and they wore well. The frame distributes the weight well. 

Most days we are less than 50 miles from home (I work 1.5 miles from the house and my wife works 5 miles) so generally our EDC bags would be more than enough to get us home. If we go on a longer trip, we adjust the bags. We also will take the bag out of the vehicle that is staying at home. Plus, we throw in a collapse wagon which can 150lbs. We generally have to much stuff, but as the wife and I have discussed we can always leave something that we don't see the need for at the time.
I have actually migrated the Sawyer from my main pack to my Maped Jumbo. Katadyn is now the main pack hydration tool.

Those things are fantastic though! Need to get some more.
Thumbs Up 
Came out of work last night and had a flat tire on my POV.  Had a bunch of buddies help out and I got the chance to use the tire plug kit I bought for each vehicle.  First time I've had to use it and it really worked well.  I didn't even have to take the tire off, plugged it right where it was and pumped it up with a plug-in compressor.  Made it home without further issue and it was still fine this morning.

I'd highly recommend it for anyone's GHB kit.

Do you have a link to the kit?
I don't remember if I got it off Amazon, Ebay or just went up to Walmart.  I do know that Walmart has them in the automotive section.  In fact it's an entire little section of tire repair and air compressors.  Here's a link to Amazon as an example of exactly what I have in each vehicle:

Slime 1034-A T-Handle Tire Plug Kit

I have to say, I was really impressed with how well it worked.  That tire is still inflated just as if I had it plugged at an auto repair place.  Whole thing took less than 30 minutes to pull the screw, use the kit and inflate.  And actually it would have taken less time but I started to get the spare and take the tire off then decided to try the kit.  Depending on the vehicle and how much clearance you have you may be able to do it with the tire still on the vehicle.  If in front just turn the wheel to provide clearance.

Yes, that is a good kit... I have a couple with extra gummie worms.
Have found the glue does make it easier for the worm plug to go in and helps seal.
A quality plug kit should be in EVERY vehicle.A decent hydraulic jack and a 4-way,you can't always plug a tire.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Yes, having the kit is a great idea. When I owned two cars and drove extensively, I kept a full size spare on a rim for each car in the shade by the garage. I had observed that most of my flats exposed themselves in the morning after the car had set all night. By doing this, I never had to empty the car trunk to get access to the spare in the car. Then, I would simply call AAA and have the service take off the flat and put on the spare. I would take the flat to Costco and have it fixed for free.