Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your GHB
I figure the pop tarts would last a thousand years or so, but how about the jerky? How long is it good for in the summer heat? Still have several of the emergency food bars from Walmart in each vehicle.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
If you don't open the jerky? I'm guessing indefinitely.
I just did an inventory on my GHB, which is a work in progress, so I’ll list what is in there right now and what changes I know I need to make.  I’ll also list some other vehicle prep supplies I have.  I live almost 40 miles from work but there’s about 3,400 feet of elevation gain going from work to home and in the event of “The Big One”, it’s entirely possible vehicle traffic won’t be possible due to rock/landslides, damage to roadways, etc.  We live in a rural area on the San Andreas fault zone so it’s very likely that even if I can get part of the way home, there will be some serious walking involved.  Especially during summer months there won’t be much water available except for a lake about halfway between work and home – unless I deviate heavily and increase both the distance and elevation shifts.  I’ve bounced back and forth and I’m currently trying to minimize weight since I’ll be carrying a fair amount of water.  

Obviously, my goal is to get home as quickly as possible, but the reality of the environment, particularly in the hot (100 degree plus) summer months, coupled with the distance and elevation gain makes me think somewhere around 5-6 days is a realistic goal – and even with that I’ll need to do some training, which I’ve already begun with my family.  

So details…

I always carry a firearm.  Most recently it’s been a Glock 26 (with 12rd mag), so we’ll go with the “now”.  I also carry a spare 15rd G19 mag, a small knife (CRKT Squirt), a Streamlight PT1L-1AA flashlight, and a Ruger LCP .380.  I have at least two spare G17 17rd magazines in the car so that’s the baseline of defensive firearms.  

In my car I have a kit that includes snow chains, jumper cables, an inverter, pump siphon, first aid kit, glow sticks (my sad version of road flares), and a beanie cap.  In the trunk I have a 9’x12’ plastic tarp and one of those older green wool military blankets.  I also have a bag containing goggles and a dust mask, maps, warmer clothing for winter months, a Baofeng 2M radio with accessories, and a small Grundig AM/FM/SW radio that uses AA batteries.  

For work-related stuff I also have an external vest with level IIIA soft armor, a Recon Mountaineer Medic bag with several tourniquets and trauma supplies, ballistic helmet, and broken-in Oakley boots.  

My GHB is a fairly large Gregory internal frame backpack.  It’s blue, which I like for blending in.  It has two front waist pockets which will carry my compass and Magellan Explorist 200 GPS (it’s old and basic but it works for what I need and I got it on clearance at a drug store several years ago for $20).  I attached a small folding shovel (the small camping ones – think gardening) in its nylon pouch to a strap on my pack

There are two side pockets.  The right one is open (If bad things happened today my G26 would go in the one on the right side) and the left holds my stainless sierra cup with folding handle and my Kleen Canteen stainless water bottle.  The bottle is empty but I’d fill it with water I keep in my car prior to embarking on my long walk.

There is a medium sized pocket in the top flap in which I carry my basic tools, trauma kit, and first aid kit.  It includes the following:

Condor Bushcraft basic knife
Bahco Laplander saw*
Notebook and Pencil
Knife Sharpener*
Streamlight MicroStream Flashlight (AAA battery)
Fenix Headlamp (AAA battery)
Trauma Kit
     -SOF-T Tourniquet
     -HALO Chest seal
     -Emergency Pressure Bandage
     -Duct Tape
     -NPA
     -Needle Decompression Kit
     -Combat Gauze
First Aid Kit
     -bandaids
     -basic meds
     -blister stuff
     -tweezers
     -wound cleaning stuff

I need to improve the basic first aid kit.  I’m considering dumping the trauma kit and maybe incorporating a few of those supplies into the first aid kit.  I’m also considering dumping the Microstream since I also have the PT1L-1AA and the headlamp.  I need a better sharpener.  I have a Fallkniven DC4 that I use to sharpen most of my knives but didn’t want to dig into my pack every time I wanted to sharpen a knife, so I should probably get one and dedicate it to the pack. The Laplander saw is great, but it’s big.  I just picked up several different options.  The chain-saw blade with handle types and the cable with split-ring types and I plan on comparing the three to see how they perform and if I can go with something that is lighter or takes up less room.  One thing I like about the Laplander is that I can hold or brace a loose branch and saw with one hand, which won’t work with the other options.  

On the rear of the pack (farthest from my body) is a slim but long vertical pocket.  In this I keep my roll of toilet paper and binoculars.  I may move the binoculars to the top pocket if I dump the trauma kit.  Other stuff could fit in here if I needed to get it without diving into the main part of the pack.

In the main part of the pack I have the following items.  I’m going from the bottom up, and trying to keep heavy items like water and the survival rations as close to me and middle to high as possible.  The design of this pack is really one big bag with a couple zippered pockets attached, so I’ll probably need better organizational storage for the contents, but for now I’ve placed most of the items in zip-lock style bags.  So here goes:
Lightweight pants (LA Police Gear Operator pants) in zip lock
USMC Sweatshirt – Tan – in zip lock
FDE Cotton Scarf
2 pair white standard socks in zip lock
1 pair “Griffin Thermal Boot Sock” (Wool Blend)   *- I need to get 3-4 pairs of “good” socks…
SOL Thermal Bivvy
Microfiber Cloth
30 Gallon trash bag
2 x Gallon containers of water (17lbs but I think necessary)
5 x 2400 calorie emergency rations  *- I’ll get six total, one for each expected day… to be eaten at will.
3 x Mountain House freeze dried camping meals  *-  I want six eventually… One for each evening dinner.
2 x Coffee brew bags.  I need to try the Folger tea-bag style again to see how they compare…  because I NEED my coffee!!!  (and that means at least 6 cups!).
Fire Kit in zip lock
     BIC lighter
     Waterproof matches
     Fatwood
     Firesteel rod
     Scraper
     Cotton rounds
Morale Kit in zip lock
     Harmonica (To make horrible sound)
     Deck of cards
Hygiene Kit in zip lock
     Tooth Brush and Toothpaste etc.
500 feet of paracord

I don’t know the weight right now, but I can carry it and it sits well for the short (2 mile and less) hikes I’ve done with it.  I’m going to get accurate weight measurements in the next couple weeks and I’m totally open to criticism from those who know more than me (and that’s probably most on this board!).

Thanks!
Folding bike.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
It sounds like you have a reasonable start.  You know the expected length of travel, terrain and possible pitfalls that can be expected.  That's key in and off itself.

I'd be curious when you weigh the pack as-is what it will be.  That's always the catch-22 in that you want to pack light enough for ease of carry but yet cover all your expected bases.  I've got limited time at the moment so I'll take your post in sections and toss out some comments as I'm able.  Others can/will chime in with their thoughts.

Defensive:

Glock 26 is a reasonable choice.  That's my off-duty carry as well with a +2 base plate.  Depending on the circumstances I'll have minimum a G19 extra mag or two G17 mags.  I've also tossed in a 50 round box of 9mm FMJ into each vehicle.  It's there if I need it and can carry it.  The Glock 26 is quite concealable so you're not walking around all 'tacticool' and hence can go the grey man route which is much better imo.  

You 'could' consider a trunk gun i.e. some sort of small rifle/shotgun.  Not an absolute necessity but as an option.  In the 'Defense' section is a very long thread on trunk guns and survival shotguns and such.  Again, not a necessity but has lots of information to consider as an option.  Most situations would probably never see the need for a trunk gun but there are some situations where it could be a valuable asset.  Particularly if it may take you several days of travel time.  

Trunk gun

This is a pack rifle

.22 survival rifle

Survival shotgun

Back and forth to work I carry my G26 off-duty weapon.  I also have a Mossberg 500 in a shotgun sheath.  It has a collapsible stock with shell holder.  It has a side saddle.  So between that and the 5-round tube I have 16 shells in/on the weapon.  This is in my primary POV that I drive as it has an area in the cargo compartment that it fits in very well yet stays out of the way.  I'm considering something similar in my other vehicles.

I've seriously considered incorporating a long gun. I have several that could fit the bill, but I'm waiting for some clarification on CAs ridiculous "assault weapon" laws before I make a solid decision. In the mean time, I have a Stoeger Coach gun I could carry disassembled for low profile, and I could rig my scabbard if I needed it more accessible. I could also use my Mossberg 500 or 590A1 (though it's heavy). I've also considered picking up one of those H&R single-shot rifles or a short bolt gun with a folding stock ala the Savage or Mossberg MVP, but the whole weight thing keeps creeping back into my head.

As for the folding bike, it's definitely something to consider, but I have two concerns... I would think it would suck on the uphill stuff, and that assumes I can stay on the freeway. A bike is a no-go for most of the way otherwise. Of course, I don't ride bikes and have no experience with the folding versions so I may be underestimating their utility.

Today I picked up some more food, a Sawyer mini water filter, some gorilla tape, and some small organizational nylon bags. I also realize I should put together a very small and light pistol cleaning kit.

I plan to do some more google-earth viewing of potential routes home to see if maybe I can cut down on carrying quite as much water.
A long gun is really something to consider whether or not it's viable.  Sure, if it's an all out riot or WROL situation then a long gun will give you advantages over a pistol.  Probably in the majority of 'situations' you'll likely never even need a pistol (not that it isn't good to have regardless).  So whether or not it's worth the weight depends on the problem.  And if you're more rural, self-defense against the roving hordes may not be much of a consideration whereas a small .22 rifle like Mac's set up could be a great option for some game while you travel.  

It may be where you have some type of long gun in the vehicle to give you the option of whether or not to tote it if you have to take the shoe leather express.  

My first thought with a bicycle for you was the elevation change you talked about.  Having a pack on your back while going uphill won't be fun by any stretch.  And it will blow through calories and hydration.  And hydration is already an issue as you've mentioned.  The Sawyer mini filter is a great buy though and worth it's weight in gold.  You mentioned a lake half way through your travels but the Sawyer would allow you to get a quick drink if you see a water filled ditch along side the road.  May enable you to not have to carry as much water with you which really adds up the weight.  Perhaps just have a single stainless steel bottle like a Pathfinder or Klean Kanteen.  That way you can collect/boil water you come across.  But also have a plastic (or two) water bottle that the Sawyer can screw onto.  That way if you come across that water in the ditch or whatever you can fill the plastic bottles and attach the Sawyer for water on the go.

The need for the saw could go either way.  I'm assuming your winters are cold and snowy whereas the summers are hot and maybe some rain?  Cold/snow will necessitate a decent shelter so that you can maintain core body temp.  The SOL thermal bivy will give you some wiggle room though on just how complete of a shelter you may need.  You've got a tarp and paracord so you probably wouldn't need to be cutting a lot of wood for shelter so you may be able to not have it on a long trek.  Good to have in the vehicle IF needed but as an option.  That would save some space/weight if you didn't have to bring it.  But a tarp, fire and a bivy goes a long way towards have some safety/comfort.  Well, maybe not a lot of comfort lol.

Your lighting options are sound.  AAA is a good choice as it's common, small, cheap and works.  Headlamp is a good option for hands free.  

Those food bars, sounds like the orange ones from Walmart they use in lifeboats.  I've got those as well.  Thread on them down in the food section.  Suppose to be on the tasty side as well.  I wouldn't say it's health food but it's calories.

Smile

I agree the long gun is something to consider. I'm not an experienced hunter, but I very much know my way around a gun and I've hunted upland game and waterfowl in the past. My main concern in the GHB is defense and speed in traveling a long distance. That's a big balancing act, and I suppose given the circumstances a long-gun could be part of that balance. Of course, given certain "circumstances" and also the questions regarding what is happening with CA law right now, I can't throw an AR (in the configuration it should be) in my trunk. I could bring my Saiga .223, but it's heavy. That said, maybe it's the best I can do right now, but given the environment, a shotgun might be a much better game-getter, so it becomes a defense vs. food debate. Yikes.

I don't think a bike is in the cards right now, both due to circumstance and priority, so while it's a valid consideration, it's something I'll have to think about later.

I'm thinking the Sawyer filter is a big advantage, and I might be able to loose a gallon of water. I'm thinking that rather than dumping a container, just emptying half of each when needed and being able to keep two gallon-size container just in case. I still need to do some more research on route, but I'm looking at another way to go that may allow me more access to water but a bit longer walk. Things to consider...

As for saws... I did some testing of several versions today and I've been convinced. That will be another post...

My "food bars" are indeed the Walmart versions. Prior to those I had lifeboat rations that I obtained from a really badass SoCal preparedness store which I'll link below in case anyone is around or wants to order on line. From that shop I purchased some rations and tried them when I replaced them with the Walmart version. They aren't too bad, but boring. I also purchased some ration bars that have various fruit flavors. If there are no other posts on them I'll open a few and do a review, but I keep them in my car, at work, etc., as quick "I'm frigin' hungry and have nothing else" emergency food. I want to make sure I'm balancing the rations with food that will be more satisfying and give me energy, which is why I'm incorporating coffee, freeze-dried food, and some jerky that will be on rotation. Those rations are/were originally meant for people in a life boat... which meant they weren't doing much.
Couple thoughts while reading this...

-A take down .22 rifle like the Ruger or Henry Ar7 or Marlin Papoose (70p) would be a handy long gun to pack away. Some people even use those tiny Cricket or Chipmonk single shot bolt guns. One thing about .22s is that you can buy subsonic/quiet ammo for them. It is really hard to determine where one shot came from.

- Conversely, something like a small single .410 shotgun is probably even better for small game. Can also be used with buck or slugs. Disadvantage is that they are louder.

-A revolver with different loads (including shot loads) might be viable choice.

-Bicycles, those folding bikes are almost more trouble than they are worth. They are not easy to ride and not very efficient. On the other hand, any bike is better than walking and remember the Vietcong used bikes to transport ungodly amounts of stuff down the Ho Chi Minh trail simply by pushing it. So if you can't ride it, push it. Still easier than humping your stuff on your back.

-Powered stuff-...

1. Scooters-There are stand on or sit on scooters that are powered by either electric or gas engines. The stand on gas ones are sometimes called Go-Peds (expensive) or there are lots of knockoffs. There are also off road ones. Electric ones are sometimes called Razor. I bought an electric sit on one when I broke my ankle. I worked on a college campus and used it to get around. It was a two wheel type not a 3 wheel mobility scooter. It would go 5 miles on a charge at about 10-12 miles and hour. It also folded up and easily fit in the trunk of a car. That was a long time ago. The ones today are faster and go farther on a charge. There are lots of fairly cheap ones on ebay and that includes gas powered ones. Some scooters are classified as Mopeds, some not.

2. Bike-lots of different kinds of electric bikes out these days. There are also all kinds of motor kits, both gas and electric you can put on a regular bike. Surprisingly the best bikes to use them on are the cheaper steel framed bikes like the Murray or stuff from Walmart. Steel frame bikes hold up better than aluminum or carbon fiber bikes. From an electric motor standpoint the ones to look for are the "hub motors". Basically they are built into the wheel hub and replace the whole wheel. Kits come with the wheel, controller, sometimes with a battery which is the most expensive part. Do a search on ebay for hub motors. The nice thing about them is that they are very discreet. The are quiet and fast and most people won't notice them. Some can got 20+ MPH for 20-30 miles on a charge. If you peddle along with them you can extend the range. Some people only use them to assist on hills. I see one old guy out on the bike paths using one frequently. Other than him being old, riding kind of a crappy bike, and blowing by me going about 20 MPH while hardly pedaling no one else would even notice. You can usually tell by the thick hub and a bike bag on the back that holds the battery.

The alternative to the electric is a gas engine. Again, do a search for bike engines on ebay and there are all kinds of kits. Advantage with a gasser is that you are only limited in range to the amount of gas you can carry or find. These things are typically have less than 50cc engine in them and get 80-100 MPG. Some can go 30+ MPH. They tend to add 20+lbs to your load however. Most are 2 cycle engine and are not very quiet but people usually only use them when they get out of town. Again, some are classified as mopeds, some not. Some engines fit on the rear rack and can be covered up for discreetness.

There is a forum called https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21 with just about anything you even wanted to know.
(04-16-2017, 06:47 AM)Chico Bill Wrote: I'm thinking the Sawyer filter is a big advantage...

I think these things are the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I've got several of them and include one in my EDC pack.  In another thread I shared this link:

Woman stranded for nine days...

She had a filter that allowed her to stay hydrated and probably saved her life.  Of note, she also had a whistle that attracted SAR to her location.