Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your GHB
Thanks for the tip on the plug kit guys, just ordered one for each vehicle.  Just need to get a second air compressor now.   Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
big, big plus for having a GHB that's fitting to your area.

I tell people to try to plan for their most common situation. Zombie invasion is fun, but not likely. As a city dweller in Central Texas, I'm not really concerned about finding clean water. Carry yes, purify, no. Cover and warmth is important, but not as critical as people in colder areas.

I really like Dave Canterbury's "5 C of survival" as a baseline though. 1.cutting tool 2. cordage 3. container 4. cover. 5. combustible.

I also keep a fleece sleeping bag in the car, that could be used for lots of things. It was $9 at Walmart and it's been handy for impromptu unplanned sleep overs at friends houses. I'm also a HUGE fan of 'Heat Sheets' and wrote a story on GT SP about how one saved my ex gf's life (most likely) . For $6, it's hard to have an excuse not to own one
Bought an air compressor for my vehicle to go with the tire plug kit that's on the way.  Great tip on that guys  Smile

So, I must have jinxed myself talking about the Stop & Go yesterday...

Found a small nail in a new tire of course. I pulled out the three repair kits I have... Reg gummie ropes and insert tool, Dynaplug and the S&G.

It was a small finishing nail so i first tried the Dynaplug ( small brass dart tip and thin gummie rope ) .. NFG, I couldn't get it to puncture thru the tire even tho small ( usu used on a tubeless MC tire ).
Then had to use the rasp to open the hole and tried the regular gummie rope ( old style installer ) and just couldn't get it to go.
Then went to the S&G... had a little trouble getting the awl/insert tool ( needed to rasp a second time ) in but once I did it took about a minute to insert the mushroom plug.

Well all is good, it's hold air and kids bubble crap show no leaks. Tomorrow when I get the time, I'll pull the tire off and use a plug-patch with glue from the inside cause it's a new tire ( on back of vehicle ). ( yes I have a manual tire changer for my MC that will do car tires. )

Like I said, once you get it, drill a small hole in an old unmounted tire tread and try it out so you know/can see how it works.
Like I said, I appreciate the tip(s).  Funny thing is I never really thought about this type or repair prep before but when I went to WM to buy the compressor I saw the repair kits hanging on the rack above.  Should be arriving today or Monday.  Got a deal on Ebay for buy 3 get 1 free so I did.  That will give me a couple of spares or maybe a gift.  Bough some additional packs of those rubber gummy ropes to have on hand as well.

My GHB is set up for a 5 day period, though in reality I'm usually a day to day and a half walk (25 miles) from my home at any given time. I set it up for 5 days for a couple of reasons. One, I may run into someone that would be worth having tag along (extra security) and two, in the even of martial law one would have to move at night and hide during the day which would slow down the process of getting home.
My bag is a 511 HazMat with all the normal essentials....fire starting kit with 5 different ways to make fire. Camel bladder, two canteens, life straw, katadyne hiker plus pump, extra socks, pants, shirts.....poncho liner, duct tape, para chord. My flashlight and head lamp both use AAA batteries and there are 24 extra batteries sealed in a yellow pill bottle. Assorted knives in each water, fire hunting kit along with snares and a couple mouse traps. And of course it may or may not include my primary defensive weapon and 200 rounds of ammo.
My bag has two long channels running from top to bottom on each side externally that are supposed to be for strapping extra things onto, but I inserted a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe into each channel with one glued cap on one end and removable cap with retainer pin on the other end. Fits perfectly and can be used to carry a million different things.

Forgot to add it's got a dozen MRE entrees and assorted power bars and gatorade packets along with stainless cup.
I decided to purchase a new vehicle last Thursday.  Figured it was a good idea to do it before I retire.  Since my previous car, the red Sportage for those that know me, is paid off (years ago) we decided to keep it and pass it on to my son.  He of course was quite happy about getting his own car and it's a nice one for him.

So that means making up a new GHB/box for his vehicle as I plan on transferring mine over to the new vehicle.  Also means I have the opportunity to go through the process with him in detail.  I've done so before of course when he started driving, but it's different when it's your car and your GHB.  You take responsibility and ownership of it.  So I'm quite excited about the whole thing.

Smile

Tire plugging is a lost art. everyone should know how to do this!

Get home prep #1

KEEP THE VEHICLE IN TIP TOP CONDITION!!!!!!
YT is a great resource.  I had a minor problem with the actuator under the dash that controlled the vent flow for the AC/heater/defroster.  Estimates to fix ranged from $150 to $450.  Saw a guy on YT with the same issue and found I could do it myself with minimal effort and no expense.  

Same with brakes.  I heading for needing brakes on the Sportage and the minivan. I can do it myself, including pads and new rotors (rather than just turning the old ones) for the same or less as getting it done somewhere else.  

It pays to keep a vehicle in good condition PLUS being able to do various repairs yourself.  You don't need to be a expert mechanic, but any and all knowledge is a plus.

You know, I don't really have a "get home bag"

My survival philosophy is to simply have my main bag and my survival pouch. It's the same Maxpedition Jumbo I use for everything.

I do keep a stock of car gear in my car.
I also keep some food: Jerky, survival food bars, and usually some pop tarts! I can't tell you how many time the caloric S has hit the fan a pop tart saved the day....

I also carry a couple of large water bottles, so about 3L in the vehicle.