Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your GHB
I was posting in the general section about my out-of-state trip and the comfort of having a GHB in the vehicle when I realized we never did a GHB-specific thread!  We had one a while back on GHB trauma kits.  But not a general thread on this very important aspect of preparedness.  So, here it is!

I've got two different set ups, one in each vehicle.  In my SUV I have a cargo box that could be pad locked if I felt it was necessary (I don't but it's nice to have that capability).  Heavy duty plastic so it's water resistant, light and durable.  Bought it at a garage sale for a buck or two.  I also have a bright red insulated bag.  In the wife's minivan I have an actual cooler, two red bags (one insulated) and an open-top cargo box.

I've got the usual emergency car stuff like jumper cables, red flashing lights, spare tire etc.  In addition I have (off the top of my head):
  • 2D Maglite that's been converted to LED
  • Multiple metal containers with water
  • Several water filters
  • Emergency ration food bars
  • FAK to include Israeli bandage and blood clot
  • Smaller flashlights and spare batteries
  • Emergency space blankets (one HD and the rest the folding)
  • Fire making items like lighters, ferro rods, mag bars as well as chemicals
  • Folding shovel
  • Zip ties and paracord (550)
I'd have to do an actual inventory to list more but those are the general items going off memory.  I check everything occasionally like the flashlights and I replace the water every so often.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
In addition to a pack with many similar items....
I always ( in each vehicle ) have a small elec powered air pump and a plugger kit for the tires. Nothing like being out where ever and having a flat or two.
Nice thing is many times I've plugged it right on the car without un-mounting.
( carry a Stop&Go and normal gummie worms with insert tool )

Stop & Go is usu quick;
[Image: 0000-stop---go-tubeless-tire-plug-gun----mcss.jpg]
I think it would be informative to include our general area and why we carry certain items. I live in the upstate of SC so what I carry would be different than someone from say an urban area up north.
Right now it's hotter than it has a right to be so I carry several canteens and water treatments. Very little in the way of fire starting equipment ( I will add more in the fall). The area I most likely will have to traverse is mostly neighborhoods of a suburban type. Most people I would have to deal with are your typical religious southerners. Polite and most are willing to help within reason. So other than water canteens and some emergency rations all I really carry is some direction finding tools, a poncho and a leatherman. My glock 19 is on me all the time regardless. If something major was to happen for the most part, people here would work together, for a while at least. I look forward to reading what people in other areas pack and why. It would help the rest of us if we ever had to travel through those places.
All my vehicles have road kits, i.e, flares, tire plugs, flash light, fix-a-flat, small air compressor, small snow/sand shovel, rain gear and vehicle maintenance items like a basic tool kit. I also keep a GHB with food rations, water and safety/security gear in my vehicles.

In addition, my pick up truck has box in the back full of all kinds of other stuff for offroading, including saws, shovels, come-a-longs, tow straps etc.
(07-31-2016, 02:44 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: In addition to a pack with many similar items....
I always ( in each vehicle ) have a small elec powered air pump and a plugger kit for the tires. Nothing like being out where ever and having a flat or two.
Nice thing is many times I've plugged it right on the car without un-mounting.
( carry a Stop&Go and normal gummie worms with insert tool )

Stop & Go is usu quick;
[Image: 0000-stop---go-tubeless-tire-plug-gun----mcss.jpg]

Well I just learned something new!  Now on my list of things to add to the GHB, thank you. Wink

(07-31-2016, 09:39 PM)Sauced08 Wrote: I think it would be informative to include our general area and why we carry certain items. I live in the upstate of SC so what I carry would be different than someone from say an urban area up north.
Right now it's hotter than it has a right to be so I carry several canteens and water treatments. Very little in the way of fire starting equipment ( I will add more in the fall). The area I most likely will have to traverse is mostly neighborhoods of a suburban type. Most people I would have to deal with are your typical religious southerners. Polite and most are willing to help within reason. So other than water canteens and some emergency rations all I really carry is some direction finding tools, a poncho and a leatherman. My glock 19 is on me all the time regardless. If something major was to happen for the most part, people here would work together, for a while at least. I look forward to reading what people in other areas pack and why. It would help the rest of us if we ever had to travel through those places.

Put Florida down as a place to carry extra water and/or the means to filter water.  Many areas of Florida you'll find ready water sources well within short walking distances so 'normally' finding water isn't an issue.  I carry several of the metal 32oz bottles in each vehicle.  I think I've got about a gallon on hand.  In addition I have either a Saywer or Berkey water filter bottle and lifestraws.

(08-01-2016, 02:25 PM)mac66 Wrote: All my vehicles have road kits...small air compressor...

Just added that to the wife's van, need to get one for my SUV.  Combined with Tom's Stop-N-Go could help to get you out of a tight spot!

In case you didn't look at a video

I've used the Stop and Go about 8 times so far... and it does work well. ( carry one on my motorcycle too )
The insertion part screws on to the awl.... you stick the pointed awl into the nail hole then unscrew it leaving the insertion part behind. The mushroom plug is inserted into the gun and it gets screwed onto the insertion part that's still in the tire... a few pulls of the handle and the mushroom goes thru... pull gun and insertion part out with plug in place.

It's neat to try it a few time on a tire off the rim so you can actually see whats happening. ( drill small hole in old tire first of course )
(08-01-2016, 02:53 PM)David Wrote:
(08-01-2016, 02:25 PM)mac66 Wrote: All my vehicles have road kits...small air compressor...

Just added that to the wife's van, need to get one for my SUV.  Combined with Tom's Stop-N-Go could help to get you out of a tight spot!

That stop and go thing is neat, never heard of it before. I've been using a manual plug kit for years.

In regards to a 12 v compressor, I've found the ones by the people who make Slime for tires works pretty well. I have them in my wife's and daughter's cars
(08-02-2016, 03:17 AM)mac66 Wrote: In regards to a 12 v compressor, I've found the ones by the people who make Slime for tires works pretty well. I have them in my wife's and daughter's cars

Yes, rated high and small , most of my MC buddies carry the Slime air pump too.

As a PS to the Stop & Go;
they work well and are quick, but long term left in a steel belted tire, the stock rubber plugs can degrade over time from the steel chewing the plug ( long term not short, as many just plug and forget).  
Ive found the better replacement plugs which have the better "gummie" shafts to work better with steel belts for those that DON'T pull the tire later and use a real Plug-Patch from the inside. It works sort of like the gummie ropes and are self-vulcanizing type plugs.
Guess it all depends on the life of the repair you want.
( BTW, a plug - patch is the one of the few tire manf's approved repair, it seals the air from getting in between the plies and plugs the actual hole too )

Gummie plug for Stop - Go
http://patchboy.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scr...ry_Code=ki