Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vehicle GHB/trunk gun
In other threads we've talked specifics about what should go into a vehicles emergency kit and what type of firearm makes a good trunk gun.  I drove out of state Friday (from Florida to South Carolina) and back again on Saturday.  About 750 miles round trip give or take.  I was picking up my son and niece who were vacationing with family up in S.C.  It was nice to have a GHB stocked up with multiple useful items as well as my HP 995TS 9mm carbine (along with my off duty Glock 19).  Didn't need any of it fortunately, but it was nice to have onboard just in case.

Just tossing that out there as I was thinking about it after the trip  Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I have a friend who uses a rifle case like below as a get home bag. It has shoulder straps to carry like a back pack and enough room and pockets to carry clothes, first aid kit, food (MRE entrees) and of course food and ammo. He has one in every vehicle. They are really intended as tactical rifle cases but he typically carries a single shot H&R shotgun or Ruger 10/22 rifle. That leaves enough room for lots of other survival stuff. The outer pockets hold a lot of stuff and there are molle straps to attach other stuff like FAKS, canteens etc.

[Image: 12302tn_1_zpsewi341gy.png]

This bag above happens to be made by Drago, but Voodoo Tactical and others label the same bag. Palmetto State Armory (PSA) often sells their own labeled version for about half (around $50).

I have about 5 of these cases but I don't use them as GHBs. They are a bit bulky for that. I use them for my ARs and AKs. In my case I pack a rifle or two, a bunch of loaded mags, extra ammo and accessories (mag pouches, cleaning gear etc). Each one is labeled as to what's in it. It is really intended to be used as an All-In One bags to move my tactical rifles quickly and easily.

As mentioned in other threads, my primary truck/trunk gun (other than my carry pistol) is an AR pistol. I do always carry a taken down single shot gun in my vehicles. I keep one in a tool box in the bed of my truck and I have a 20 ga in my wife's Ford Escape in the jack storage hatch under the rear deck.
Ya know Mac, you're really making me want a single-shot 12g  Big Grin

And let's not even get into the SKS thing because I'd like one of those too.  Right now I'll have to be satisfied with the 995TS, which is actually a good choice for me I think since I carry a 9mm off duty anyway.  Thinking about getting one or more of the 20-round magazines for the 995TS as they've been out now for a while and have had great reviews.  Can't think of a single negative I've heard about them.  Only thing I can possibly think of as a negative would be trying to fire from the prone position due to how it sticks out of the magazine well.

the 20 round 995TS mags are decent now? When I owned one, all that was out was 15 round pro mags and they were crap

which is why I changed to a JRC that takes glock 9mm mags.

I'm a city dweller, so a 12g won't do me much good. I'd love to find a good deal on a keltech sub 2000 that takes glock mags. I love how they fold in half. Stick it in a bag and put it under the seat, or under the spare tire, etc..
(08-02-2016, 11:21 PM)ric0123 Wrote: the 20 round 995TS mags are decent now? When I owned one, all that was out was 15 round pro mags and they were crap

20 Round Magazine Red Ball NEW!!

The 15 rounders from Promag are not authorized by Hi Point and voids the lifetime warranty.  These new 20 rounders from Red Ball are authorized and are even sold on the HP website. Gene here on the board has them and from him, and everyone I've talked with that has them, they're great and function extremely well.  A bit odd looking but since it's a single stack there really isn't a lot of choice.

As per the GHB thread, I've added a tire repair kit and an air compressor to each GHB.

As I have stated in other threads, when going on a trip, it is the JRC Takedown model in a backpack with 3-33 round magazines. It works nicely with our Glock setup.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How "prepped" is your VEHICLE? Bob 34 6,269 09-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Bob