Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, it is offical...
...there is a thief stealing from my garden.
I just went out to get a tomato and bowl of fresh figs for dinner, and the tomato that should have been ripe (saw it a few days ago, about 1/2 green) is gone.  Not on the ground, not on the vine, just gone. 
No doubt some jerk when through my garden and snatched it for themselves.  Bad enough they take my figs, oranges, and tangerines, but not they are taking my vegetables. Sad
That really sucks. Time to setup the trail camera!
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
You thinking two or four footed thief?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I have a problem with chipmunks staling my tomatoes. I have eradicated 6 of those pests in the past 3 weeks.
(07-14-2016, 07:40 PM)David Wrote: You thinking two or four footed thief?

I was guessing two footed (as only dogs, cats, opossums, and armadillos around here).  But, I have since learned that both armadillos and opossums will eat a tomato, and this one that disappeared was very close to the ground, so now I don't know.
Actually, it if was a critter, I feel better.  I can keep stuff off the ground higher, and they shouldn't be eating my greens.  People stealing my stuff is frustrating as hell. 
I had to tell an old guy who lives down the street that he could no longer have any oranges from my naval tree, as after getting my okay to take a few oranges, he showed up  with a grocery bag and was ready to strip the tree bare.  WTH is wrong with people?
Had a problem with squirrels and tomatoes... the buggers would eat a small part and drop it.

Rat traps and peanut butter took care of a few that were causing problems.
(07-15-2016, 12:30 AM)Tsquare Wrote: I have a problem with chipmunks staling my tomatoes. I have eradicated 6 of those pests in the past 3 weeks.

My brother was/is having an issue with chipmunks and squirrels.  To the point they were getting up inside his truck and eating through wires and such.  Cost him some hard earned money to fix.  So he's got out the traps and is putting that new Taurus Judge to use.  We've had a few minor issues with squirrels but our fence seems to keep most of them out.  If not, well I guess that's free target practice with the pellet rifles.

Dr. Dickie
Quote:People stealing my stuff is frustrating as hell.  

I had to tell an old guy who lives down the street that he could no longer have any oranges from my naval tree, as after getting my okay to take a few oranges, he showed up  with a grocery bag and was ready to strip the tree bare.  WTH is wrong with people?

Yep, feel your pain.  We use to have a lemon tree right in the front yard.  Most folks asked if they could pick a couple and that was fine.  But we use to have a couple living next to us that had a toddler and she was a spoiled little...em, brat.  She'd pick them off green just to toss them into the road.  Until my wife caught her and put the fear of God into her.

Big Grin

Same with our papaya tree that goes above our fence line.  We've had folks we don't even know ring the bell asking if they could pick one.  

If you have a pellet rifle it would go a long way towards curtailing activity in the garden...if you see it.  Otherwise like Tom says, a good trap works while your asleep and they're out and about.

(07-15-2016, 01:41 PM)Tom Mac Wrote: Had a problem with squirrels and tomatoes... the buggers would eat a small part and drop it.

Rat traps and peanut butter took care of a few that were causing problems.

Trouble is, I have two cats and I KNOW they would get their paws into it.
Sounds like it's pellet rifle time!   ar15

Chipmunks can be killed with a 5 gallon bucket that is 1/2 full of water, two handfuls of sunflower seeds, and two short 2x4's to set one as a plank across the top of the bucket and the other to work as a ladder for the critters to climb up. I have gotten 6 that way this year.