Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good topic.
(08-29-2015, 02:02 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: To most folk around here,Boones Farm is single malt.'08. Sad

That totally made me gag!!  Nasty...

Been brewing for over 11 years, making mead and wine for about 5 years.  I keg and bottle my stuff.  No distilling...yet...

I love having brewing as a hobby, lots of the equipment can double as water purification equipment in a pinch.  Beer is tasty, so that's a nice side effect   Smile
I used to represent a distiller. My comment today is on making wine at home, assuming it is legal where you reside. Without giving a specific recipe, I will describe what you do and it will take nearly 4 weeks. You get water, sugar, non specific yeast (I am really cheap, but you can get a wine yeast), a large party balloon, an empty 1 gallon wine bottle with a screw top or a cork replacement, a rubber band, a can of Welch's concentrated grape juice from the freezer section of the grocery store.

Defrost the frozen grape juice. Mix all the ingredients. Put the balloon over the opening of the wine bottle (having put the ingredients inside, of course), tie the balloon onto the bottle with a rubber band or it will blow up and fly away! Put in a dark corner. The balloon will expand and then contract. After 3 weeks, you will be able to figure out the balloon has deflated almost completely. Then, you take the balloon off and cap.

Here is what you need to know about spirits:
1. most of the price is federal/state/local taxes.
2. spirits like whisky/rum/vodka don't go bad. Just don't open and they will last for years.
3. wine will continue to ferment. This is why you MUST store in a cool or cold place. Red wines definitely last longer than whites and try to use the whites within two years of purchase.
4. beer will keep only for a few months.
5. choose a spirit for the flavor and not the price. My distiller had three lines of vodka. The ingredients were the same cost, but the pricing at retail was definitely not the same.
6. Be alert to sales. Prices will vary during the year.
7. Here is the commentary on allergies and booze. http://www.bestallergysites.com/alcoholi...allergens/
8. Remember the following when buying booze:
a. after the first drink, most people cannot tell the good stuff from the "bad stuff".
b. the store brands are produced by the same distilleries, just the labels are changed;
c. when I bartend at dances/parties, I keep customer's personal bottles under the counter along with my own. Typically, the "free wine" at a wine and cheese party should be free!
c. my late uncle taught me this. he would take his own bottle to a family party, share a drink with the hosting family member and ask that it be kept for the next party. That works.
d. I will be going to a dance party at a private residence in two weeks. I deliberately buy cheap, cheap wine in bulk for that kind of party. Conversely, the home table wine is a splendid three varietal blend developed in France during the Depression and has been marketed ever since as a low end, quality consistent product for almost 90 years and costs $8 a bottle.
Next. For shtf trading and other than your personal consumption, buy spirits in pint plastic bottles by the case. You will receive a discount.
i would like to learn how to make moonshine any thoughts on where to get started.
(08-26-2017, 05:30 AM)Scout Wrote: i would like to learn how to make moonshine any  thoughts on  where to get started.

That is illegal in most parts of the country. Look at my earlier post about freezer distilled apple jack for a possible work around in some areas. 

The big difference between the freezer method and the distilled version is that the distilled version will produce a much more potent liquid and Uncle Sugar wants his tax money on it. Freezer distilling is considered hobbyist in some areas where it is legal. There are a few things you need to be aware of if you do try to run a still with sour mash. The first alcohol that is vaporized is the wood alcohol and that is poisonous. The stories about rot-gut whiskey causing blindness has a lot of truth in it. You need to know the temperatures that you are cooking at to make sure you have the "right" temp for the alcohol you want.

Stills can be built from copper or glass with the evaporation tubes and cooling towers. There are plans on the internet. Another alternative is to purchase one from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GAL-alcohol-dis...Sw1xhZm4Tq

Once you understand the process and have your still you still need a "recipe" for the mash. For people that make shine that recipe is highly protected. It is typically a grain that is brought up to 170 degrees in a solution of water and other things to help with the flavors. The reason for this is that you want to convert the starch in the grain to sugar. Once it starts to cool add corn sugar to get a specific gravity of 1.055 - 1.070 adjusted for temperature. when it reaches 90 degrees pitch a yeast that can withstand a high alcohol fermentation. Fermentation will stop when the specific gravity is down to about 1.003-1.009 or so. Water has a specific gravity of 1.

At that point you want to cook off the alcohol. Again, you have to know how to cook off the bad alcohol and do that first. Then the rest of the process goes along until you have your shine. Be aware cooking sour mash is very smelly and the smell of a working still will carry for miles. There are sights on the internet that provide a detailed process and recipes. Understanding beer making and wine making will help understanding where distilling is the next level.

Not that I know anything about this kind of illegal activity.
I thought it was only illegal if you sold it.
There are "amount" of limits.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Different states have different laws.
Check out the laws at yer bol.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Federal (not state):
TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND FIREARMS
CHAPTER I--ALCOHOL AND TOBACCO TAX AND TRADE BUREAU, DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
PART 24_WINE--Table of Contents
Subpart C_Administrative and Miscellaneous Provisions
Sec. 24.75 Wine for personal or family use.
(a) General. Any adult may, without payment of tax, produce wine for personal or family use and not for sale.
(b) Quantity. The aggregate amount of wine that may be produced exempt from tax with respect to any household may not exceed:
(1) 200 gallons per calendar year for a household in which two or more adults reside, or
(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult residing in the household.
© Definition of an adult. For the purposes of this section, an adult is any individual who is 18 years of age or older. However, if the locality in which the household is located has established by law a greater minimum age at which wine may be sold to individuals, the term ``adult'' will mean an individual who has attained that age.
(. .....
(f) Removal. Wine produced under this section may be removed from the premises where made for personal or family use including use at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions, such as home winemaker's contests, tastings or judgings, but may not under any circumstances be sold or offered for sale. ...
Interesting topic which I somehow missed before.

We have Jimmy Carter to thank for the ability to make beer at home (legally). He signed the bill which kicked off the home brew hobby which then created the craft beer industry. The craft brew industry forced changes in laws (often breaking the beer distributors monopoly on where beer can be consumed and used). The craft beer industry in turn is helping change the laws concerning distilled spirits. In my state the laws that changed to allow breweries and wineries to sell and consume their products on premises also allows them to sell and consume spirits as well. It is not a big step for them to start making craft spirits like vodka, gin and some whiskies and many are now doing that*. As those archaic laws get pushed back I think laws eventually will be passed to allow personal distilling. Wouldn't be surprised to see home distilling kits pop up on the internet in a few years.

I've made beer a few times using a Mr. Beer setup. It was actually drinkable. My brother is big into home brewing (actually runs Beerborg.com) on the internet. I would really like to try Tony's Applejack recipe.

*Was recently in a brew pub that was giving out samples of their beer barrel aged rye whiskey. It was pretty good.