Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good topic.
Folks have been brewing for millenia and It's quite an easy thing.The feds will allow home brewers a certain amount of their own brew.There are limits that differ between locales so check yer local laws.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Wow,I thought there would be more traffic.Yeast and sugar folks,add fresh fruit and you have a sit an go.'08.

I am partial to cider. I worked in Germany for a few years and any beer outside of Germany makes my taste buds revolt. I am more of a whiskey drinker now if I do have anything to drink.

I used to home brew quite a bit but I have dropped out of it the past 10 years. I have the complete set-up down to a 3 & 5 gal kegging system.
That would be a great barter tool, my brother does a nice peach brandy.'08.

Apple Cider
Take 3 gal apple cider and 1 quart of honey. Warm to 180 degrees for 10 minutes. Once it cools pitch a Danstar Nottingham or Wyeast 4776 yeast with a yeast energizer. Rack once a week until fermentation stops. Once the fermentation process is complete and the carboy is clear rack into keg and flood it with CO2. Let it set overnight at room temp and then put it into keg fridge and once it is cold enjoy.
Note: the Danstar Nottingham or Wyeast 4776 are better suited for cider and does not give the overly dry effect of champaign yeast.

Apple Jack
Take 5 gal apple cider and 1 gal of honey. Warm to 180 degrees for 10 minutes. Once it cools pitch a champaign yeast. After the bubbling has slowed add a tablespoon of yeast energizer to get the yeast to produce as much as possible. Once the fermentation process is complete pour it up into one gallon milk jugs and place in the deep freezer. After 3 days in the freezer remove and cut open the plastic jug and strain with a cheesecloth. I usually end up with 140 to 160 proof hooch. I cut it with apple juice to get it down to 90 to 100 proof so that it is drinkable.
Note: Champaign yeast has a higher alcohol capability. Dryness is not a worry since the product is being freezer distilled and it is being cut with apple juice. You can also run this through a still but you end up with a higher alcohol content and almost no apple flavoring.
To most folk around here,Boones Farm is single malt.'08. Sad

It's been a dead thread... time to wake it up

Real moonshine can be really smooth... Prob is up when up here in NY you can't get anything but crap commercial stuff. It's also illegal to distill spirits here.
( down in VA , lately ms costs can be more than good whiskey I can buy here... lately been drinking Jim Beam Apple & JB honey on ice )

But now it's hot I make a batch of NY legal MS as lemonade-ice tea;

a ltr bottle of 190pf everclear is $22+
add 2 12oz cans of frozen lemonade ( good brand ) 2 for $2
start with 4 cans water ( more if wanted )
Add in some tablespoons of powdered ice tea ( to taste, adds a bit of sweetness too )

You end up with aprox 3 qts of drink at about 60 pf which is a good drinking range for < $25
I jar it and put in fridge, throw over ice.
Tom Mac, the reason I do the Apple Jack in the freezer is to skirt the law down here in GA. A true home distillery is not allowed by the ATF but the freezer distillation is not addressed. It is a gray area as the process is more of wine making process that is taken to a higher level.

A deputy sheriff that I know in NC has a 'shine source (family member) that is probably the best home made hooch I have ever had. He keeps an eye on my BOL when I am not around - he also picks the veggies in my garden when I am not able to go up there. My favorite is the Lemon Drop; a Mason jar with a 90 degree X cross cut lemon filled with shine. Drop a ice cube in a shot glass and fill the glass with the shine, when the ice is melted it is ready to be sipped. If you drink it then it becomes liquid stupidity.
I have had the lemon drop... like it alot.
I do it with just lemon-aid too but most up here like the tea added , which is why above recipe. ( also a bit less strong )

What I do is make the lemon-aid in ice cubes and then bag them for the freezer.
A few fingers of straight corn whiskey with lemonaid ice cubes goes down easy as they melt.

Just last week I had a qt of Blueberry and one of Root beer.
Really good 'hearts' batch. Didn't last long with a bunch of us into it.
Unfortunately the friend only makes the trip up once a month or so.

As to the Apple Jack... What do you get per gallon? a cup?

I may pay taxes in NY, but my heart resides on my property in the VA blue ridge mtns !
Buy bulk,mix to taste.'08.