Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So who's got a boat (of some type)?
Question 
My son and I have a Mad River 16 Adventure canoe.  Got it for $400 on Craigslist and it came with two life jackets, anchor, dry bag and the straps.

[Image: Mad_River_Adventure_16_Mad_River_Kanu_Kanadier.jpg]

Went out and bought a third life jacket and emergency paddle.  Also bought little clip-on strobe lights for each life jacket. 

[Image: LED-Personal-Locator-SplashFlash-Light-Packaged.jpg]
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I use a 14.5 foot sit on top kayak for fishing/camping. Because the St Johns river runs though my territory I have access to two boats on each side of the river. I have a neighbor 5 miles down river that is dock builder and commercial fisherman/crabber with larger boats if needed and his permission to use them.
I have a 14 aluminum boat with a 15hp outboard. Basically for fishing and tooling around. Been looking at getting either kayaks or a canoe. I like to kayak the local river and can borrow a friends' but my wife doesn't like kayaking. A canoe would allow her to go with me.
I'd like to get some type of trolling motor like here:

And something like this:

I have a 12.5 kayak and a 10 foot use it on the gulf and rivers fought a 9 foot lemon shark for about 40 minutes until it rolled my line and piped the line.
I'm going to see about doing a DIY stabilizer for our canoe.  I did tip it once (my fault) and it wasn't a fun experience.  PVC and clamps is easy, just need to figure out what I'm going to use for the actual pontoons.  Going to look for viable but frugal options.

You could use pvc pipe as your pontoon also 4 inch with caps on the end
12 foot aluminum Jon boat with a 6 hp Mercury and a 24 lb trolling motor. Great pond boat.

I have been looking at 18 ft deep V hull center consoles lately. I want something that can get about 25 miles off shore and troll for 6 hours and make it back with at least 1/4 tank of fuel to spare. I had a Whaler 20 years ago like that and that is probably what I am going to end up with again - hopefully.
Took a trip to Lowes yesterday.  Took about 30 minutes in the PVC isle to mentally blueprint out what I'd like to do and then find the parts.  I'm going to use 3 inch PVC on each side like outriggers and make it so that they can be drawn in towards the canoe if I'm going through a tight area.  When I'm done I'll posts some picks. 

Smile