Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sipik SK68
Thumbs Up 
Ebay link

It just occurred to me that I haven't done a thread on the Sipik SK68 (and the plethora of clones).  The SK68 was my first step into the wonderful world of inexpensive LED flashlights.  The above link is to a camo version but they can be purchased in black, blue, green, red, silver, gold and maybe other colors now as well.  They operate on either a AA or 14500 lithium ion battery.  That is a big plus in my opinion.  AA batteries are everywhere so from a prepping perspective it's a good deal.  On a AA you'll get maybe 80 lumens which is not bad at all and more than the old 5 D cell Maglites with incandescent bulb.  On a 14500 lithium ion battery you'll pump up the lumens to around 300!  You can adjust the bezel from flood to focus.  And the bezel has the 'fins' so you can use it as a self defense tool.

It's a simple clicky end button for on and off.  Usually their one-mode but I've also had three-mode for high, medium and low.  You may even find one occasionally with blinky functions.  In the above link the price is $1.99 and you'll find about a million choices for $3.50 or less on Ebay or Amazon.  They can be a little bit of a lottery as far as quality goes these days.  But if you're into modding them they 'can' make a decent platform.  Some have hollow pills and some have solid so keep that in mind.

All in all, a good prepper flashlight as their bright, run on two different batteries and are cheap enough to buy ten or twenty to have stashed in every bag, glove compartment and by every door you own.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
It's amazing that we can get a high powered LED flashlight for $2. Just to think back 10, 20, 30 years to what was available and what it cost. Even if you step up to name brands and good quality the size, power, price point is amazing.
Just bought a black one. Where is a good place to get a 14500 battery and charger?
(05-17-2016, 10:15 PM)Anomander Rake Wrote: Just bought a black one. Where is a good place to get a 14500 battery and charger?

Amazon or Ebay for a good charger.  I have both the Nitecore I2 and I4 and they are excellent and do a good job.  They are smart chargers and will charge lithium ion, nimh and NiCad and automatically know which is which.  And their inexpensive, around $15-$20.

You can also buy good batteries but be careful as there are a lot of copy cat and junk batteries.  Avoid 'almost' anything that is xxxxfire.  There are some exceptions like Trustfire and maybe a couple of others.  Good brands are Sanyo, Samsung, Efest, Keeppower, King Kong, Nitecore and some others.

Here's an example, from a U.S. seller that I've done business with and trust.  Richard is the owner and he has a great reputation on BLF.

Efest 14500 - 800mAh - Protected Button Top

Thanks David, the description mentions that these are larger than other 14500's. Have they fit your lights? I'll pick up a couple or so if they fit.
Hmm, I never noticed that before.  They would probably fit but I don't know for sure.  Take a look at some of the other batteries at Mountain Electronics.  They have a flat top Sanyo that looks really good.  I also have purchased Nitecore batteries like these:

Nitecore 14500 750mAh 3.7V Protected Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Button Top Battery

Thanks for the tips! I have plenty of time to get the right battery setup since the light ships from The People's Republic
You'll be impressed with the difference between AA and 14500!

One more question David. Does it matter if the battery has a button or flat top?
Normally it doesn't.  In some lights a flat top 'may' be too short to make a good connection but usually it's fine.  If for some reason it doesn't make a good connection you can do simple fixes like add a drop of solder or even use tin foil folded up with enough layers to make a good connection.  I did the tin foil think with one of my Trustfire A8 lights.  Works fine.  But you'll probably be fine without any of that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sipik sk68 - gift package bdcochran 3 310 08-31-2019, 02:37 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Sipik Disaster Bob 11 1,486 11-21-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: bmyers