Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shooting what you carry.
How often do you shoot your carry gun? 99.9% of my shooting is competition. Mostly with a Glock 17, but my 625, 9mm SBR, and Benelli are in there too. Once or twice a year we will shoot a "BUG" gun match and use our little carry guns. My main carry piece is a Kahr .380 that is just about the tiniest little gun you can get. It is way different than my other guns, but I've always had a knack for being able to shoot different guns well. 

So how often do you guys practice with your carry guns?
I have the option of shooting monthly at our open range days (nights).  This would be for my off-duty Glock 19 or our duty Glock 21 and Remington 870 SG.  Less often would be with my own Mossy 500 or the HP carbines.  But try to go every other month or so and take the family.  

But I personally do most of my shooting with my off-duty Glock 19.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I'm lucky to be retired and have a local indoor range at the VOA club...
My carry gun gets fired at least 2x a month. ( 95% of the time I carry a G20 with a crossbreed iwb )
I carry a G26. I go to the range and shoot my G37 45GAP and Taurus PT92AF 9mm weekly. Once a month I will include the G26 and I will shoot a magazine of my carry ammo and my "clone" ammo that is similar enough firing it I cannot tell the difference; it is also a JHP with the same profile/load but not the expensive SD bullets that I carry.

I find that if I do not frequent the pistol range often my skills tend to drop of quite fast. If I go at least twice a month I am at a maintenance mode. For rifle I can maintain the skillset with 2 or 3 trips a year and I go at least once every 3 months for rifle. I haven't shot competition in over 20 years and I know I will never be at that level again.
I shoot against our local leos, they don't like me much.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
(04-29-2016, 07:10 AM)kirgi08 Wrote: I shoot against our local leos, they don't like me much.'08.

I just got into a kerfuffle on Glocktalk for even suggesting that police officers generally aren't the best shooters. In my experience, the ones on each department that are good usually enjoy it as a hobby and shoot on their own time. Or, they are the training offcers who get to shoot much more frequently.
(04-29-2016, 04:12 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 07:10 AM)kirgi08 Wrote: I shoot against our local leos, they don't like me much.'08.

I just got into a kerfuffle on Glocktalk for even suggesting that police officers generally aren't the best shooters. In my experience, the ones on each department that are good usually enjoy it as a hobby and shoot on their own time. Or, they are the training offcers who get to shoot much more frequently.

I have my NRA Range Safety Officer cert and I will help out sometimes with the local town's police department when it is time for them to re-qualify (I get to use their range in payment). About 10-20% are good shooters and the rest will qualify. There is always one or two that will bolo and will get remedial training.  BTW: I consider myself a fair shot, I need to be a bit better to be a good shot. 

I try to stay away from the Cop forum on Glocktalk and avoid the Civil Liberties much of the time also. There are way too many self-righteous people posting there. I have also noticed the general attitude has gone a bit south over the past year and a lot more posts about pot. The only forums I keep up with is the reloading and general glocking.
I don't go into those sections either. This was in General Glocking. I was accused of being a cop hater because I pointed out that in general they get very limited training and infrequent requalification. It's not even their fault really. They are hamstrung by limited time in the academy and limited training budget on the job.
A lot of our city leo are anti gun anyway so I avoid them.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
I have met some that are anti-gun, or at least anti civilians having guns.

Mostly they are just not shooters. The academy was the first time they shot and they only "practice" at annual quals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woods carry: Revolver David 12 177 11-07-2019, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Bob
  NZ shooting bmyers 3 282 05-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Woods carry: .40 S&W or .357sig? David 33 5,220 04-18-2019, 10:48 PM
Last Post: fishingjeff
  Single Stack Carry Thread (w/pics) David 26 3,426 04-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Last Post: bmyers
  Winter hurts shooting skills bmyers 6 470 03-23-2019, 12:33 PM
Last Post: David