Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knives and knife reviews (custom)
I thought I'd be a good guy and make a new thread

So, the story behind these knives.

First, in the middle (all black) is the Gerber Prodigy.  I bought it many years ago when I wanted a 'real' knife, not a cheap one from Academy. I ordered it online I think.  When it first came in, I immediately hated the sheath. I HATE overly 'tactical' gear.. meaning, MOLLE webbing having over every inch of it. I swear, this thing had straps and Velcro and snaps hanging all over it. There are still things on it that don't make sense to me.  Regardless, I cut away some of the misc crap and used the open spots to weave some accessory cord through the sheath (for purposes of making a bow drill during  Z day, but that's another thread). 

I did LOVE the grip. I still do. Very comfortable.  Not really all that impressed with the blade, it's sharpness, or the blade shape.

After my first field trip with it, (batoning, other outdoor stuff) I was impressed with the durability of the blade, but not with it's sharpness and I decided that I HATED serrations and I think they are pretty much worthless. When batoning, I found that they would snag in the wood.  So then I started to look for a 'good' knife that did not have serrations.

Enter knife #2..  Condor Radan   (black knife with green handle).  First, the Condor knives have great reviews.  They also are very in expensive (I won't call them cheap).  I think my Gerber Prodigy was $65 at the time and the Condor was about $35.  The Condor is also actually heavier. Blade is thicker. It feels like a butcher knife.    Simple sheath, which I liked.  However, the handle is THICK.  Like, 1.75 inches. I have big hands, but damn it's big. It's also very slick (smooth). I was very uncomfortable slinging it around in bare, sweaty hands.  The green tape is tennis racket grip tape, and I put a rope through the lanyard hole, which comes in handy because the knife goes almost entirely into the sheath and it's hard to extract with out it.  Batons well, but if you look closely, it does NOT have a very sharp 'point' so making your spindle hole for a bow drill is very hard, or any other 'pointy' work. I did discover that the thick grip is AWESOME if you are wearing gloves.  I used this thing as a chopper for clearing brush, and for that purpose, it's weight,  thick grip and heavy blade made it fantastic. I wouldn't call it a bushcraft knife.  Also, the paint coating didn't last for more than 5 seconds

I then began my search for an  in expensive, non serrated knife with a better point and no coating.  I liked the Condor line so I looked around for something from them.  Randomly, I discovered that you could buy Condor knives with just the blanks... with no handle. I've been watching 'forged in fire' far too much and I've done some leather work, so I wanted to take a shot at doing it myself, and to save a few bucks.  You can get them on Amazon, but

baryonyxknife.com

had better pricing on some of them, and for an extra $3 you can have him re grind it with a Scandi grind.

I got the thing shipped for under $25.

The handle is two pieces of veg tan leather glued onto the blade, cut to shape and then wrapped in orange accessory cord from REI (I dislike paracord actually).  Though I do have big fat hands and this handle is pretty thin, it was comfortable this weekend and the entire thing lays flat. I know the sheath looks like crap, but again, it is very light and lays flat in my pack

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I came very close to getting the Condor Radan. A lot of good reviews and for the price it was very tempting. But I ended up getting the OTC 499. Your review has helped me put in on the back burner for if/when the 499 ever messes up.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Morakniv has a new model coming out. The Garberg.

https://issuu.com/morakniv/docs/morakniv...lder_issuu

While from first impressions, it seems to be the best knife Mora has engineered yet. The price bothers me. Mora has always came out with top quality knives at ridiculously low prices. The Bushcraft/Black is debatable. But at MSRP at $99 I'll have have to see how bombproof this knife is standing in a lineup of keen competition in the "survival knife" market.

IMO, it may only beat my lowly Companion HD by a few extra inches by being a full tang knife.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Becker Knife and tool.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I know about becker stuff. I have a friend that owns about 6 of them. Essee also. I'm keeping my eye on the lower end of the price spectrum. I ALMOST ordered a BK2 just to see if we could destroy it when I discovered Condor.
I am still hoping Kabar reintroduces the Becker Brute. One of my all time favorite big knives.
The Gerber Prodigy looks very much like my Gerber LMFII.  I don't recall now how much I paid for it, but I remember it was on sale for a very good price.  It's been a good knife although I would have like the sheath to have some sort of ferro rod attached to it like the Gerber BG's Knives.  Having the sharpener is a nice touch though.  

I don't have one anymore (and wish I never traded it), but I use to have a Cold Steel SRK that I really liked quite a bit.  I'd get another one but the prices are beyond what I want to spend on one.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
The prodigy is the little brother to the LMFII. They are very, very similar.. The Prodigy is about 15% smaller than the LMF. I saw at walmart that they do in fact make a prodigy with out serrations, but I've moved past them now. I'm really lusting after a TOPS Brothers of Bushcraft knife, but I don't feel like spending $130. The Condor stuff is pretty awesome, for the money they are a real tough contender.

I'm not a big fan of Essee knives, I don't care for their blade shapes or handle shapes. I like more of a drop point. My learning experience with the Radans very blunted tip has helped me realize that having a really pointy tip is very important for most outdoor / survival /bushcraft situations. Chopper, not so much, but if you're only going to carry one knife you need to make sure that it can do everything to a reasonable degree of success.

I'm slowly losing interest in 'tactical' knives (K Bar, Gerber, Essee, Becker) and looking more at bush crafting knives. I think they have more intelligent designs to them. . and are generally less expensive. I mean, look at the Mora knives, which are fantastic, designed well, and stupid cheap
(05-30-2016, 04:04 PM)ric0123 Wrote: I'm slowly losing interest in 'tactical' knives (K Bar, Gerber, Essee, Becker) and looking more at bush crafting knives. I think they have more intelligent designs to them.  . and are generally less expensive.  I mean, look at the Mora knives, which are fantastic, designed well, and stupid cheap

Link (look at post #6)

Big thumbs up for Mora knives!  In that link are the Bahco Carpenter knives that are the same thing as a Mora Clipper except in SS instead of carbon steel.  I got these when they were a box of 15 for like $101 shipped (I think Mac is the one that turned me on to them).  These are fantastic knives and although the term 'razor' sharp gets tossed out a lot...these things are cut-you-if-you're-not-careful sharp.  I personally had a bit of a struggle getting them shipped to me in a timely fashion but others have had no issue.  I will say the company isn't honest enough to publish negative reviews because I made one in regards to their shipping and CS.  However, the knives themselves are top notch and have Sweden right on the blades.  

I have the Mora Classic and Clippers as well and for a good bushcrafting knife they (and the Bahco above) just can't be beat for what is offered and the price.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I bought my nephew the mora heavy duty for about $14 on amazon in bright orange. I guess in my old age I'm losing the appear of 'tacti cool' stuff. As I mentioned, I'm more interested in light weight/bush craft type stuff these days. I can't stand Molle webbing hanging all over everything and a half a pound of kydex.

I saw the link in the other forum to the guy that has kickstarted 'the ultimate survival knife' for $400. Yeah, if Cody Lundien can wander around the woods with a $15 mora, I think that $400 is over kill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Knife making? ric0123 5 276 06-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Wolfman
  Knife selection process bdcochran 5 376 05-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Wolfman
  Cold Steel Rajah III, Small Knife with a Big Knife Feel. TN.Frank 2 191 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM
Last Post: David
  Don't Forget the Knives! TN.Frank 6 1,788 04-07-2018, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Tsquare
  Esee knives bmyers 10 649 04-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Long Term Carbon Steel knife storage Glockzilla10mm 5 1,452 11-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
Question What's your EDC pocket knife? David 56 18,663 10-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Last Post: bdcochran
  New Knife video, Enjoy. TN.Frank 2 831 08-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Last Post: TN.Frank
  Favorite inexpensive knives - under $20 justsaymo 5 1,174 06-21-2017, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Bob
  My top knife picks from 2016 TN.Frank 6 1,633 04-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Anomander Rake