Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quail

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I harvested the first four quail this afternoon.  Not difficult at all and the YT videos really helped out.  We'll be cooking them tonight  Smile

I've been incubating 32 eggs.  Last night and today 22 of them have hatched.  That's the best hatch rate I've had so far  Smile

So, was the quail good?
Yeah it was quite tasty.  We wrapped it in bacon to keep it moist and I enjoyed it very much.  Not a ton of meat of course but a couple of quail would make a good meal.  Or one if you've got a nice side dish.  There's a quail egg stir fry I want to try, recipes down in the Food/recipe sub-section.  Overall I give the whole project a big thumbs up.

As far as an update, I've got 8 laying hens now and two roosters of age.  I also have 2 hens and 1 rooster that are pretty close to a month old so in 2-3 weeks those hens will start laying. Had to laugh though, out of the 11 in the last batch...9 were roosters!  O'well, that will give me 8 more quail to harvest in a couple of weeks or so.  Out of this current batch of 22 I'm looking for at least 6 of them to be hens.  That will give me 16 layers when the rest get of age.  I'll keep one more rooster out of that batch and the rest will be supper.  I may see if anyone wants any of the hens though.  Hate to eat a layer unless no other options.  

No hatches over night so 22 may be the number out of this incubation.  That's nearly a 70% hatch rate, which is my best hatch rate so far.  Very excited!

A couple of them have splayed legs.  YT suggests using a small snip of straw and a small rubber band to correct.  I'm trying that so we'll see what happens.  First time it's happened.

Wow, you seem to have it down.
How often do the layers produce eggs?
Once they hit maturity (in the 6-8 week range) they lay an egg just about daily for the first year.  After that they may slow down a bit but from what I've read they stay fertile for years.  I've talked with one guy that has one like 7 years old that still lays fertile eggs.

And that YT fix with the rubber band and straw worked on the two that had splayed legs.  They seem to be walking much better.  That's pretty cool!

Looks like Monday I'll be harvesting 8 more quail.  All roosters.  The 21 that are in the brooder right now will be going to the grow out cage afterwards.  That will put them at 3 weeks old so the plan is to see how many hens I have out of that group and harvest the rest.  Looking for at least 6 hens which will give me a total of 16 hens.  For now that should be sufficient for our needs.  I'll harvest the rest on or about the 30th of this month.  

I'll start saving eggs today for the next batch.

(08-03-2016, 02:00 PM)David Wrote: Looks like Monday I'll be harvesting 8 more quail.  All roosters.  The 21 that are in the brooder right now will be going to the grow out cage afterwards.  That will put them at 3 weeks old so the plan is to see how many hens I have out of that group and harvest the rest.  Looking for at least 6 hens which will give me a total of 16 hens.  For now that should be sufficient for our needs.  I'll harvest the rest on or about the 30th of this month.  

I'll start saving eggs today for the next batch.

Ok, got all of that accomplished.  The 8 are harvested and in the freezer.  The others are in two grow out cages.  I plan on starting to incubate another batch tonight.   Smile

Newest batch hatched yesterday.  So far 15 of 24 eggs have hatched.  That's 62.5%.  Hoping more will hatch today.  Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star David's rabbit & quail thread David 18 2,901 12-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  David's quail thread David 5 1,583 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: David