Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quail
Have a total of six now!  Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Congratulations!
Looks like a great set-up.
Thank you.   Smile

I opened up the unhatched eggs and they were unfertilized, which isn't a surprise on the first batch.  I've washed and sanitized the incubator for the next incubation.  I plan on starting this evening before I go to bed.  The plan is to incubate 24 eggs this time.  I anticipate a much higher hatch % this time around.  About 8 of the eggs have been in the refrigerator but I'm understanding that is fine.  They're out of the fridge and they'll have abut 8-9 hours to warm up to room temperature.

Thumbs Up 
25 placed in the incubator last night.  Smile

You are going to be knee deep in quails!!
I hope you like the way they taste (never had quail, pheasant yes, but not quail).
(06-09-2016, 10:56 AM)Dr. Dickie Wrote: You are going to be knee deep in quails!!
I hope you like the way they taste (never had quail, pheasant yes, but not quail).

All part of the plan  Big Grin

Right now I have two 2x2 cages with a ratio of 3:1 (hens to roosters).  So I've got six hens and two roosters providing 4-6 eggs per day consistently.  My plan is to add four more 2x2 cages with either a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio.  That will give me a 12-16 more hens (18-22 total) and 4 more roosters (6 total).  When they're of laying age (6-8 weeks) then I'll be up around 15-20 eggs per day.  

Then I can start into the harvesting phase for the excess.   It will be 2-3 weeks before I can tell the sex of the six I have right now in the brooder.  Of the six, I'm hoping for at least three of them to be hens, four would be better.  Then I'd have my 3:1/4:1 ratio to fill one 2x2 cage.  Then we'll see what the hatch ratio is out of this current batch of 25 in the incubator and see if I can fill the remainder of the three 2x2 cages.  Any excess will go to a 4x2 grow out cage for harvesting as well as future hatches.  

That's the plan anyway.  Got to have a plan  Smile

So far out of the 25 eggs I've had 10 hatch.  Six last night and four this morning.  Hoping quite a few more hatch today!  So far I've risen from a 25% hatch rate to a 40% hatch rate.  So the more that hatch today the higher that % goes and the better I'll be liking it!

The six from the first hatch went into their cages last night.  Looks like four are roosters and two are hens.  I'll have to see what I'm going to do with that ratio.  Hoping this second batch yields a lot of hens.

Well, a total of 11 hatched.  That's almost double last time.  I haven't opened the unhatched eggs yet but suspect they probably weren't fertilized.  I'll see about doing another hatch before long.

Smile

(06-29-2016, 04:13 PM)David Wrote: Well, a total of 11 hatched.  That's almost double last time.  I haven't opened the unhatched eggs yet but suspect they probably weren't fertilized.  I'll see about doing another hatch before long.

Smile

When you say "doing" another batch,  you aren't fertilizing these by hand-so to speak? Big Grin

Congrats on all the quail. Really wish I had the room, but right now the garden is all the work I can handle.
Incubating 32 now.  The 11 in the brooder are doing well and gaining size.  The 6 outside continue to do well and probably looking at sending 4 of them to freezer camp in a couple of weeks or so.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star David's rabbit & quail thread David 18 3,945 12-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  David's quail thread David 5 2,002 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: David